HDD dying in laptop?

failblox

Our family has a ~6 year old Toshiba Satellite L300 which has been doing pretty well up until somewhat recently shortly after I upgraded it to Windows 10. I notice that things tend to be a bit more sluggish than they were in Windows 8.1, but that might just be because it's such an old laptop.

Anyways, the problem that's currently confusing me is that I'm getting errors when reading from certain sectors in the imaging software (Acronis True Image 2015) that I use to backup that computer. There appears to be many errors and here's a look at three of them (they all look really similar so I clicked "Ignore All" after a few of them):

http://puu.sh/jviCX/48de99de6a.png

http://puu.sh/jviNS/0fc37744d7.png

http://puu.sh/jviUt/8332d8d09c.png

The backup completes normally after clicking "Ignore All".

After seeing these sector errors, I ran chkdsk to make sure it wasn't just the program that was giving me errors. Now here's where it gets confusing for me:

http://puu.sh/jvCOM/a0bcd0344f.png

If you take a look at the screenshot, chkdsk doesn't seem to be reporting anything wrong.

I'm confused as to whether or not I should trust what my imaging software is saying or what chkdsk is saying. Is the hard drive dying or should I not worry about it? Yes, I know it's an old laptop and it's time is probably due sometime soon, but I'd rather not waste another drive by having to throw a new one in if I don't have to. Any replies would be greatly appreciated! :)

Oh and I forgot to mention - there isn't anything abnormal that I can hear from the HDD (i.e. clicking noises).

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Download Crystal Disk Info check Reallocated Sectors Count. Number under raw values to be exact.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

So your computer has slowed down since you upgraded to Windows 10? What are the rest of your specs? Also no, software will not always detect if there is something wrong with your drive.

So your computer has slowed down since you upgraded to Windows 10? What are the rest of your specs? Also no, software will not always detect if there is something wrong with your drive.

Well it was already slow before upgrading but sometimes it'll freeze up even when I'm just doing a couple of things at once.

Toshiba Satellite L300:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz)

RAM: 4GB

HDD: FUJITSU MHZ2320BH G1 (320 GB)

Most of the other specs of the laptop are pretty generic but if you need anything else I'll be glad to tell you. So if software can't detect it is there any other way I could tell?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Download Crystal Disk Info check Reallocated Sectors Count. Number under raw values to be exact.

Ooook this doesn't look very good.

http://puu.sh/jztPo/5b1ae342eb.png

So what exactly does this mean?

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

The Drive appears to be dying, it may run like this for another year and it might die out tomorrow, i would back up my data if i had something of value on that drive.

^^^ This. Many times this. Back up anything of value for you.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Oh wow, it doesn't even give you a number value. The drive is pretty much FUBAR. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The Drive appears to be dying, it may run like this for another year and it might die out tomorrow, i would back up my data if i had something of value on that drive.

Here's another screenshot with some more info:

http://puu.sh/jztZe/c817cf0fda.png

Yeah that's what I was afraid of :\

Looks like this laptop is nearing the end of it's life. Fortunately I was already backing up my data daily so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If I can salvage any spare drives I might throw that in there since the HDD seems to be the only thing wrong with this laptop and we're kinda tight on money right now so I'd like to keep this thing up and running if I can.

Thanks a lot for the help though everyone! :D

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Here's another screenshot with some more info:

http://puu.sh/jztZe/c817cf0fda.png

Yeah that's what I was afraid of :\

Looks like this laptop is nearing the end of it's life. Fortunately I was already backing up my data daily so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If I can salvage any spare drives I might throw that in there since the HDD seems to be the only thing wrong with this laptop and we're kinda tight on money right now so I'd like to keep this thing up and running if I can.

Thanks a lot for the help though everyone! :D

Holy shit, how is that drive even running ? Glad to help. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Holy shit, how is that drive even running ? Glad to help. :)

What should those values be normally so I know what to expect in the future?

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

What should those values be normally so I know what to expect in the future?

Zero. Even couple reallocated sectors is fishy, this much is... i got nothing. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Ooook this doesn't look very good.

http://puu.sh/jztPo/5b1ae342eb.png

So what exactly does this mean?

That is a S.M.A.R.T test and your HDD is slowly dying, as someone said above, it could die in a year or tomorrow

I have a 2006/07 laptop, a toshiba satellite m105 that originally came with Windows Vista and has lower specs than yours, core2duo T2350 @ 1.87Ghz 4Gb of RAM (3 usable because of 32bit processor/OS) and a 60Gb KINGSTON V300 SSD recently loaded with Windows 10 (ARRR) and it is pretty snappy and fast even with the SATA 1 interface cap for a SSD(SATA3)

So my best recommendation would be buy a SSD, and upgrade the laptop, dont throw it away just because the HDD is dying

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

Zero. Even couple reallocated sectors is fishy, this much is... i got nothing. :D

Damn. I don't really know what to say either.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

That is a S.M.A.R.T test and your HDD is slowly dying, as someone said above, it could die in a year or tomorrow

I have a 2006/07 laptop, a toshiba satellite m105 that originally came with Windows Vista and has lower specs than yours, core2duo T2350 @ 1.87Ghz 4Gb of RAM (3 usable because of 32bit processor/OS) and a 60Gb KINGSTON V300 SSD recently loaded with Windows 10 (ARRR) and it is pretty snappy and fast even with the SATA 1 interface cap for a SSD(SATA3)

So my best recommendation would be buy a SSD, and upgrade the laptop, dont throw it away just because the HDD is dying

I have a couple SSDs in my main rig (one I use mainly for random operating systems like OS X or Linux distros) so I think I'll throw one of those into the laptop. Definitely agree with you though on not getting rid of it cause the rest of the laptop might be a little battered up but it's still running.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Damn. I don't really know what to say either.

Oh well, what you can do. But definitely add Crystal disk info to your ''IT Toolbox'' it's quicker to use and gives you more info than chkdsk command. :) 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Oh well, what you can do. But definitely add Crystal disk info to your ''IT Toolbox'' it's quicker to use and gives you more info than chkdsk command. :)

Yeah I definitely will.

I'm feeling a little paranoid now so I checked it on my WD Black drive in my Desktop and I'm just wondering why the current value for "Reallocated Sectors Count" is 200?

http://puu.sh/jzvid/7217eded33.png

Sorry for my ignorance in advance if I'm wrong...

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Yeah I definitely will.

I'm feeling a little paranoid now so I checked it on my WD Black drive in my Desktop and I'm just wondering why the current value for "Reallocated Sectors Count" is 200?

http://puu.sh/jzvid/7217eded33.png

Sorry for my ignorance in advance if I'm wrong...

That drive is 100% fine. Always look at raw values. The current, worst and threshold are kinda wierd. I have it the same way on my laptop and desktop.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler