5 x 1 portrait monitors

I have been looking at updating my current configuration for the last few months, currently am using a pb278q and a hp 23fi as a side monitor. However my brother has claimed that as his and now am only left with a single screen. I would love to have a second and third pb278q but cannot justify $350 for a second hand unit or over $500 for a new one. Therefore I wiuld upgrade to 4k, though there arent any ips options under $700.

So instead i have found a second hand distributor of ex government displays. And for only $500 I can get 5 x dell 2312hm or hp zr24w. Both are ips so viewing angles should be capable enough for an eyefinity set up. I really enjoy racing games with my g27 so I feel the ultra wide resolution would be beneficial.

Has anyone had experience with running a 5 monitor gaming rig. As far as i know you must connect all displays to a single card. So I would need an active display port splitter as well as a hdmi to dvi connector to make 5 connections. As I currently have crossfired 290xs.

You don't have to connect all monitors to the same card. Just use the ports you can use without adapters.

Whoa, man, it's a small world! I built a 5x1 rig for a customer of mine a few years back using the 2312hm. We hand-picked the model for it's ability to daisy-chain, pivot mount with vesa and the thin bezels. Back then there weren't as many options. Later on during the process we decided to strip the bezels all together and a carpenter friend of his was gonna build an entire housing and table for them. The only complaint I ever had was that the VESA mount was on the plastic part of the back so it had to be left on. It didn't matter to him since the housing had a back on it. I was happy with the picture quality and everything. Never heard back from him with pics of the finished table so I'm assuming it worked out fine.

EDIT: It wasn't daisy-chain on this one. It was the Club-3D MST hub that we used. Daisy-chaining takes two DP or mDP ports on each monitor. u2312HM only has one.

Edited by Naeaes

Umm, 4k, IPS, and AMD freesync, and less than 700 bucks

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-27mu67-b-27in-4k-uhd-a4-111161.htm

Just sayin' it exists....

And that's CAD, so it's even less in USD.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Whoa, man, it's a small world! I built a 5x1 rig for a customer of mine a few years back using the 2312hm. We hand-picked the model for it's ability to daisy-chain, pivot mount with vesa and the thin bezels. Back then there weren't as many options. Later on during the process we decided to strip the bezels all together and a carpenter friend of his was gonna build an entire housing and table for them. The only complaint I ever had was that the VESA mount was on the plastic part of the back so it had to be left on. It didn't matter to him since the housing had a back on it. I was happy with the picture quality and everything. Never heard back from him with pics of the finished table so I'm assuming it worked out fine.

EDIT: It wasn't daisy-chain on this one. It was the Club-3D MST hub that we used. Daisy-chaining takes two DP or mDP ports on each monitor. u2312HM only has one.

Thanks for the reply good to know they worked well. I think a 5x1 set up would be quite a different experience. And yes if only I could daisy chain them, would make life a little easier. I may look into a displayport hub but if I can connect multiple monitors to each graphics card and atill use it as a eyefinity set that would work as well.