Virus scanning with USB?

Joemoma

Hey everyone, i have been fixing and repairing my friends computer quite a bit and I've been considering turning it into a small local service.  

So my Main question is:  is there a way to install antivirus/anti malware programs on to a USB flash drive so that i can just plug it into the infected computer to do a preliminary scan to remove majority of problems before having to risk further infection

p.s. if this topic belong somewhere else please let me know =)

I think there are Portable Downloads of Spybot Search & Destroy and AntiMalware Bytes

Because he had a hard drive.

You might want to look into the possibility of using a bootable Linux distro on the USB drive which can detect and remove malware from a Windows environment.

How exactly would i do that?  make a bootable USB with Linux, then once booted just do a sudo command?

Hey everyone, i have been fixing and repairing my friends computer quite a bit and I've been considering turning it into a small local service.  

So my Main question is:  is there a way to install antivirus/anti malware programs on to a USB flash drive so that i can just plug it into the infected computer to do a preliminary scan to remove majority of problems before having to risk further infection

p.s. if this topic belong somewhere else please let me know =)

There's one that using Bitdefender signature.

How exactly would i do that?  make a bootable USB with Linux, then once booted just do a sudo command?

You should get a few different guides (such as this one) which should give you a good idea. Just search for "linux live antivirus" or similar.

Thx everyone for the replies!! time to test out some stuff =)

You can also get Clamwin Portable and put that on your USB stick.  Works under Windows without the need to install.  Just download the "installer" (which really just unpacks the files rather than really installing).

ClamWin picks up a lot of stuff that AVG, Avast, Avira and MSE tend to miss.  It's my go-to AV solution for working on other people's PCs.  

You can also get Clamwin Portable and put that on your USB stick.  Works under Windows without the need to install.  Just download the "installer" (which really just unpacks the files rather than really installing).

ClamWin picks up a lot of stuff that AVG, Avast, Avira and MSE tend to miss.  It's my go-to AV solution for working on other people's PCs.  

i ended up putting a full Linux OS on a 32GB flashdrive and downloaded Clamtk to do recursive scans,  works awesome. but thanks for the other options!!