Good enough soundcard?

orangecat

I really want to get away from my onboard audio and use something with better specs but i can't afford an ODAC + AMP from MayFlower Electronics yet and I thought I'd look into a inexpensive dedicated soundcard. I know soundcards don't really have any better sound in comparison to an external solution but my onboard audio has really unimpressive specs so i figured if anything it's just a spec upgrade for my onboard audio.

I'm basically looking for the best soundcard under 75$ because i feel like paying more isn't going to get me much of an improvement anyways.

I'd like to get the Xonar DX from ASUS but it's a little bit out of my price range for a soundcard. I may also go with the Xonar DGX because it's cheaper and it's specs are still considerably better than my onboard audio solution.

SNIP

What headphones/speakers are you using?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The thing with dedicated soundcards is that they are dying out, onboard audio has catched up, even on lower end motherboards. It's usually better to go with better headphones if you are not satisfied with the sound quality.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

If you're not experiencing disturbance then you probably wont notice a difference. Just saying.

Sometimes i can hear my mouse in my headphones but it doesn't happen all the time.

Theres so many good options to choose from. Does it have to be internal? Does it have to be a soundcard? Can it be an external usb amp/dac? If you dont need the features of a soundcard then an external amp/dac would be the way to go.

Anyways, here are a few recommendations:

Internal Soundcards:

Look used for X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, Recon3D, Sound Blaster Z

External soundcard or amp/dac

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD

Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057

SMSL SD793-II

Thats just a few out of the many. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Technically it is over your price range, but by $4 and I would recommend it.

http://schiit.com/products/fulla

It's from a company called Schiit (yes it's said just like you think it is). But sure awesome company with really solid products. 

It's a USB DAC/AMP combo with an adjustable pot, which is really awesome.