5820K gaming performance?

Hi,

Does anyone have any opinions on the 5820K in regards to gaming performance? I'm assuming the chip needs to be over clocked to really see a difference between it and other 4 core chips.

Regards.

Hi,

Does anyone have any opinions on the 5820K in regards to gaming performance? I'm assuming the chip needs to be over clocked to really see a difference between it and other 4 core chips.

Regards.

You won't see much of difference. Not enough to warrant the price tag anyway.

Hi,

Regards.

5960x or go home.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Gaming performance will technically be worse than a 4790K or 6700K in games. It has more cores, but they're slower and most games won't use more than 4 of them. However, there will be no actual difference in FPS. 

5960x or go home.

2699 V3 or gtfo

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

unless you're editing videos, you'll be kicking yourself in the head for spending the extra cash. Just go with an 1150 processor. 2011 is for the really high-end.

No, it will be worse. Gaming favors fewer, faster cores.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Depends on games. But for most games, yes, this is true.

Depends on games. But for most games, yes, this is true.

Havent seen a game yet that preforms better with more cores rather than clock speed.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

back in the day it was true

but ever since intel released the 5960x and every reviewer has been using that as a test rig it seems devs have started going out of their way to make sure games work will on more than 4 core systems: witcher 3 and gta v I'm looking at you. 

Havent seen a game yet that preforms better with more cores rather than clock speed.

at 1080p, depending on the setting,. gta v will perform better on a 5820k than a 4690k as the game can get CPU bottlenecked. 

GTA V, BF4.... Minor advantages with more cores running at the same clock speed as fewer cores. Of course, not worth the price tag but still better.

Wouldn't this cpu be pretty solid for streaming gameplay? Better than i7 4790k/i5 4690k?

Wouldn't this cpu be pretty solid for streaming gameplay? Better than i7 4790k/i5 4690k?

yes

I bought mine and overclocked it to 4.4 ghz, reason is that it was $20 more than the 4790k at micro center. The ram and mobo were more expensive but not really anymore than skylake would have been. Just depends on what price point. At $430 no way ill pass. At $299 why not. 

Hi,

Regards.

Honestly, pretty much from the 4690K to the 4790K you see a tiny difference and pretty much the same going up. Games are not using more than 4 cores right now, they may in the future but it's just speculation and while the market is mostly 4 cores or lower, i don't see developers attempting to use more. There wouldn't be enough people actually taking advantage

BTW, i am only refering Intel, AMD is simply another discusion entirely

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I bought mine and overclocked it to 4.4 ghz, reason is that it was $20 more than the 4790k at micro center. The ram and mobo were more expensive but not really anymore than skylake would have been. Just depends on what price point. At $430 no way ill pass. At $299 why not. 

Thats why I'm thinking of getting one. I can purchase on right now for $30 more than a Skylake i7- so I just thought, why not? Thing is, I'm only going to be gaming and occasionally editing video for class.

it's 390 on newegg so only 40 over the 6700k msrp; 100% worth it. 

oh, streaming is totally different, an i5 would lack, a 4 core i7 would be decent, a 6 core would be great

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

if you plan not make use more pcie lanes,i think you should go with 1150 socket(haswell) or 1151 socket

Thats why I'm thinking of getting one. I can purchase on right now for $30 more than a Skylake i7- so I just thought, why not? Thing is, I'm only going to be gaming and occasionally editing video for class.

If you have a micro center near you, def get it.

If you have a micro center near you, def get it.

I'm actually in Australia, but yeah ahha. A local store here has it $30 more expensive than the 6770k.

if you plan not make use more pcie lanes,i think you should go with 1150 socket(haswell) or 1151 socket

I'll end up populating at least 3: 2 for GPUs and 1 for a Wi-Fi card.

I'm actually in Australia, but yeah ahha. A local store here has it $30 more expensive than the 6770k.

Wait, how about the 4790k vs the 5820k ? (price)