MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G overheating!

Go to solution Solved by Ryzone,

No I don't think it's a GPU issue. Idle temps are 40-45. I'll try the fan curves and see if things work out. I think the fans are not operating for some reason. Will do a through check before sending it back. I live in India. RMA is an absolute pain. I'll check and see tonight and figure out the root cause and then take a call. I think the fans aren't spinning. Thanks a ton. Will update in the evening after my office gets over.

Alright sounds like a plan. Hope it all works out.

Hey guys, recently bought an MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G card and it seems to reach 98 degrees Celsius when playing GTA V maxed out with 4X MSAA. I used the MSI gaming app to put it in OC mode. Ambient temperature was 23 degree Celsius Do I have to click on the fan button as well to make it Cooler. Sorry if I'm not clear on it. I'll be posting screen shots later on in the day. Until then can someone explain me how to use the app properly and not have my card explode!

Edit- 1080p resolution

Have you made a custom fan curve in MSI afterburner?

No I haven't, should I? Is it necessary? Doesn't the app do it on its own?

That is really hot, what case are you using? where is your case sitting? Is there anything blocking any of the case vents?

I'm using an NZXT Phantom 530, no blockage of any kind. Removed all the drive cages except 1. It's clear.

If you want to copy my own fan curve I just got my 980 Ti's late last month but this seems to be working good for me with +100 on memory and core. uZxD4tT.png

To be honest that is pretty hot. I'm not sure if you're overclocking, but either way stock or not that is way too hot. I would send it back especially when your room is 23 Celsius.

To be honest that is pretty hot. I'm not sure if you're overclocking, but either way stock or not that is way too hot. I would send it back especially when your room is 23 Celsius.

No I don't think it's a GPU issue. Idle temps are 40-45. I'll try the fan curves and see if things work out. I think the fans are not operating for some reason. Will do a through check before sending it back. I live in India. RMA is an absolute pain. I'll check and see tonight and figure out the root cause and then take a call. I think the fans aren't spinning. Thanks a ton. Will update in the evening after my office gets over.

Thanks man. Will post back later on. Thanks

Sounds like the 0db Feature has a Problem and Fans dont start @ 60°.

Do you have to order Hardware outside of India?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Ok. Yes I'm assuming that the fans are not working for some reason. Will check it and get back to you guys.

No I can get parts here, but the RMA process is painful and takes way way too long. So I want to be sure I can fix it before I send it for RMA

Thanks for helping out!

my 980ti gets to around 83c and then it throttles back.

any air cooler on a 980ti isn't sufficient enough and it will run better when cooler.

so today I ordered an evga hybrid cooler for mine! hopefully bring the temp down and the turbo up!

mine already runs at 1450Mhz and turbos past 1500, can't wait to see what I can do with a better cooler.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

It was working all along. I had just seen the wrong numbers and panicked! I'm such an idiot. It runs at 71 degrees max under full load. Sorry for wasting your time! Sorry. Thanks a ton for all your help

Looks like I had seen the wrong numbers and panicked. The fans are working fine. Under full load it shows 71 degrees. I'm such an idiot! Thanks a ton for your help. Sorry for wasting your time

Looks like I had seen the wrong numbers and panicked. The fans are working fine. Under full load it shows 71 degrees. I'm such an idiot! Thanks a ton for your help. Sorry for wasting your time

Good to hear. Have Fun.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It was working all along. I had just seen the wrong numbers and panicked! I'm such an idiot. It runs at 71 degrees max under full load. Sorry for wasting your time! Sorry. Thanks a ton for all your help

Rofl you were reading the power numbers. It happens to the best of us.