Question About Alienware Prices

Ronin64

Hi,

Last fall I ordered an Alienware X51 and a 24inch Dell 1920x1200 ips monitor and was wondering if I got ripped off.

Here are the specs...

Intel i7 4790 (non K)

GTX 760 Ti (GTX 670 re-badge)

8GB ram

1TB 7200rpm hard drive

Windows 8.1

It was on sale and I payed $1250+tax CND with free shipping.

I really like the computer, my first gaming computer, but after starting to learn about computer hardware I noticed most PC gamers hate Alienware mostly because of them being over priced. So I just wanted to know if I made a poor choice for my first gaming PC.

Thanks in advance.

Why the hell is there an i7 with a 760ti???

Because PREBUILT!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Why the hell is there an i7 with a 760ti???

Ya.. like wtf

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

You could have gotten those parts cheaper if custom built. Though it's a decently powerful system. i7 4790 is quite powerful, GTX 760Ti is still quite capable in 1080P gaming. 8GB of RAM is plenty and storage is sufficient. I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy your system!

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

A similar build in USD would cost 900$ Tops, including OS and Monitor.

So only over pay ~70$ Probably wrong basing prices off memory doing a similar now.

Was right only ~70$ overpay (I probably overpriced GPU and they likely had OEM 8.1 which can be achieved for ~20$.

Still a bad build in general for gaming.

760 Ti + i7.

@Ronin64

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Thanks for the feed back guy.

About the i7 with a 760 ti. I picked the i7 because I really didn't want to ever upgrade the cpu in it myself so I picked something powerful, but I will be putting a GTX 970 in it soon. After I save a little more money. Would the i7 and a GTX 970 also be a bad combo?

Thanks for the feed back guy.

About the i7 with a 760 ti. I picked the i7 because I really didn't want to ever upgrade the cpu in it myself so I picked something powerful, but I will be putting a GTX 970 in it soon. After I save a little more money. Would the i7 and a GTX 970 also be a bad combo?

No, that's better. But still, there's no such thing as futureproof. Don't worry about it now, though.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I have a question about pairing powerful cpus with slower gpus. What is the negative about doing that? Will my computer run slower because of it? Or is it just that the cpu will never be fully utilized?

I have a question about pairing powerful cpus with slower gpus. What is the negative about doing that? Will my computer run slower because of it? Or is it just that the cpu will never be fully utilized?

Ask yourself what exactly do you need hyperthreading for? If you havnt any idea then you didn't need an I7. Its barely much better than an I5 for gaming, but flexes it muscles a bit more with high end SLI / Xfire setups by reducing CPH bottleneck, but again, its not really by much.

Linus is my fetish.

Honestly, yes. You got ripped off at that price.

Did you make a mistake?

Well, that's up to you. Up until recently you didn't really care about how much you spent. When you bought the PC, you were just getting into it, right? You didn't know any better and you didn't have to go through the headache of putting together and setting up your new toy. They did it for you and professionally.

On top of that, you're covered for atleast a year or two under warranty. You won't have to shell out full price of a part if it malfunctions in your PC.

So, no. I don't think you made a devastating mistake. You got decent parts that can run most games on high at 1080p, a nice warranty, and someone else built it for you.

With any rebuilt machine you're paying a premium for the labor and logo on the case.

I think you probably payed around $200 for the case :P IMO, the case does look good, but not that many people spend over $200 on a case.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub