Need help with upgrading to Windows 10

gilang01

so my computer FINALLY finishes its download, and it's ready to install.

the question is, what should I do BEFORE upgrading my windows 8.1 into windows 10?

uninstall the graphics driver? 

or something else entirely?

Thank you for the help

They make it pretty idiot proof. You shouldn't have to do anything except back up, as always. If you select to not keep apps, you'll have to re-install drivers and stuff.

the question is, what should I do BEFORE upgrading my windows 8.1 into windows 10?

Thank you for the help

If you're deadset on upgrading then I'd suggest updating your drivers and write down your windows key if needed (so you have it after upgrading, you won't need to enter it, but in case you reinstall windows at some point)

I'd say don't upgrade to 10, too much bloatware and privacy invasion from microsoft... (You can't remove the bloatware either)

I personally am very highly considering going back to windows 7, I might leave 10 installed on a spare drive or something for use every now and then when I feel like it, but for my every day OS I'd rather have my privacy, and also have a much better experience too.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you're deadset on upgrading then I'd suggest updating your drivers and write down your windows key if needed (so you have it after upgrading, you won't need to enter it, but in case you reinstall windows at some point)

I'd say don't upgrade to 10, too much bloatware and privacy invasion from microsoft... (You can't remove the bloatware either)

I personally am very highly considering going back to windows 7, I might leave 10 installed on a spare drive or something for use every now and then when I feel like it, but for my every day OS I'd rather have my privacy, and also have a much better experience too.

hmm, what kind of bloatware and privacy invasion are you talking about? 

I would suggest you stick to Win 8.1. Unless you want everything to break. I upgraded to Win 10 and had to roll back a few days later because stuff wasn't working.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

hmm, what kind of bloatware and privacy invasion are you talking about? 

Well, microsoft has their groove music, movies & tv, xbox, calendar, camera, photos, mail, maps, voice recorder, etc.. that you cannot remove.

And then for the privacy invasion...

Basically microsoft has access to any and all files on your pc at all times, they can access all your passwords and such, they basically can watch your every move and listen to every sound captured by your microphone, and yeah...

Also heard that if you change your pc hardware with windows 10, you will have to buy a whole new license, you can't just go and call up microsoft and have them re-activate it or whatever like with 7 and 8. (May not be true, I haven't tested it out, but numerous tech news sources have said stuff about this.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Thank you for the help

Dude, wrong forum to post this in ...

Current PC broken, saving up atm.
Reason for saving up ->

I've been running Windows 10 since before RTM and have had zero issues with it. I couldn't care less how much data Microsoft wants to collect about me. If that's what they need to improve their products then so be it; I'm not that interesting and have nothing to hide. Even on day one W10 was the best OS I've been on.

As far as bloatware goes, I spent five or six minutes uninstalling a couple games and installing Chrome and Dropbox. Didn't even need drivers. Smoothest OS install I've experienced.

HAF 912  •  i5-2500k  •  16GB DDR3  •  980Ti  •  2x 480GB Intel 730  •  3x Dell U2715H 

• Backup files. Seriously.
  • Use Magical Jelly Bean to get your product keys!
  • Uninstall the graphics driver at the very least.
  • Unplug external devices, especially those with data you do not want to lose.

That's all I suggest. If something goes wrong, you can at least reinstall your previous Windows by finding your product key, and you will still have all  your data.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |