x5460 heatsink question

costacis21

i have an x5460 on a ga-ep45-ud3 (same with the ud3r but with less fancy heatsinks) and with my current cooler i cant even put a load on the cpu without it overheating. so i need to buy a new cooler. i was thinking of buying the dark rock pro 3 which will allow me to oc while keeping low temps, but i also have in mind the 212 evo which will allow me to do some oc but no as much as the dr pro 3 would. Also the 212 evo is half the price of the dr pro 3 where i live, so have that in mind. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

Can you OC with that Xeon? If not, definitely just get 212. Its pretty good with price/noise/performance ratio. But for more OC toward use, I'd get bigger cooler.

You need also make sure that cooler will support your socket. According to Intels site, you need bracket for LGA775 (771).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can you OC with that Xeon? If not, definitely just get 212. Its pretty good with price/noise/performance ratio. But for more OC toward use, I'd get bigger cooler.

You need also make sure that cooler will support your socket. According to Intels site, you need bracket for LGA775 (771).

thanks for your reply! yes, you can oc the xeon with the mod i've done. i think i will go with the dark rock pro 3. thanks for your opinion @LoGiCalDrm

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

thanks for your reply! yes, you can oc the xeon with the mod i've done. i think i will go with the dark rock pro 3. thanks for your opinion @LoGiCalDrm

that cooler is suppose to be hard to fit, but once you get it on it cools well. also the x5460 is a great chip. i have one and its a beast. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

that cooler is suppose to be hard to fit, but once you get it on it cools well. also the x5460 is a great chip. i have one and its a beast. 

yes, i've heard that it's hard to fit. but performance is what really matters. yes this chip is great! for around 30 euro it's one of the best cpus one can buy!