Building PC for Dota 2 and Minecraft, will specs work?

So, I'm building a PC for my friend to play dota 2 and minecraft. I've built my PC before but it was intel based with NVidia. He is on a $500 budget and I'm giving my old GTX 650. But, because it is a budget PC I am going to base his PC off AMD. I don't really know about AMD chipsets for the motherboards and the power of their CPUs.

• Windows 10 - $139.99 SALE

• CPU, AMD: FX 4130 Black Edition 3.8GHz Quad-Core - $39.99 SALE

• Mother Board, MSI 970 Gaming - $99.99 SALE

• Graphics, NVidia GTX 650 1gb - GIVEN

• RAM, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz - $49.99 SALE

• Storage, WD Desktop Blue 1TB HDD - $39.99

• Cooling, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler - $34.99 SALE

• Case, Corsair Carbide Seriers 200R Mid Tower ATX - $59.99 SALE, 49.99 REBATE

• Power, EVGA 430W - $41.99 SALE, $26.99 REBATE

• Misc, SATA 6GB/s Cable - $2.99

Sub-Total: $493.92

Tax: $39.51

Total: $533.43

These are the specs, will they work?

Your's Truly

Get the Pentium g3258 and a very cheap LGA1150 motherboard

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Apex Vortex 3620 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Directron) 

Total: $525.42

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-05 23:31 EDT-0400

This one will be better, Minecraft likes Intel CPU's much more. If you need money for the OS, you can drop the GPU down to a 260 or a 270

buy windows 8 from G2A and get the free windows 10 upgrade

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

id try and look for a cheaper windows keys reddit maybe ??

since the windows 10 upgrade is free and the key changes after the upgrade

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Apex Vortex 3620 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Directron) 
Total: $525.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-05 23:31 EDT-0400
This one will be better, Minecraft likes Intel CPU's much more. If you need money for the OS, you can drop the GPU down to a 260 or a 270

He wants to go to a physical store to buy the parts and I'm giving him my old GTX 650 to compinsate for the OS. These dont have money to spare. I will take this into consideration.

Your's Truly

Get the Pentium g3258 and a very cheap LGA1150 motherboard

Wouldn't minecraft eat that alive?

-snip-

Ah I see like users said above, LGA 1150 and pentium is the way to go, you'll get much better performance

but in the general question, Yes it will work, there is a better build solution for intel 

C2Q Q6600 - $20

G31 LGA775 Motherboard - $30

8GB DDR2 - $20

1TB HDD - $50

GTX 650 - $50

Cheap case - $30

430W 80+ PSU - around $45

This is the sort of platform I always suggest when coming up with budget gaming PCs. Core 2 Quad is a great CPU for your average Minecraft/dota box. I'm actually using one for an upcoming build.

Windows 10 beta is free if you don't mind bugs.

Wouldn't minecraft eat that alive?

Not really. Just dont have shaders and having a video card can improve performance as well.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Can you guys just me

C2Q Q6600 - $20

G31 LGA775 Motherboard - $30

8GB DDR2 - $20

1TB HDD - $50

GTX 650 - $50

Cheap case - $30

430W 80+ PSU - around $45

This is the sort of platform I always suggest when coming up with budget gaming PCs. Core 2 Quad is a great CPU for your average Minecraft/dota box. I'm actually using one for an upcoming build.

Windows 10 beta is free if you don't mind bugs.

Isn't the 4130 just a little bit lower performance wise than the i5 3570 like i have, the GTX 650 is free. I played BF4 at high settings with 60-70fps with those specs.

Your's Truly

He is not hard to please at all, he played dota 2 and minecraft on his $140 laptop with a single core 1Ghz proc. and 2gb of ram.

Your's Truly

Isn't the 4130 just a little bit lower performance wise than the i5 3570 like i have, the GTX 650 is free. I played BF4 at high settings with 60-70fps with those specs.

just a little bit. $100 though. You'll never use that much power for Minecraft and Dota though. It's nice if he wants to run more games, I suppose. Q6600 or G3258 will run it just fine, though.

It'll definitely run those two games. Won't run a hell of a lot else though.

He really wants to play Elite Dangerous with me, he doesn't cares how the game looks. He has never even seen 60fps gameplay before. Elite will be the most demanding game he will run.

Your's Truly

just a little bit. $100 though. You'll never use that much power for Minecraft and Dota though. It's nice if he wants to run more games, I suppose. Q6600 or G3258 will run it just fine, though.

I want to get him a quad core for elite dangerous. And my local microcenter has a sale right now where the 4130 is only $40.

Your's Truly

He really wants to play Elite Dangerous with me, he doesn't cares how the game looks. He has never even seen 60fps gameplay before. Elite will be the most demanding game he will run.

Minimum specs for that is a 7770, but they're usually exaggerated. Turn the resolution, filters and textures down and the 650 should be able to do it.

I want to get him a quad core for elite dangerous. And my local microcenter has a sale right now where the 4130 is only $40.

Whichever works best for you. i3 is perfectly fine for gaming when you need a couple extra threads.

Minimum specs for that is a 7770, but they're usually exaggerated. Turn the resolution, filters and textures down and the 650 should be able to do it.

His monitor is only 1280x720 so the GTX 650 should work fine.

Your's Truly

His monitor is only 1280x720 so the GTX 650 should work fine.

ooh, hell yeah.

Whichever works best for you. i3 is perfectly fine for gaming when you need a couple extra threads.

I would love to get him an intel but he wants to go to an physical store and have me build it the same day and the store doesn't have a good sale on an intel i3 right now.

Your's Truly

ooh, hell yeah.

He is super happy just to even get a PC that can have more than 1 tab open in chrome.

Your's Truly

I would love to get him an intel but he wants to go to an physical store and have me build it the same day and the store doesn't have a good sale on an intel i3 right now.

Whoops, sorry, thought you were talking about the i3 (because there's an i3-4130). Never mind. I mean, the FX4130 will be fine, but your friend's gonna be coming to your house with a pitchfork when he finds out that his upgrade path is virtually nonexistent.

Whoops, sorry, thought you were talking about the i3 (because there's an i3-4130). Never mind. I mean, the FX4130 will be fine, but your friend's gonna be coming to your house with a pitchfork when he finds out that his upgrade path is virtually nonexistent.

I had to tell him what an OS is and teach him how to pump the tire up on his bike. So if he needs to upgrade because dota 2 some how wont run on that machine I will pitch in the new parts off my budget.

Your's Truly

I had to tell him what an OS is and teach him how to pump the tire up on his bike. So if he needs to upgrade because dota 2 some how wont run on that machine I will pitch in the new parts off my budget.

ah ok. So not likely to ever be techie enough to want an upgrade in the first place. Gotcha.

I'll stop rambling now :D