Unable to change monitor refresh rate to 144hz (ASUS VGG248QE)

Go to solution Solved by FLYTROX,

I found the solution. Apparently you need to flip a switch on the graphics card (next to crossfire lips) to enable dual link dvi.

GPU: ASUS 7970 Direct Cu II

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hi there,

My new monitor arrived today and it is a ASUS VGG248QE 144 hz gaming monitor. I bought the monitor for the high refresh rate. But after unpacking everything and setting everything up I am unable to change the monitors refresh rate to 144hz. The highest I can set it to is 60hz. I've tried plugging my dvi cable into another port. Tried to change it in the ati drivers and in windows itself. I googled the issue and there were a few people with the same problem but they never replied if they had a fix or whatever.

I was hoping one of you guys might be able to help me.

I doubt that it is my graphics card but I have a ASUS Direct CU II 7970.

is your dvi cable dual link or single link? you need dual for that...

edit: you can see it by the number of pins, dual has obviously more.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I have never used monitors with high refresh rates out of the box so I don't know how they come standard. Do you have to set up a custom resolution in CCC to set it to 1920x1080 @ 144 vertical refresh rate. Do you have a dual or a single link DVI-D cable, although I'm not 100% sure if dual is needed for high refresh rates.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

It came with a dual link dvi-d cable. No matter what I do in the driver I can't change the refresh rate in the driver to 144hz.

It came with a dual link dvi-d cable. No matter what I do in the driver I can't change the refresh rate in the driver to 144hz.

You could try it in the windows display settings.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Tried that aswell. Can't change it there either.

I found the solution. Apparently you need to flip a switch on the graphics card (next to crossfire lips) to enable dual link dvi.

GPU: ASUS 7970 Direct Cu II

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

• 7 months later...

I just go this monitor and was hoping if someone could explain perfectly how to change the refresh rate of my monitor. I just got an HDMI to DVI cable and I heard that would improve my refresh rate. Now when I go to the menu of the monitor and I go down to information it says 60HZ and that's with a HDMI cable. So do I need a DVI cable. By the way I'm using this monitor for xbox 360 and xbox one.

Hi there,

My new monitor arrived today and it is a ASUS VGG248QE 144 hz gaming monitor. I bought the monitor for the high refresh rate. But after unpacking everything and setting everything up I am unable to change the monitors refresh rate to 144hz. The highest I can set it to is 60hz. I've tried plugging my dvi cable into another port. Tried to change it in the ati drivers and in windows itself. I googled the issue and there were a few people with the same problem but they never replied if they had a fix or whatever.

I was hoping one of you guys might be able to help me.

I doubt that it is my graphics card but I have a ASUS Direct CU II 7970.

1: don't use hdmi, it only supports 60hz.

2: in the box there should be a dual dvi cable, use it.

3: connect your monitor using the dual dvi cable to 1 dvi port of your graphic card, then check if 144hz appear in the CCC. If it doesn't appear, connect your monitor to the other dvi port of your graphic card, then, the 144hz option in the CCC should appear.

Source: I have that monitor

I just go this monitor and was hoping if someone could explain perfectly how to change the refresh rate of my monitor. I just got an HDMI to DVI cable and I heard that would improve my refresh rate. Now when I go to the menu of the monitor and I go down to information it says 60HZ and that's with a HDMI cable. So do I need a DVI cable. By the way I'm using this monitor for xbox 360 and xbox one.

you can't use it @ 144hz with consoles.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same issue. I am 100% sure I do have dual link DVI cable. I have 2 HD7970 in crossfire, I used to have all 3 monitors on 144hz but then for no reason the monitor that doesn't have a powered mini display port adapter just the dual link dvi stopped displaying anything other than 60hz. I used to be able to select 60 85 100 120 or 144hz on all 3 now the monitor that is just on dual link dvi only has 60 hz as an option I have tried to swap my cards and only use one and disable crossfire as well. Another issue is I cannot arrange my monitors in the catalyst or in windows. When I go to  desktop management and creating and arranging desktops I put monitor 4 above monitor 1 and click apply it will work for a few seconds then revert back it never asks me to keep changes and I have tried to hit enter because I know sometimes that screen will be hidden and it still doesn't work and i know it worked in the past. And as far as the switch that was refereed to as a switch to allow dual link dvi on GPU it is a switch to switch between bios the cards that have that are actually dual bios cards.

you can't use it @ 144hz with consoles.

consoles do not display over 60hz and some will even only display 30 or 23 or something like that in 1080p they will only display 60 in 720p. and HDMI cables do not support more than 60hz. You have to have dual link DVI. and if you are going to use multi monitors you will need to get powered "active" mini display port to dual link dvi. standard mini display port to dvi will not support more than 60hz so they have to be powered "active" adapters which is just a standard mini displayport or displayport to dvi that has a USB plug as well to supply power. the ones I got are http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158262 they run about $94.99 each I had to get 2 of them to run my 3 asus 144hz 1ms response 23" led monitors and I use a HDMI for my 4th monitor which is just a 23" Samsung SMT23A350 TV which is really cool because I use that monitor just to run rainmeter on since i OC so i can monitor temps and PC usage but that monitor has a Picture in Picture feature so i can have my PC on the screen and Cable TV in the corner.