How many WU does one usually completes in a day?

Go to solution Solved by o0Martin,

I didn't expect such an elaborate answer, thanks for taking the time. I read that guide before even deciding to download the software, it only helped me a little, other than the fact that the screenshots are in a different language I don't think it explains to detail what is better to look for, what projects, what settings, how many projects can you have open at a time, if I choose more than one project will my CPU split its capacity amongst the projects I joined? 

Do you think I can dedicate one GPU to F@H and the other one to BOINC? or should I just put my CPU to work in BOINC by itself? Is it as easy as F@H once I get the right project? I mean, will I get that much points running BOINC with my 2 970s and my i7 ? 

Well for me, what I did was look up the projects on this site: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php edit: the site may/may not be down right now

Then I decided which one(s) I wanted to help, then I made sure the hardware I have was supported (In the right column) then just ran that, and through that some worked perfectly, others not as well, I guess it's just hit and miss depending on your hardware and the project. 

As far as how many you can have open, you can have as many as you want, then you can suspend/activate different projects as you please from the client. Or you can dedicate a different % of resource to each project through the project preferences page on the projects website.

G7bgblg.png

Click the preferences, then click edit after you scroll down:

5wbrHX0.png

Then change the resource share number at the top :)

If you leave it at 100 then they will all automatically split the % throughout all the projects, so that is normally best for most people.

ALSO! through that preferences that is where you do all the things like changing which work units you receive, and if the project can use your GPU/CPU, along with some other things.

I don't see why you couldn't dedicate 1 GPU to F@H and one to BOINC, it should work I guess, I've never tried though because I've only ever folded with 1 GPU. 

Once you get everything up and running then yeah it's just as easy to use as F@H. As for how many points you get, I guess it does depend on the project a little bit, but in general they should all give roughly the same amount of points for the time/processing power you put into it. Personally I run PrimeGrid when I use my GPU for BOINC, it runs great for me and I haven't ever had any issues with it like I did with a couple others. 

Hey guys! Yesterday was my first day Folding@Home, I left my computer at full setting the whole day and night, it completed 11 WU yesterday and I was wondering how many is a regular number of units to complete in a day. I added a little poll just for the people that doesn't like to answer to this kind of questions. 

Thanks!

I think PPD is a better way to measure performance, because the amount of WUs you complete can change depending on the type of WUs you receive or even just if you're folding with your CPU on the application or on the web client (You get more from the web client, or at least I did, because it gives you smaller WUs) 

Personally though I hardly get any WUs a day aha, cos I only fold with my GPU, so I get around 4-6 a day I think :)

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

It depends on the hardware and the work unit you're assigned

When I folded with my R9 270 I would get work units that either took 21, 14 or 8 hours, so there's no definite way to say how many work units a given person will complete in a day

Also consider that the number of points you get from a work unit depends on the length of time between you downloading the WU and it being uploaded to the servers, this is known as QRB (or Quick Return Bonus).

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

24/7 around 60 on my laptop. 

ps i use the chrome app.

I think PPD is a better way to measure performance, because the amount of WUs you complete can change depending on the type of WUs you receive or even just if you're folding with your CPU on the application or on the web client (You get more from the web client, or at least I did, because it gives you smaller WUs) 

Personally though I hardly get any WUs a day aha, cos I only fold with my GPU, so I get around 4-6 a day I think :)

How do you know if a WU is big or small? Because my cpu is getting a lot of 2000 point tasks, and my gpu got 100K points and the second gpu got 90k in one task.

It depends on the hardware and the work unit you're assigned

When I folded with my R9 270 I would get work units that either took 21, 14 or 8 hours, so there's no definite way to say how many work units a given person will complete in a day

Also consider that the number of points you get from a work unit depends on the length of time between you downloading the WU and it being uploaded to the servers, this is known as QRB (or Quick Return Bonus).

I read something about using a pass key for higher return bonuses is that right? I'm folding using my i7-4790k and 2 970s in SLI

24/7 around 60 on my laptop. 

ps i use the chrome app.

60? Damn that's a lot, I tried using the chrome app but it didn't work for me so I'm folding with the program.

I think PPD is a better way to measure performane

About PPD, what is the normal average PPD I should be getting with my hardware? When I left my home this morning the client said I was going to get about 600k and yesterday it was averaging half of that.

How do you know if a WU is big or small? Because my cpu is getting a lot of 2000 point tasks, and my gpu got 100K points and the second gpu got 90k in one task.

I read something about using a pass key for higher return bonuses is that right? I'm folding using my i7-4790k and 2 970s in SLI

60? Damn that's a lot, I tried using the chrome app but it didn't work for me so I'm folding with the program.

yeah on my laptop.

About PPD, what is the normal average PPD I should be getting with my hardware? When I left my home this morning the client said I was going to get about 600k and yesterday it was averaging half of that.

Well with 2 970's I assume you should be getting around the same as a 980Ti, then add your CPU and a quoted 600k PPD is sounding perfect. If it stays around 500-600k PPD then it's probably fine, it will of course fluctuate a bit. Like with my system I get anywhere from 450k-550k normally (I don't fold with my CPU, that's always running BOINC) and that can go down when a task is just starting up, or go up when a task is fully running. 

And if you haven't already 100% get the passkey for the quick return bonus

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

What laptop are you using?

acer aspire v.

acer aspire v.

The WUs on the chrome app are a LOT more than the software. This is because they are smaller work units and can get done faster :)

I currently have 2300 total and almost 95% of those are via the chrome app over the past month.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Well with 2 970's I assume you should be getting around the same as a 980Ti, then add your CPU and a quoted 600k PPD is sounding perfect. If it stays around 500-600k PPD then it's probably fine, it will of course fluctuate a bit. Like with my system I get anywhere from 450k-550k normally (I don't fold with my CPU, that's always running BOINC) and that can go down when a task is just starting up, or go up when a task is fully running. 

And if you haven't already 100% get the passkey for the quick return bonus

Then it sounds it's about right, after reading your answer I tried setting up my CPU to run BOINC but it is a mile more difficult to use than F@H, It was moving really slowly, so I cancelled it. Any good guides I could follow, or simple tips ?

Then it sounds its about right, after reading your answer I tried setting up my CPU to run BOINC but it is a mile more difficult to use than F@H, It was moving really slowly, so I cancelled it. Any good guides I could follow, or simple tips ?

Yeah BOINC is a bit more complicated at first, especially because all the different projects will add their own complications. But after you get everything up and running, and try out a couple projects, it becomes really easy and straight forward. The only guide I ever used was the one on this site: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/151235-official-ltt-boinc-faq-guide/

It served me well, and got me up and running pretty quick, then you tend to find little tips/tricks to make things easier for yourself as you use the program.

Just like with F@H you will tend to get less points/credit from using your CPU than you would do if you use your GPUs, so maybe that is why it was slow?

Also some projects will do a bad job of updating the 'Progress' tab, like it will only update the % now and then, but most will do it right away in real time, and depending on the project you are doing, and the hardware you use, they will send you different types of tasks to complete, which will vary in lengths. 

For example I remember one project which classified each task by size, as in micro/mini/nano/medium/large (I think they were the categories) and within the projects 'Preferences' on their website (Which is linked to your client) you could edit them and select which one you wanted to receive and which ones you didn't want to, that could help you get tasks that are smaller than others but of course they will also gain you less credits per task. 

And lastly not all tasks will give you credit right away! If you view your tasks on the projects webpage it will give you completed ones, failed ones, ones you're still working on, and then pending ones as well, so you could have pending ones that are waiting validation as well. 

They are all reasons why you could think it's moving slow I guess, but in general I like BOINC, it's like a more open (But slightly more complex) F@H, in the sense that you have a lot more options as to what you want to do and what you want to help with, and how. 

Yeah BOINC is a bit more complicated at first, especially because all the different projects will add their own complications. 

I didn't expect such an elaborate answer, thanks for taking the time. I read that guide before even deciding to download the software, it only helped me a little, other than the fact that the screenshots are in a different language I don't think it explains to detail what is better to look for, what projects, what settings, how many projects can you have open at a time, if I choose more than one project will my CPU split its capacity amongst the projects I joined? 

Do you think I can dedicate one GPU to F@H and the other one to BOINC? or should I just put my CPU to work in BOINC by itself? Is it as easy as F@H once I get the right project? I mean, will I get that much points running BOINC with my 2 970s and my i7 ? 

Well for me, what I did was look up the projects on this site: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php edit: the site may/may not be down right now

Then I decided which one(s) I wanted to help, then I made sure the hardware I have was supported (In the right column) then just ran that, and through that some worked perfectly, others not as well, I guess it's just hit and miss depending on your hardware and the project. 

As far as how many you can have open, you can have as many as you want, then you can suspend/activate different projects as you please from the client. Or you can dedicate a different % of resource to each project through the project preferences page on the projects website.

G7bgblg.png

Click the preferences, then click edit after you scroll down:

5wbrHX0.png

Then change the resource share number at the top :)

If you leave it at 100 then they will all automatically split the % throughout all the projects, so that is normally best for most people.

ALSO! through that preferences that is where you do all the things like changing which work units you receive, and if the project can use your GPU/CPU, along with some other things.

I don't see why you couldn't dedicate 1 GPU to F@H and one to BOINC, it should work I guess, I've never tried though because I've only ever folded with 1 GPU. 

Once you get everything up and running then yeah it's just as easy to use as F@H. As for how many points you get, I guess it does depend on the project a little bit, but in general they should all give roughly the same amount of points for the time/processing power you put into it. Personally I run PrimeGrid when I use my GPU for BOINC, it runs great for me and I haven't ever had any issues with it like I did with a couple others. 

-snip-

Where is customer service and satisfaction survey ? lol, even though this thread was not originally intended for questions I will mark your answer as solved because you've been the most help to me around here. I joined 2 projects last night, PrimeGrid and Einstein@Home or something along those lines. I will check my settings again, try to dedicate one GPU to BOINC and the other one to F@H. Again, thanks for the help mate! 

Where is customer service and satisfaction survey ? lol, even though this thread was not originally intended for questions I will mark your answer as solved because you've been the most help to me around here. I joined 2 projects last night, PrimeGrid and Einstein@Home or something along those lines. I will check my settings again, try to dedicate one GPU to BOINC and the other one to F@H. Again, thanks for the help mate! 

No worries aha, and good luck with the 2 projects, ik PrimeGrid runs great for me, hopefully it does with u too, these are the  subprojects I run on PrimeGrid

rksUsWb.png

My GPU loves those CUDA tasks, grinds through 1 every 5 mins, it didn't take to the OpenCL ones as well though so I disabled them!

Edit: wow I totally forgot this thread started as a poll about the amount of WUs you get a day in F@H loool

No worries aha, and good luck with the 2 projects, ik PrimeGrid runs great for me, hopefully it does with u too, these are the  subprojects I run on PrimeGrid

rksUsWb.png

My GPU loves those CUDA tasks, grinds through 1 every 5 mins, it didn't take to the OpenCL ones as well though so I disabled them!

Edit: wow I totally forgot this thread started as a poll about the amount of WUs you get a day in F@H loool

Yeah I know ! That's why I said "even though this thread was not intended for this" xD 

I'm trying to upload a screenshot of my settings my internet sucks right now, I just read in a forum that I should not use OpenCL with Nvidia cards so I only got that same CUDA one. and all the 30minute-ish CPU tasks I found. 

Are these settings alright for Einstein@Home? 

XhkyIkC.png?1

Yeah I know ! That's why I said "even though this thread was not intended for this" xD 

I'm trying to upload a screenshot of my settings my internet sucks right now, I just read in a forum that I should not use OpenCL with Nvidia cards so I only got that same CUDA one. and all the 30minute-ish CPU tasks I found. 

Are these settings alright for Einstein@Home? 

XhkyIkC.png?1

Yeah my PrimeGrid CPU tasks normally take around 30mins too which is good, even though it gets me no where near as many credits as my GPU I guess every little helps aha, and my CPU still runs silently/cool anyway so may as well have it running at all times.

I'm not sure about the Einstein@Home settings (Because I've never ran that project), in general you don't actually need to change these setting unless you have issues, or want to get different tasks through or limit the tasks. Seems good to me though, as long as you didn't change those 'Dangerous' ones  :blink: Never seen that before aha 

As for PrimeGrid seems fine to me :) I guess run it for a couple days, see how everything goes, check to see if your tasks are all passing (or pending) and as long as they aren't failing then it's all good. And if they are then just stop running the tasks that are failing a lot. 

Also not sure if this helps you at all, but if you go to the team ranking for each project you can sometimes see which subprojects everyone else is using, that could help you decide which you want to try running. Like for PrimeGrid everyone seems to run PSP SW and PPS SW https://www.primegrid.com/team_members.php?teamid=4239&offset=0&sort_by=expavg_credit (Not sure if that link actually works for you lool)

Yeah my PrimeGrid CPU tasks normally take around 30mins too which is good, even though it gets me no where near as many credits as my GPU I guess every little helps aha, and my CPU still runs silently/cool anyway so may as well have it running at all times.

I'm not sure about the Einstein@Home settings (Because I've never ran that project), in general you don't actually need to change these setting unless you have issues, or want to get different tasks through or limit the tasks. Seems good to me though, as long as you didn't change those 'Dangerous' ones  :blink: Never seen that before aha 

As for PrimeGrid seems fine to me :) I guess run it for a couple days, see how everything goes, check to see if your tasks are all passing (or pending) and as long as they aren't failing then it's all good. And if they are then just stop running the tasks that are failing a lot. 

Also not sure if this helps you at all, but if you go to the team ranking for each project you can sometimes see which subprojects everyone else is using, that could help you decide which you want to try running. Like for PrimeGrid everyone seems to run PSP SW and PPS SW https://www.primegrid.com/team_members.php?teamid=4239&offset=0&sort_by=expavg_credit (Not sure if that link actually works for you lool)

I just went into BOINC advanced view and checked under tasks to realize PrimeGrid is not even running, I don't know if I have to click a Start button somewhere since I just changed the settings to allow for GPU work.

Go6ac27.png?1

MonS62u.png?1

vr401CZ.png?1

-snip-

That's because the other projects tasks are running lol, it'll cycle through them, if you go to the tasks list it will normally do it in what ever order it shows there. I normally have it set so that the 'Deadline' tab is running from 1st to last, that way everything gets done on time.

Hey guys! Yesterday was my first day Folding@Home, I left my computer at full setting the whole day and night, it completed 11 WU yesterday and I was wondering how many is a regular number of units to complete in a day. I added a little poll just for the people that doesn't like to answer to this kind of questions. 

Thanks!

You can check out this for yourself WAY more accurately then relying on others to answer by looking at our team here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=223518

From there you are able to look up each user, for example I am http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=678325

If you scroll to the bottom, you will see my WU returns broken down to per hr, per day, per week etc

Hope this helps

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.