GeForce gtx 750Ti or GeForce gtx 960?

WillMcp

I'm building a PC for some light gaming but nothing too intensive and I've read good reviews for both of these cards. They're both 2gb but the 750Ti is about $60 cheaper and from what I've read it performs pretty well. Any thoughts on which to buy?

P.S. I've got about $170-$190 set aside to buy a GPU so anything in that range

I'm building a PC for some light gaming but nothing too intensive and I've read good reviews for both of these cards. They're both 2gb but the 750Ti is about $60 cheaper and from what I've read it performs pretty well. Any thoughts on which to buy?

960 or a 380 if you can afford it as it performs better. a 750 ti is low on the gpu hierarchy

BigDay

gtx 960 would perform better.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

960 or 380 or 280X. I still would save up and get a 970 even just for a LAN- or whatever-rig

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

It depends on what games you want to play. Stuff like csgo or league, shoot for 750 ti. Stuff that requires better graphics, shoot for something better. There is no need to waste your money on a 970 if you're not going to be playing games that require that much graphics power.

The first thing you need to consider when buying a Graphics Card is "What resolution is my Monitor and What types of tasks or Games will I do with my PC?" If you are running a 720p or a 1600x900 Monitor (Like I have) Then a GTX 750 Ti would be more than sufficient to most games. However, if you have a 1080P Monitor then the 960 would be a far better choice.

The 960 has about 50% higher raw performance, I would highly recommend getting a card with atleast 3gb of Vram for 1080p and above, Right now 2gb is barely enough, It wont take long until games use more.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I have the 750ti strix, I think it's awesome.

I play bf4 on high with around 40-60fps.

But i would wait for the 950 instead of buying the 750ti now.

If you think you may plug it into a 4k tv then go for the 960 cause of the hdmi 2.0 so you can get more than 30hz, if the tv has 2.0.

I recommend not touching the 960.  It really is a gutted version of the 970 and there is a massive performance gap between the 2.  I recommend a 280x or a 280 as you can now find those invading the old price territory of the 750ti.  They perform much better and cost about the same

960 vs 280x:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_960_Gaming/29.html

as you see the 280x is much better than the 960 and you can find 280x's for prices like this

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9280xtdfd

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

as the owner of a MSI Twinfrozr 750Ti i can honestly tell you to not get this card. it's low power and at this stage really starting to show its age!

that's why I go around recommending an AMD solution because this is the greatest year for PC builders.  Prices are plummeting due to all the new releases and you can get some strong hardware for cheap and the 750ti no longer a viable budget card unless your just have a very low wattage power supply that cant support something stronger

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

I wouldn't touch anything from AMD unless you have a robust power supply and a case with tremendous air flow.  Otherwise you'll burn your house down.

If you know you'll only be doing "light" gaming, meaning 1080p with low to medium settings at 40-60fps then the 750ti should do it for you.

If you want to turn everything up, solid 60fps at 1080p then go for the 960.

Don't let ignorant idiots fool you into thinking that the 128-bit is a bad thing.  If so then why does it perform better than other cards with a far wider bus?

Go to a store that lets you return video cards without a hit, like Fry's Electronics.  Try out the 750ti.  If it works for you, keep it.  If not, return it and get the 960.

Also keep a look out for free games.  Last I remember Nvidia was giving a copy of the Witcher 3 with the purchase of a 750ti.  The same with the 960 but I think they included and extra title with it.

I wouldn't touch anything from AMD unless you have a robust power supply and a case with tremendous air flow.  Otherwise you'll burn your house down.

If you know you'll only be doing "light" gaming, meaning 1080p with low to medium settings at 40-60fps then the 750ti should do it for you.

If you want to turn everything up, solid 60fps at 1080p then go for the 960.

Don't let ignorant idiots fool you into thinking that the 128-bit is a bad thing.  If so then why does it perform better than other cards with a far wider bus?

Go to a store that lets you return video cards without a hit, like Fry's Electronics.  Try out the 750ti.  If it works for you, keep it.  If not, return it and get the 960.

Also keep a look out for free games.  Last I remember Nvidia was giving a copy of the Witcher 3 with the purchase of a 750ti.  The same with the 960 but I think they included and extra title with it.

that is a completely biased opinion.  I had a miserable power supply, with no efficiency rating and a case that had 2 fans, and ran my 270x at 56C overclocked. Its honestly unfair to the OP for you to mislead him based on opinion.  Yes reference model AMD cards run hot, thats why everyone buys aftermarket coolers and the cards are fantastic.  You speak of ignorant idiots yet go on a opinion based rant

EDIT: also AMD offers free games as well, most recently dirt rally

•  

EDIT: also AMD offers free games as well, most recently dirt rally

They do.  However, the games they offer for free are the ones you see on sale at Steam for like $1.73

Nvidia was giving, Witcher 3, Batman, FarCry4... games that are normally $40-$50 and are 20%off at best during Steam sales.

They do.  However, the games they offer for free are the ones you see on sale at Steam for like $1.73

Nvidia was giving, Witcher 3, Batman, FarCry4... games that are normally $40-$50 and are 20%off at best during Steam sales.

Dirt rally: $36 https://www.g2a.com/dirt-rally-early-access-steam-cd-key-global.html

The Witcher 3: $28 https://www.g2a.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cd-key-gog-global.html  (yes its a GOG key because you dont get a steam key for this with nvidia cards it is for GOG)

Batman: $19 https://www.g2a.com/batman-arkham-knight-steam-cd-key-global.html

i dont see this as true sir

•