Linus Tech Tips Forums Posting Etiquette?

Kyocobra

I'm a newcomer to this wonderful website, and I frequently use it to post my questions in order to receive quick, reasonable answers.

To make things easier for the viewer, what are some general rules I should follow when posting questions? Or, what are some things that posters do that irritate you so I should take caution and make sure not to repeat such things? If people are going to be giving me quality advice for free, I would prefer my posts be as least burdensome for them as possible.

This may include the format of the post, such as me spacing out "paragraphs" with double-space, how much information to offer up front, or whatever else. Maybe even which BBCode items to use.

So, does anyone have some tips for how to post questions effectively? (I suppose you could just rant about your pet peeves)

Semi-cool guy

Provide as much information as possible and make sure you read the pinned posts for the respective sections. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I'm a newcomer to this wonderful website, and I frequently use it to post my questions in order to receive quick, reasonable answers.

To make things easier for the viewer, what are some general rules I should follow when posting questions? Or, what are some things that posters do that irritate you so I should take caution and make sure not to repeat such things? If people are going to be giving me quality advice for free, I would prefer my posts be as least burdensome for them as possible.

This may include the format of the post, such as me spacing out "paragraphs" with double-space, how much information to offer up front, or whatever else. Maybe even which BBCode items to use.

So, does anyone have some tips for how to post questions effectively? (I suppose you could just rant about your pet peeves)

No manners here - Flairs up, argue without constraint

Use your noggin for more than five seconds, unlike the magic 8 ball you'll get usable information.

Just be cool, follow the good rules (no flaming, fanboy wars etc) and importantly

don't recommend Bad PSU's to people ;)

or imma whack you with the old trusty 8800gtx

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

@Minibois made an "unofficial guide to LTT", which I think has some really useful information in it :)http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

bruh my AC is broken my room is 35c

It's like 35 or 36 in here because I have the sun blaring in to my window and the AC doesn't want to kick on, so I know the feeling.

Unless you NEED to. Try and make your posts short and to the point. If you make long posts most people won't read them tbh. Also, when wanting a question answered try and give as much information as you can about your situation. Have fun on the forum :D

Also only give advice if you know what you're talking about :P

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I work for the air force and fix computers and equiptment on the jets. When an operator says "Hey ASE, my computer doesn't work" this is how it goes...

Your computer doesn't work?

Yes I can't type

You can't type?

Yes I'm trying to type and it won't work

You're trying to type and it wont work?

Yes it won't work when trying to do a ---------

the --------- isn't working?

Yes it just doesn't come up

It doesn't come up?

Yup it works on his computer

It works on his computer?

Yes

hold on.

*Removes sunflower shell from key on keyboard.

What they should have said:
Hey ASE, This is operator #. I can't do -------- on my position, while op# can, it worked earlier.