HEX GEAR R40 ROG Edition

p0Pe

cables are perfect. will blend in with the gene really well.

Thank you! I hope you like the rest of them also!

sexy as hell..... :)

Thanks man!

Full res warning!

ioc8XXt.jpg

9wRcTmf.jpg

Now off to finish the rest of the cables -_-

• 3 weeks later...
Final building pics before the final final pics:D

nNAOwA5.jpg

The new cover for the top with the STRIX logo engraved into it.

QifOrkA.jpg

Mounting the motherboard and cpu - prepping for the air cooler:D

GtS0EuJ.jpg

Gpu´s with the light shining trough the front panel, revealing the ROG logo.

K2rgDCx.jpg

Both GPU´s installed! So. Friggin. Heavy...

tVoUW1v.jpg

I went with a BeQuiet cooler for this build, simply because I really liked the looks of it when you take off the top fan. The 6600K is easily kept cold by this.

LFK6icO.jpg

The stock sticker on the side of the PSU did not match the rest of the build, so I peeled it off, and had Nate over at E22 laser engrave the logo into the side panel.

4lxB4pZ.jpg

Lasers are pretty!

pmstySZ.jpg

And effecient!

DAwHMX5.jpg

Power supply mounted. The cpu cooler is a tad bigger than it looked on the pictures, but looks nice none the less!

VFvT57S.jpg

Time to do some cabling. Starting out with the GPU cables.

vLEETyW.jpg

I designed this fancy acrylic peice that will hold the gpu´s up. The DCIII cooler weighs a lot, so the gpu´s bend a little. And I wanted to make sure that when transporting this build, they where rock solid.

cqlHwBz.jpg

This mounts to the bottom of the case, and is screwed in from the bottom, holding the gpu´s in place no matter how you turn the build.

aDfLOhO.jpg

There is two 120 mm fans in both the bottom and top compartment. The top fans had a grill made for them that hides the fan motor.

B1ZarKS.jpg

Closer look at the fan motor grill.

1jewsHu.jpg

Rear action!

KsNvH9O.jpg

My favorit shot. Cables uses the same dual gpu combs that I designed for the Nvidia rig I did earlier this year. Final pics soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

Do you have any better shots showing of the cables going into the PSU? All tips and tricks for getting it to look good is welcome ;)

my process:

• Cut cable to circa length + 5-10 cm
  • crimp one end - make sure that the terminals are the same way on every cable (the cables has a natural bend, so as long as the terminals are the same on every cable, you are making it easier for yourself)
  • cut sleeving to size, can be 1 cm longer or shorter than the cable, when you stretch it, it will be much longer anyways)
  • sleeve all cables on one end, and insert into connector
  • Insert connector into motherboard/GPU/cpu and route cables to the PSU
  • Tighten the sleeving, and cut to length. When you tighten the heatshrink, and cut it tto the same length of the cables, I have found that it fits perfectly when you put the terminal on, and sleeve with the shrinkless sleeve method.
Final picture time!

SPECS: 
ASUS Maximus viii Gene 
2 x ASUS 980 TI strix SLI 
Intel Core i5 6600K 
Corsair HX1000i 8 gb Corsair vengeance LPX ram (later upgraded to 16 gb) 
256 gb Corsair Neutron XT ssd 
BeQuiet dark rock TF cpu cooler 
Teleios sleeving and E22 cable combs 

PmLTt7f.jpg

The front of the case has been redone with the ROG logo. The acrylic piece behind the front have been modded to fit two LED strips that lights up the entire front panel when turned on.

ubqaLtz.jpg

Both right and left side panel has been laser engraved, to etch away the black paint, leaving bare aluminium.

BgBrS8h.jpg

The aluminium on the panels matches up nicely with the extruded profiles.

wK9uuSY.jpg

Rear panel is the only outer panel that has been left stock.

Gm4fbE5.jpg

2ubGFZR.jpg

More engraving shots

Yi6oS3K.jpg

Top panel has the strix logo, as the graphic cards used are 980 ti strix´s

UD5OJgr.jpg

L7rwbEe.jpg

rpODAk6.jpg

0HbTjb2.jpg

Rear view shots

v7wGNkO.jpg

I opted to go for the BeQuiet dark rock TF cpu cooler, and simply removed the top fan. Really like the looks of these "laid down" coolers compared to regular tower coolers!

UwA2osF.jpg

Since the graphic cards are quite heavy, I made a piece of acrylic that also works as a cable comb. This acrylic piece holds up the cards, so they do not damage the PCI ports on the motherboard during transportation.

Also, look at that laser engraved PSU :D Definitly won´t be the last time I do that.

Ejj2Zwd.jpg

Sleeving on the graphic cards. These cards are really huge. I am glad I do not have to sleeve for some of the cards that has 3x8 pin power connectors. I think 2 per card is MORE than enough:D

qBCXxPg.jpg

To keep the graphic card holder in place, this little aluminium block was made. It was milled out, and then I finished it off with wet sandpaper, and manually chamfered the edges.

This mounts to the bottom of the case, so the cards can travel neither up or down.

etZbmwR.jpg

Top mounted LED strip, and acrylic duct for the fans.

A6L9djy.jpg

As mentioned before, the front has two LED strips inserted into it. The power for these are routed out of the black cover piece.

9wIC8o1.jpg

Another shot of the top LED strip.

bZaEzqN.jpg

The 8 pin cable for the motherboard.

qyr524a.jpg

And the OS drive.

K0hzZX9.jpg

Last but not least, the top fan grill. This covers up the plastic parts of tthe fans that holds the fan motor in place.

All in all a nifty little gamer:D

Thanks to ASUS and Corsair for their help with this build! If you missed it at the ASUS stand at I55, it will be at EGX also!

so many awesome details. very subtle and not at all at the same time.

Thanks for the sleeving guide. i suspect i will be diving into it My self at some point,when time is less sparse.

Thanks man! I can only say go for it with the sleeving. It is somewhat fun, and super rewarding!

This build will be a bit special, since it will be the first build in many years where I use air cooled graphic cards.

The reason for this, is that this will be a show build, build for ASUS, to show off some new graphic cards and motherboards. If you are located in the UK, you will be able to see it in person at Insomnia! :)

So naturally I have teamed up with ASUS and Corsair, and should be receiving a bunch of hardware to throw into this real soon. As this will be a show-rig the graphic cards will keep their direct CU III cooler, and I am still thinking about what cooler to use for the cpu.

Components:

TBA

For this project, I took a standard R40 case, and threw away most of the panels:D
Front panel has been redone with the ROG logo
Top and bottom outer aluminium panels has been redone with new ventilation holes, and will have a STRIX logo engraved into them
Both side panels has been laser engraved

Luckily this is super easy to do, as every panel is just flat sheets.

As mentioned, the entire front has been redone, and cut with the ROG logo, and the standard white accent pack has been swapped for a red frosted accent pack.

Still thinking about how I will light the front panel up. But when done, it should look somewhat like this.

Engraved side panel. Took roughly 1 hour in the laser!

A view of the top panel with the new ventilation holes to better match the theme.

Really like this frosted red accent pack!

The engraved side panels matches quite nicely with the aluminium profiles.

Since the graphic cards will not be watercooled, I am putting two fans in the bottom, and have cut the panels so they will cover up the fan motor, and the 4 plastic connectors holding this. Hopefully I have measured correctly:D

Rear panels are about the only thing kept stock.

Another top view. This panel is being engraved with the strix logo soon!

And lastly just a few images of the engraved side panel. I think I spent more than 6 hours drawing this pattern, and making it align :D

Hardware should be in soon!

So good just 1 question where did you get that sexy front panel?

So good just 1 question where did you get that sexy front panel?

I made it myself. Or at least I did the drawings, and then got it lasercut and painted:)