Lotus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314822

• Intel Core i5 5200U (2.20GHz)
  • 4GB Memory 500GB HDD
  • Intel HD Graphics 5500
  • 1366 x 768
  • Windows 8.1
  • $350

Seems like the best deal available for a college student, and it fits my needs. I've never dealt with Acer though, and I would be easily willing to spend another $50 or so on a 120GB SSD if the HDD starts to die since I'm kind of rough with my old laptop. I just throw it in my backpack and sometimes forget it's there. I don't care about the resolution, and the broadwell iGPU should be sufficient, and the CPU seems great for the price. Is there anything similar to this (broadwell i5) from other manufacturers at the same price point? How do Acer laptops hold up (ignoring the HDD shock problems because that's not Acer's fault). Ignore bloatware because once I get it, I'm likely doing a fresh new install of Windows 10. Laptops are an entirely new market to me, so any help would be appreciated.

acer aspires are famously cheap. and famously build cheaply. it will last a year, maybe two if you're gentle. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314822

• Intel Core i5 5200U (2.20GHz)
  • 4GB Memory 500GB HDD
  • Intel HD Graphics 5500
  • 1366 x 768
  • Windows 8.1
  • $350

Seems like the best deal available for a college student, and it fits my needs. I've never dealt with Acer though, and I would be easily willing to spend another $50 or so on a 120GB SSD if the HDD starts to die since I'm kind of rough with my old laptop. I just throw it in my backpack and sometimes forget it's there. I don't care about the resolution, and the broadwell iGPU should be sufficient, and the CPU seems great for the price. Is there anything similar to this (broadwell i5) from other manufacturers at the same price point? How do Acer laptops hold up (ignoring the HDD shock problems because that's not Acer's fault). Ignore bloatware because once I get it, I'm likely doing a fresh new install of Windows 10. Laptops are an entirely new market to me, so any help would be appreciated.

iwould say but an ssd in asap.

it will make it feel so much better.

acer aspires are famously cheap. and famously build cheaply. it will last a year, maybe two if you're gentle. 

my moms lasted 3+ and still going.

iwould say but an ssd in asap.

it will make it feel so much better.

That and the hard disks acer uses are terrible, had one for 3 years, they replaced the 500gb hard disk twice...

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

What fails? As I said, if it's the HDD I don't give a shit.

If it's the motherboard, then yeah I'll stay away.

If it's non-electronic components but instead the hinges break due to misuse, I'll probably be okay.

my moms lasted 3+ and still going.

and she keeps it in the house, plugged into the wall, and uses it for facebook only. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

What fails?

normally the hardware is fine, but hinges, keyboards, mouse pad/buttons. again, if you're toting it back and forth to classes, be careful how you set down your bag.

normally the hardware is fine, but hinges, keyboards, mouse pad/buttons. again, if you're toting it back and forth to classes, be careful how you set down your bag.

Okay, noted. Is there anything with the same CPU from other brands at the same price? Amazon and Newegg search features are kind of lacking and sometimes broken when it comes to laptop specifics. (I search i5-5200U, and several i3 laptops show up, etc)

I agree with the cheap bit. I have had one for about 4 years that has lasted fairly well considering how low quality everything is. I have only taken it outside of my house about 10 times and that was all on family holidays etc. The wrist rest blackened from where it was getting hot and you had your hand on it. I also tried to take it apart at one point, and the screw holes pretty much fell apart, with bits of cheapo plastic falling off left, right and centre. The battery died on it twice, and has broken again so it only holds charge for 10 mins. So be wary @Lotus with acer laptops.

Okay, noted. Is there anything with the same CPU from other brands at the same price? Amazon and Newegg search features are kind of lacking and sometimes broken when it comes to laptop specifics. (I search i5-5200U, and several i3 laptops show up, etc)

I don't know about in the same price range but Lenovo laptops are fairly high build quality and Asus is too bad either. I would not recommend any Dell laptops in the low end either.

My Acer laptop failed me many times and had really cheap build quality.

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

1366x768?

I don't care how cheap the laptop is. 1080p should be the minimum.

And I don't know how long your course is, but my best friend bought a really overkill laptop to last her 6 year course, and she still might have to upgrade it later. It's one thing you don't want to have to worry about later down the line, so going more expensive/premium is not a bad idea.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Mine is currently at 8 years.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.