PSU Shopping (AGAIN)

Russell450

Okay, so I am shopping for a PSU. But, I am not a PSU expert like some of you, so I need some help here. Here is what I want:

•  300-430 Watts (or more)
  • Safety (I don't want a fire to start or anything)
  • A PSU just for running a PC for less than half a year (an old HP prebuild... just to get data off the hard drive and to have a machine running for a bit... its PSU died during a thunderstorm, but I would like something more premium than the original PSU.)
  • Cheap price

So, matching with that, I found a few PSUs 

Okay, so I am shopping for a PSU. But, I am not a PSU expert like some of you, so I need some help here. Here is what I want:

•  300-430 Watts (or more)
  • Safety (I don't want a fire to start or anything)
  • A PSU just for running a PC for less than half a year (an old HP prebuild... just to get data off the hard drive and to have a machine running for a bit... it's PSU died during a thunderstorm, but I would like something more premium than the original PSU.)
  • Cheap price

So, matching with that, I found a few PSUs 

But, the problem with the Corsair CX430 is that it is out of my price range. And, remember, all I need is a PSU that will keep me up and running for less than a year, but to keep my house safe. I hope you guys can help.

just get a corsair one

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

the evga ones are probably fine. They will have lower quality components, but thats perfect for what you need it for.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

just get a corsair one

the cx lineup is terrible, never use it

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I would try the Corsair one since I think it's a Seasonic OEM but the EVGA are fine but they're just low quality components safe to use but won't last long at 100% power

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

according to johnyguru (psu expert) the ecga 400w is crap but the 430w is decent. I would go for the evga 430

The CX430 is actually good since it's a Seasonic OEM but the rest are trash

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430

There's that PSU but PCPP says it can be bought for 29.99 off microcenter because of a promo or something.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Why do you not like them?  I have one in my build here and it's been fine so far.. (had computer for only a year or so though)

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

The CX430 is actually good since it's a Seasonic OEM but the rest are trash

the cx 400 is a seasonic oem. 

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Why do you not like them?  I have one in my build here and it's been fine so far.. (had computer for only a year or so though)

mine lasted 6 months before killing my pc. never again.

and im not the only person on this forum whos cx 430 killed their pc or started a fire.

Rigs I've Built

Only good for basic builds, they have low quality components and bad temperature tolerance so if you have any high end components or overclocking then I would replace that

Setup

the cx 400 is a seasonic oem. 

My bad everything is trash but that one

Setup

never cheap out on a psu i would say atleast a corsair cs, that just what i have heard from many tech youtubers and what i have found out.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

My bad everything is trash but that one

And that one has been discontinued, they only do a 430W one now by CWT.

Ok guys, I will look into what I will get soon. Thanks.

I would recommend the 2 EVGA ones, whichever you prefer as they both OEMs are HEC, which has a better reputation than CWT (corsair) and will do the job with a HP prebuilt.

I would recommend the 2 EVGA ones, whichever you prefer as they both OEMs are HEC, which has a better reputation than CWT (corsair) and will do the job with a HP prebuilt.

That's exactly all I want. And, since HEC is better than CWT and the EVGA is almost $20 cheaper, that seems like a good deal for me. Especially for a very old HP prebuilt. Soon I will be building a custom build and will probably use a Corsair CS450M.

That's exactly all I want. And, since HEC is better than CWT and the EVGA is almost $20 cheaper, that seems like a good deal for me. Especially for a very old HP prebuilt. Soon I will be building a custom build and will probably use a Corsair CS450M.

I would not recommend the CS450M for a custom build, though it depends what you will have in it. If it just a CPU etc then you will be good, but if you are going to include a GPU then maybe something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr though it almost double the price of the CS it will be much better. OEM is HEC again.

mine lasted 6 months before killing my pc. never again.

and im not the only person on this forum whos cx 430 killed their pc or started a fire.

I have a CX 450 in mine, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Only good for basic builds, they have low quality components and bad temperature tolerance so if you have any high end components or overclocking then I would replace that

Thanks for the info, I'm not overclocking and I don't think I have any high end parts (750ti, 6790k) but if I get any I'll keep that in mind.

Spoiler

Okay! I have GREAT news! (maybe not for the people who didn't recommend the CX430... but I wanted it.) Anyway, I didn't just get the CX430, but I got the CX430M so that I could use the CX430 for my next custom build (which will be based from Linus' Ultimate Budget Build Guide, which, btw, has a CX430M in it.) And, I won't even have a GPU in the custom build until a while, and by the time I put a GPU in, I would have a much higher quality PSU. 

I was going to get the EVGA W1, but I just thought that it's not a big difference in money and performance seems better. And, the Corsair CX430M is semi-modular, so good for keeping cables neat for my next custom build.

Already ordered the CX430M on Amazon! I'm excited to finally get this PC up and running.

(which will be based from Linus' Ultimate Budget Build Guide, which, btw, has a CX430M in it.) 

This one? 

tbh it's not a great build

"Rawr XD"