Is this a failing GPU?

Gnrl Kitty

Today I tried to play the new Rise of the Triad and I ran into a new problem that I couldn't find anyone else experiencing.  It will launch, show a black screen for about two seconds, and then kick me to the desktop.  Here's the best part though... the game doesn't crash.  It goes through all the sounds of the logo videos playing and then i can hear the menu screen.  I brushed it off as just one of the many problems the game has been experience so I went to play the new Bioshock: Infinite DLC...  Same problem.  However this time I managed to get it to show me the menu screen and I noticed the resolution had been knocked down.  I got into the graphics settings and changed it to 1920x1080 and it kicked me back to desktop again.  When I get back to the game screen I find out it won't change the resolution.  After messing around with it for awhile I got the image below... Is my GPU failing?  It's a 2-3 year old ATI 6870.

post-20751-0-56453400-1375400701_thumb.p

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

Driver support for 6xxx series ati cars is really not that great, however there hasnt been a driver optimization patch for rott. But if you say you have the same problem with Bioshock Infinite, it looks like your card might not get driver updates for latest games...

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Driver support for 6xxx series ati cars is really not that great, however there hasnt been a driver optimization patch for rott. But if you say you have the same problem with Bioshock Infinite, it looks like your card might not get driver updates for latest games...

Well that's not good...

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm unfortunately rocking Windows 8. :/

When my 9800GTX failed it did it spontaneously. The game locked up all of the sudden and then I reset the PC. When it booted again it had weird blue lines in the BIOS and in windows.

I later did the oven trick and it works grate now xD

I'm unfortunately rocking Windows 8. :/

Windows 8 + Hardware older than 12 month = FAIL. Gotta love MS

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Well... reinstalling the drivers kept it from booting me to the desktop, but it refuses to adjust the resolution of the game properly... it's like it's just zooming in.