Windows 10 What Are You Thoughts So Far?

By the way I have a giant ass rant almost ready for this exact topic about this OS right now lmaoooooo 

I've only tried the Tech Preview version so far. I installed it on my older Dell XPS gaming laptop, and it works "just fine" for everyday use. It looks really ugly though. The icons MS went with looks like some kind of relic from the Windows 3.1 days.The "flat" overall design also looks awful. The slickest looking Windows to date was the XPS customized Vista that came with my laptop.

I did like that you can snap windows to corners. I do like the overall performance, in that it seems to perform very much like Windows 7. I like the fact that they've relented and given us back the start menu, however I'm not altogether sure I like how the new start menu works. The new version of Internet Explorer, "Edge" as they call it, is just that; A new version of Internet Explorer. It still performs sub-par compared to Pale Moon (Firefox fork) and Chrome. It lacks in html feature support, so it's basically pointless. I you're one of those people who always have been using Internet Explorer because it came with Windows, then I'm sure Edge can be a step in the right direction, but personally I'll be sticking with Pale Moon for a while yet.

What I don't like is this: Microsoft seems to think they are going to become the new Apple. The focus in Windows have gone from being "allow the user enough choice to at least let them have the illusion of personal freedom" to "The user won't want choices if 'it simply works', right?" which has always been the Apple approach. Like... Why forced updates? Does this mean that since Skype is a MS product, I cannot keep using the older (6.18.0.106) MUCH better version, because it'll come as a forced update along with Windows' own security updates?  How about a newer driver build for some piece of hardware, that I'd prefer not to have because it alters functionality? Or some WHQL certified driver for my mouse, from Razer, that adds all the Razer control panel bullshit, rather than just running "generic USB Mouse" driver which works just fine? Personally, I don't like this approach.

But what is even worse, is the way Microsoft blatantly feels that promoting the "Windows Ecosystem" is much more important than the users security. This whole BS of linking your local user account to a Windows Live account in order to get access to (mostly unnecessary) online features such as cloud storage, Outlook mail service, Windows App store and so on...
Right? So what when (yes...when) MS gets hacked again, and somebody gains access to 20 gazillion Windows Live accounts... In most cases, that will give those same hackers administrator access... LOCALLY on millions of PCs. Fine... Fuck up my Skype, which is the only thing I use my Windows Live account for... But I'm not removing a layer of security just for some imagined convenience.

Depending on how much NOT linking my local user account will affect daily usage of Windows 10, this could be one of the things that'll have me consider doing the swap to Linux. I mean, most developers that matter (which pretty much means all the ones who have been reinventing themselves through kickstarter) are making their games for both Windows and Linux these days, so it shouldn't affect gaming much. Also, with Vulkan looking like it'll be at least as powerful as DX12, while at the same time not being Windows specific, there should be no reason why Linux will be held back as a full on gaming platform.

I'm genuinely hoping that my concerns will be proven trivial though, because Microsoft could really do with another good product soon.

Rant over ;)

Can't stand this POS. Won't let me go back to 8.1 through settings or through the cd my computer came with. I won't be forced to buy a new monitor because windows doesn't have there shit togeather. /Rant

@AlwaysFSX What do you think of the OS so far? I'm curious to know - please share 

Haven't even bothered to download it yet because it'll take a couple days.

Haven't even bothered to download it yet because it'll take a couple days.

Be prepared to rant like crazy, there's good futuristic based stuff but it pissed me off alot and I'm still pissed lol 

Be prepared to rant like crazy, there's good futuristic based stuff but it pissed me off alot and I'm still pissed lol 

Eh, people said the same about 8 and I like 8..

-this is a long text so I'll just snip it 

A ton of that I agree with, especially the part where Microsoft is becoming the second "Apple" it's only a matter of time until Apple becomes corrupt enough that they go after Microsoft for copyright or whatever. Now back to the O.S.... This thing is still fucking garbage. I originally had a rant already typed up so I guess I'll have to start again since I got rid of it by accident. I understand getting used to a new O.S. can be frustrating but this is just the same shit as 8 just barely even better. I want to go into further details but to be honest I don't want to type up a storm unless necessary. 

Eh, people said the same about 8 and I like 8..

8 is controversial... I'm still quite back and forth about it, it has its ups and downs 

I like it. I can go back to recommending 8GB RAM now, I'm using about 2GB less at all times with the same background processes running. Windows 7 had reached the point where I was making up for bad software by buying better hardware. It's 8 but with a coherent PC interface (and without that hideous charms bar getting in the way constantly).

I like the start menu. I don't think the home screen was necessarily bad (once you'd removed all of the bloat) but it makes much more sense to be part of a start menu than its own screen. Desktop scaling now goes all the way up to 300%. 150% was always enough for 4K (text is the same size as it would be on a 1440p monitor) but it's a nice bit of futureproofing to be not on the very edge of where resolutions are now.

And windows apps! Little things like being able to look at the PDF viewer with the research document in AND have the report you're writing ON THE SCREEN AT THE SAME TIME. It shouldn't be revolutionary but it is -_-

(Before you ask the laptop I was using was a work laptop and so was locked down. I had to use the included app, I couldn't install Adobe).

Aesthetically, the search bar is huge. Considering it opens up its own menu, I'm not sure why it couldn't just have been part of the start menu again.

I don't think I'm ever going to want Cortana. Aside from not even hiding its true intention of being a data harvesting tool in the install, I've only ever used Siri for the gimmicky joke responses. The Google App has had voice control for longer than I've had Siri and I've never used that either.

I think that leads on to my big big issue with Windows 10. There is an awful lot of data mining. Like an obscene amount. This isn't an OS, it's an NSA wet dream. Most of the new features involve sending things like browsing history and general tracking information to Microsoft.

8 is controversial... I'm still quite back and forth about it, it has its ups and downs 

Only thing I never liked about it was getting to the power button. At least 10 makes it easier. Going to let it download while I sleep, hopefully I can fix my activation problem and upgrade.

Its broken, filled with crapware/tons of useless apps, nvidia drivers crashing, start menu is unusable, luckly i own startisback++ for win10, the activation doesnt work ever, you cant do a clean install after upgrade,i cant deactivate cortana and other stuff, auto updates that cant be selected.

Thats from the 1st day,if they dont have a ton of fixes incoming in august/september and some major overhauls in win 10.1 oh boy, this is some fail OS.

Its broken, filled with crapware/tons of useless apps, nvidia drivers crashing, start menu is unusable, luckly i own startisback++ for win10, the activation doesnt work ever, you cant do a clean install after upgrade,i cant deactivate cortana and other stuff, auto updates that cant be selected.

Thats from the 1st day,if they dont have a ton of fixes incoming in august/september and some major overhauls in win 10.1 oh boy, this is some fail OS.

The Windows 10 start menu is fucking terrible to be honest, I was hoping for something like 7. You can deactivate Cortana it's just off in some weird ass menu in settings. Personally I'm most likely going to go back to 7 if this shit doesn't get fixed. 

Had a quick look at it on another PC, and my initial impression is that it's way too expensive for what it is.

Downloading the ISO right now to get a more in-dept look.  I need to learn it anyway just in case my boss decides to do something stupid like upgrading his laptop. 

Just hit 34% after close to 12 hours.  I think I'll be able to install it to my VM by tomorrow evening.

The Windows 10 start menu is fucking terrible to be honest, I was hoping for something like 7. You can deactivate Cortana it's just off in some weird ass menu in settings. Personally I'm most likely going to go back to 7 if this shit doesn't get fixed. 

Well i installed startisback++ and im still searching for a way to nuke Cortana from using resources pointlessly and  for a way to do a clean install.

Its just as bad as windows 8, in 8 you didnt have a start menu, in 10 you have a useless one, at least theres classic shell and startisback++ on day1.

Now lets see how microsof will support win10 will they roll out fixes and interface improvements? cause the new windowing systems sucks balls you can notice how bad the animations are on the new metro like control panel.

Well i installed startisback++ and im still searching for a way to nuke Cortana from using resources pointlessly and  for a way to do a clean install.

Its just as bad as windows 8, in 8 you didnt have a start menu, in 10 you have a useless one, at least theres classic shell and startisback++ on day1.

Now lets see how microsof will support win10 will they roll out fixes and interface improvements? cause the new windowing systems sucks balls you can notice how bad the animations are on the new metro like control panel.

8, 8.1, and 10 all in a row... this isn't the usual trend from Microsoft where people say it's the usual every other OS.. can't wait to get a copy of windows 7 for my future pc