Windows 10 on USB? How do you do that?

R3DOPS

So upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 seems to not work for me so i want to know. How do you do a clean install of windows 10 of a bookable USB drive? i have an 8 GB usb drive i can use. I also want to know if i will run into problems of activation. I still have my windows 7 activation key and i am wondering if i can use that to activate windows 10? Thanks 

Rufus.

MS has a offical tool.

So upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 seems to not work for me so i want to know. How do you do a clean install of windows 10 of a bookable USB drive? i have an 8 GB usb drive i can use. I also want to know if i will run into problems of activation. I still have my windows 7 activation key and i am wondering if i can use that to activate windows 10? Thanks 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

download that and itll guide you 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

will i run into activation issues? 

no , not if your install is up to date 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

MS has a offical tool.

Yeah but I don't think it supports UEFI.

you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx).  So can i use my windows 7 key? 

No, you need to successfully upgrade your PC to Windows 10 and activate first before you can clean install with the ISO.  You can also upgrade with the ISO if you run it in Windows 7.  Once you upgrade you can clean install and skip the CD key part due to your computer already being activated from the previous upgrade

No, you need to successfully upgrade your PC to Windows 10 and activate first before you can clean install with the ISO

No, you need to successfully upgrade your PC to Windows 10 and activate first before you can clean install with the ISO

So your saying i shold wait until the thing says im ready to install windows 10 then i can do the ISO or USB boot? 

So your saying i shold wait until the thing says im ready to install windows 10 then i can do the ISO or USB boot? 

I edited my post.  You can use the ISO to upgrade as well, it is one of the options

I edited my post.  You can use the ISO to upgrade as well, it is one of the options

Ok i find this a bit confusing.. But what im wondering is if i use the usb method to install windows 10 i wont have to worry about activation? what happens later when i have to reinstall window again because of a virus or somthing? 

Ok i find this a bit confusing.. But what im wondering is if i use the usb method to install windows 10 i wont have to worry about activation? what happens later when i have to reinstall window again because of a virus or somthing? 

From the instructions page for the ISO, the note being the key part.  Basically once you upgrade, you are permanently activated on that computer even if you reinstall as the key is tied to your motherboard

1. On the Enter the product key to activate Windows page, enter your product key. The product key should be in a purchase confirmation email if you bought Windows 10. It looks like this: PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

Note
    • If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

will i run into activation issues? 

Ok firstly you can not use your windows 7 key for windows 10 as it will say its not a valid key (I know i tried that). what you will need to do is go to this site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the tool and follow the instructions for your windows 10 installer. once you have done that you will have to upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10. Once your in Windows 10 you will have to find a way to get your windows key to be able to do a fresh install. 

Also note that USB you made for Windows 10 will allow fresh installs so you wont have to worry about getting another USB to get it installed

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02