Best storage solution?

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Sup guys, I've been using two 2 TB hdd's for a while now, and is ASININE slow at booting. I'm thinking about getting an sshd, or using an ssd for the boot drive and the hdd's for the storage ( but don't want to have to mess with registry edits or anything). And also at the same time have over 800 gigs of important files , programs, and steam games, so keep that in mind for an ssd. What do you think I should get?

Hey there dunkedonkid and welcome to the community :) Do follow your threads so you can see if anyone responded or needs some additional info in order to help you out :)

What I would recommend is having a SSD large-enough for your OS and your most-demanding applications and games that can actually benefit from it (open-world games and others that load huge texture files while in-game). Games generally rely on the storage's performance only for the loading times so you won't see any difference whatsoever in FPS or graphics. 

SSHDs are good drives if you mostly use only a few things on your computer. These drives have a small 8GB SSD drive caching the larger HDD and the drive itself decides which applications are more frequently used and stores their load files. For everything else it works as a simple 5,400 rpm drive (the HDD part is usually a 5,400 rpm drive) and is usually slower compared to a good 7,200 rpm drive (WD Black for example). If you have a larger amount of games and don't use any specific applications often I wouldn't advise you to go with a SSHD. 

Even the cached files can nearly reach the 500+MB/s read/write speeds of a pure SSD. :)

Captain_WD.

Sup guys, I've been using two 2 TB hdd's for a while now, and is ASININE slow at booting. I'm thinking about getting an sshd, or using an ssd for the boot drive and the hdd's for the storage ( but don't want to have to mess with registry edits or anything). And also at the same time have over 800 gigs of important files , programs, and steam games, so keep that in mind for an ssd. What do you think I should get?

SSD.

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

SSHD is a very viable option to use for a larger storage that is almost as fast as an SSD

You can get a 2TB for like 80$

Otherwise you can install your OS on an SSD, then have an HDD

Adobe Photoshop Graphic Artist and PC Building Enthusiast

Corsair 750D | I7 4770 | Aorus Waterblocked 1080ti | z97A Gaming 7 MSI | EVGA supernova 750 G2 Gold | 900P 280Gb 256GB 850PRO 128 GB 850 EVO| 32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB) | Logitech g502 mouse | Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop |

actually I heard 3.5 floppy's are making a comeback.....

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

I have a 500 gb ssd for my main drive a 120 ssd for my vms and a 1 tb for backups and then a 2 tb drive for games, music, pictures & movies.

CPU: A10-6800k @ 4.7 Motherboard: Asus A88X-Plus RAM: Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 GB GPU: PNY GTX 660 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, 120 GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1 TB WD Blue PSU: Corsair HX750i Display(s): Asus VS248H-P Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 Keyboard: Amazon Special Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45 Sound: Amazon Special Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

almost as fast as an SSD

I'm fairly sure that's not even close to being true. You might get a higher write speed for the first few gigabytes, but after the cache is full you will be limited to the HDD's speed. And as far as read performance goes, it will only improve for some files used regularly (like the OS) and will be limited by the size of the cache "partition". They're still a viable option if you want a high capacity drive that's slightly faster than a normal HDD, but don't expect SSD-like performance ;). But as you stated, it's probably better to used a separate SSD as boot drive.

Hey there dunkedonkid and welcome to the community :) Do follow your threads so you can see if anyone responded or needs some additional info in order to help you out :)

What I would recommend is having a SSD large-enough for your OS and your most-demanding applications and games that can actually benefit from it (open-world games and others that load huge texture files while in-game). Games generally rely on the storage's performance only for the loading times so you won't see any difference whatsoever in FPS or graphics. 

SSHDs are good drives if you mostly use only a few things on your computer. These drives have a small 8GB SSD drive caching the larger HDD and the drive itself decides which applications are more frequently used and stores their load files. For everything else it works as a simple 5,400 rpm drive (the HDD part is usually a 5,400 rpm drive) and is usually slower compared to a good 7,200 rpm drive (WD Black for example). If you have a larger amount of games and don't use any specific applications often I wouldn't advise you to go with a SSHD. 

Even the cached files can nearly reach the 500+MB/s read/write speeds of a pure SSD. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/