GTX 780 - reference vs. non-reference

Hey everyone, 

As much as i love the power of new hardware, i also like the visual appeal. That's why i've been dying to get a GTX 780, primarily becuase it looks so freaking sexy!

Would it be a bad decision to go with the reference cooler when you have all the other options of better cooling with non-reference?

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Getting even a 780 is never going to be a "bad" decision (unless someone was offering you a free titan or something). Non-reference coolers slightly improve cooling (by a few degrees Celsius at most) at a slight increase in cost, with a different look. It isn't then end of the world. 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Usually the non-reference cards have better cooling and possibly better quality components but the reference design will also perform very well

Well it depends if your willing to sacrifice performance for looks.

GTX 780 Reference = Good looks less performance.

GTX 780 non-reference = Bad looks better performance. 

Your choice

Well it depends if your willing to sacrifice performance for looks.

GTX 780 Reference = Good looks less performance.

GTX 780 non-reference = Bad looks better performance. 

Your choice

The non-reference doesn't have necessarily bad looks

It's a matter of personal preference

I personally like some of the non-reference designs from ASUS or MSI

Its a marginal difference either unless you are getting some kind of a super over kill cooler like the direct cu II from asus. 

If you decide to go reference. I would go EVGA because of there amazing warranties.

And my favorite non reference is 

http://www.inno3d.com/product/ichillgtx780.html

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

If i were to go reference, i would definately go EVGA. I currently got a GTX 680 from EVGA (Reference). Is it worth an upgrade? Not sure. Im currently running 2560x1440 on this single card.

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

I don't even think a reference 780 that's been overclocked gets to a temperature that starts to throttle it. You just won't get the quietest system and <70c when gaming. But it is still a good option.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Am I the only one who hates the reference "Titan" cooler? I look it looks so cheap, and that green LED lighting is such a sore (I know you can turn it off but still). If it was RGB it would be different.

Anyways after market cooler = better overclocking, cooler, and quieter, also there are a lot of options and I can't see one of those options not compliment your build aesthetically.

if you really like the looks of the reference one, get it. A LOT of people think it looks killer, so ya. 

Am I the only one who hates the reference "Titan" cooler? I look it looks so cheap, and that green LED lighting is such a sore (I know you can turn it off but still). If it was RGB it would be different.

Anyways after market cooler = better overclocking, cooler, and quieter, also there are a lot of options and I can't see one of those options not compliment your build aesthetically.

if you really like the looks of the reference one, get it. A LOT of people think it looks killer, so ya. 

It took me a while to come around to the good looks of the "Titan" cooler if I'm honest, but it does look pretty nice, at the end of the day though ... I would still rather get a non-reference, simply because it is going to run cooler and quieter than a standard card.

I guess if performance is most important, you would obviously pick a non-reference to take full advantage of gpu boost 2.0

Main Rig
Phone

are there any non reference  card that have got changes to the pcb i can only think of 3 

1. evga classified

2. asus direct cu 2

3. the up coming msi lightning ? ( may be )

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

I have a MSI GTX780 reference but i decided straight away to install an ACCELERO HYBRID on it. First i wanted and EVGA ACX 780 but because it was hard to get i decided for an alternative, suprisingly the price altogether was the same so i went for reference msi+accelero hybrid.  Temps lower by 15C and the noise comparison is huge, the stock cooler because the blow design tends to get loud, atleast for my ears.

Im very very Satisfied, idle 28-31 (ambient 25-28(summer here)) load max 61-64 in games like fifa,nba,LoL the load is 35-40C (using MX-4 paste came with the accelero kit) :D

Instalation of the Accelero Hybrid on a GTX 780, here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

i7 4770K 4.7 Ghz (1.285vCore, CORSAIR H110) - GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER M5 - MSI GTX 780 (Arctic Hybrid watercooled)- G.SKILL 16gb 2133Mhz cl9 - SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256gb - CORSAIR 350D - CORSAIR RM 750W

LENOVO Y500 i7 3630qm 3.4 Ghz, GTX 650M SLI, 8gb 1600Mhz, WD 1tb, Cooler Master U2

BUILD LOG: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

I have the reference design and its not OC'd as far as it could and it boosts to 1045 mhz while staying under the 80c temp limit. So I think it works great.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Some reference cards perform as well as other designs, moslty though reference is good if you want to watercool

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

no, but you will get better performance from non-reference because of gpu boost 2.0  

Something Awesome!

I don't even think a reference 780 that's been overclocked gets to a temperature that starts to throttle it. You just won't get the quietest system and <70c when gaming. But it is still a good option.

Agreed, i haven't had mine throttle me at all, just sounds like a really small hair dryer and keeps chugging along. can't hear it with headphones on at least. My old 660ti power edition sounded like a 747 landing on my desk when the fans ramped up

• 3 months later...

i got reference 780 and my sisters 770 asus card does 10 more fps in FF-XIV :c both a bit oc but still so weird =/

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

i got reference 780 and my sisters 770 asus card does 10 more fps in FF-XIV :c both a bit oc but still so weird =/

Might have something to do with GPU Boost 2.0

Main Rig
Phone