how do i reuse my old hard drive

i want to reuse my old harddrive thatalready hase windows on it but im switching my pc parts out what do i do im geting a new motherboard and new cpu 

stick it in the new pc and re-activate windows.

Be sure to remove old drivers and install new drivers as well.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You plug in the SATA power cable from the PSU to the hard drive. Follow by plunging in the SATA data cable into the motherboard and the hard drive

AND BOOM it should work

The ideal thing would be to do a fresh install of Windows, but you don't have to do this. If you want to reuse your existing copy of windows, uninstall all the drivers for your motherboard and then install the new ones once you swap out your parts.

Swapping your motherboard might mess with your windows activation, so you should also have your key handy.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

how do re activate windows

and also how do i delete old drivers

Deleting old drivers shouldn't be much of an issue, if it is use something like ccleaner to remove all unnecessary files 

The ideal thing would be to do a fresh install of Windows, but you don't have to do this. If you want to reuse your existing copy of windows, uninstall all the drivers for your motherboard and then install the new ones once you swap out your parts.

Swapping your motherboard might mess with your windows activation, so you should also have your key handy.

What he said is best.

there is an option on amd caytlst that ses restore to fasctory dfault 

Teh key that came with windows when you isntalled it

download-magic-jelly-bean-windows-activa

^check this if it doesn't have a sticker and you didn't buy it with a disk. You need to get the iso if you want a fresh install and you can use this key finder to get the code.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

how do re activate windows

and also how do i delete old drivers

Make sure you quote people if you want them to help you - it gives them a notification so they know you replied to them :)

Check the box that came with windows (or however you got windows - perhaps an email, idk) and it should be located around there.

To uninstall programs: Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features --> uninstall your stuff (I'm on Windows 8.1 so it might differ a tiny bit but it should be similar)

That button in AMD Catalyst isn't the button you're looking for I'm afraid. That would likely just reset the program to its factory defaults, but it wouldn't uninstall it.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

thanks so much i fond the program ritehere amd caytlyst install manager thanks soo much man

well i dont have the key either becouse i bought the pc pre built

this is going to take so much work im just better off buying a new hard drive and windows and calling it a day

where would i find my key on windows 8,1

JellyBean key finder

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

i want to reuse my old harddrive thatalready hase windows on it but im switching my pc parts out what do i do im geting a new motherboard and new cpu 

Hey EternalL3gendz,

What's the brand and model of your drive?
I would suggest backing up everything important from your boot partition, wipe it and do a fresh install of your OS (you would have to reinstall all the applications and games too). This is the most problem-free way, avoiding compatibility issues, transferring errors or malware from your old build to the new one. Just make sure you write down your key first.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/