MSI x99a gaming 7 - PCIE for Sli

I have a MSI x99a gaming 7 motherboard, i7 5930k and 2 MSI 980ti 6g gaming cards. The question is if I place the cards in slot 2 and 4 the cards are basically touching each other. Can I place one in slot 2 and one in 6 leaving two slots between them without losing performance?

I have never done a sli setup as I have always just bought a top of the line single card so I am a bit confused on the different pcie slots and their speeds.

i7 5960x, 16Gb Corsair 3200, MSI x99 Gaming 9, 2x SLI MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, Corsair HX1000i, Intel 750 Series PCI-E, Phanteks Primo Orange, Custom Watercooled. 

I have a MSI x99a gaming 7 motherboard, i7 5930k and 2 MSI 980ti 6g gaming cards. The question is if I place the cards in slot 2 and 4 the cards are basically touching each other. Can I place one in slot 2 and one in 6 leaving two slots between them without losing performance?

I have never done a sli setup as I have always just bought a top of the line single card so I am a bit confused on the different pcie slots and their speeds.

the motherboard diagram shows the PCI-E lanes depending on how many GPUs you have

USUALLY its slot 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 so there is a gap, but check it!

for sli you need at least 8 lanes per card. less wont work, there is no additional performance benefit from more lanes

If you already have the board and cards, then why not try it, it wont hurt the GPUs, it will just put them in different modes, they could both be in 16x or both in 8x, 4x ect. Then open GPUz and see what they are in.

I checked the manual before and thought it was slot 2 and 4 which i recalled incorrectly. They are currently in 1 and 3 and that means they are running in 16x each of them. The problem is the cards are very close and I am worry about cooling.

The manual only shows those two slots for 2way sli and 3 way it shows slot 6 as well. Just wondering if there is any issue in placing the second card in slot 6 even if in 3way its says 8x but in 2way its crossed out?

i7 5960x, 16Gb Corsair 3200, MSI x99 Gaming 9, 2x SLI MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, Corsair HX1000i, Intel 750 Series PCI-E, Phanteks Primo Orange, Custom Watercooled. 

Try it. I mean it shouldn't take more than 10min to find out if sli is actually working with that slot configuration.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS