Silence vs Open Airflow Noise Conundrum

TroubleKlef

So I'm currently looking at getting a new case but I'm running into a conundrum.

I value both airflow and silence and there are cases built specifically for silence (such as the infamous R5) and others for airflow (Phanteks) but which is better?

Would you rather..

1. Have a great airflow case and have the fans set to a low RPM to get both airflow and silence?

2. Have a silent case with stifled airflow thus having to ramp up fans to get both airflow and silence?

It depends on your specs. Keeping temps cool enough is all you would need and warmer temps is usually not a bad trade for much quieter operation. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It depends on your specs. Keeping temps cool enough is all you would need and warmer temps is usually not a bad trade for much quieter operation. 

That is true. The conundrum only exists when aiming for the same temps. Someone could easily have silent fans and a silent case while having higher but safe temps.

That is true. The conundrum only exists when aiming for the same temps. Someone could easily have silent fans and a silent case while having higher but safe temps.

Both my CPU and GPU stay in the low-mid 60s on load and my whole build overall is silent. Might be able to hear the HDDs when they're in use if you really try to.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I'd rather the ability to go loud and cool, than be restricted to just having a quite system with hot components. 

Though, fans aren't the only things that make sound in the case, a watercooler, and some other components, would make a silence-centered case a better idea imo. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Both my CPU and GPU stay in the low-mid 60s on load and my whole build overall is silent. Might be able to hear the HDDs when they're in use if you really try to.

Hm.... interesting. Your overclock is similar to mine (both clock speed and voltage) and the only thing stopping me from going any higher were temperatures. It's also interesting because I was looking at the Enthoo Pro as my next case but I can't decide between that an the Define S.

I'd rather the ability to go loud and cool, than be restricted to just having a quite system with hot components. 

Though, fans aren't the only things that make sound in the case, a watercooler, and some other components, would make a silence-centered case a better idea imo. 

That's another thing. I currently have a D-14 air cooler in my case and because my case is so restricted in airflow, the cooler can't do its job properly.

I'm thinking if I go Define S with an AIO in the front panel (thus drawing fresh cool air) I could set the fan/pump speeds to low while still getting great temps and silence.