TomTom is making maps for autonomous vehicles

Lord Sparklebottom

CK8FfhdWIAA3F6v.jpg

Autonomous vehicles, like self-driving cars will need more detailed maps to make people safe and snug. Now GPS giant TomTom is doing just that.

They're working with auto parts maker Bosch to create these new maps for self-driving cars.

They've already started in Germany and are aiming to map "all freeways and freeway-like roads in Germany" by the end of the year and then expanding to cover the rest of Europe and North America. These areas has currently no timeline, but they're shooting for the end to the decade. "Only with high precision maps will automated driving on freeways be possible from 2020," says Dirk Hoheisel, a Bosch board member.

There are already cars out on the US' I-280 and Germany's A81 testing the maps.

TomTom says that these new maps have to be much more detailed than its traditional maps. Their precision has to be down to the decimeter, and they also have to include enough information that a car can determine which lane it's in and where it'll see different road features, like signs and dividers. The two companies plan to have either mapping or self-driving vehicles report any changes they identify up to a central server, which will then be able to inform other vehicles for safety purposes and efficiency

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/27/9048027/tomtom-bosch-autonomous-vehicle-mapping

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

Tomtom still exists? I thought that google maps killed them when smart phones became a thing.

Still, this'll force all the other guys that are working on their own self driving cars to work that much harder. Capitalization FTW!

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Tomtom still exists? I thought that google maps killed them when smart phones became a thing.

Still, this'll force all the other guys that are working on their own self driving cars to work that much harder. Capitalization FTW!

When I'm in another country something like a TomTom works great since it won't use my phone data that's crazy expensive to use foreign   

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

When I'm in another country something like a TomTom works great since it won't use my phone data that's crazy expensive to use foreign   

Ah, you're right. I'm thinking of my grandma not getting lost on the way to visit her grandkids in the next town over. 

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Interesting, I remember when tomtom was the shit for a couple minutes for GPS. Definitely interesting to see someone go with a company that doesn't start and end with Google. *Not that I can say if that's a good idea or not since google most likely has the most mature maps out there.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society