Asus launches X99-M WS motherboard

asim1999

Especially since HDD's are becominng obsolete and nobody uses the 5.25 slots anymore

Mechanical HDDs won't be obsolete for another 200 years before crystal-based storage becomes a thing.

And I use 5.25" bays for this:

HD-036-BT_25556_350.jpgIcy-Dock-MB996SP-6SB-Front.jpg

(left for HDDs, right for SSDs)

In every damn system I build. I hate standard HDD cages, and always remove them.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Mechanical HDDs won't be obsolete for another 200 years before crystal-based storage becomes a thing.

And I use 5.25" bays for this:

HD-036-BT_25556_350.jpgIcy-Dock-MB996SP-6SB-Front.jpg

(left for HDDs, right for SSDs)

In every damn system I build. I hate standard HDD cages, and always remove them.

Why the fuck would someone use internal hdd's instead of quiet external ones (for media storage, a 500GB ssd for OS&Programs&Games is enough)

Also.. my 4.5 year old 1TB hdd's reach like 70-80Mb/s read speed while my brand new 3TB external one reaches +150Mb/s

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

why does it need so many power connectors a 24 pin 2x 8 pin and a 6 pin. not even my RVE has that many and that is a quad SLI board.  

Why the fuck would someone use internal hdd's instead of quiet external ones (for media storage, a 500GB ssd for OS&Programs&Games is enough)

lol are you a granny who only has a computer to play solitaire and browse CNN?

I record about 6TB of tracks for music per year, god knows how much video when gaming, got sample libraries altogether over 2TB etc. and 310 Steam games.

"Quiet external ones". Yeah, I would love to load my sample libraries off of a 5400 RPM USB-interface failure-prone piece of 512kbyte cache clutter-making debris.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

lol are you a granny who only has a computer to play solitaire and browse CNN?

I record about 6TB of tracks for music per year, god knows how much video when gaming, got sample libraries altogether over 2TB etc. and 310 Steam games.

"Quiet external ones". Yeah, I would love to load my sample libraries off of a 5400 RPM USB-interface failure-prone piece of 512kbyte cache clutter-making debris.

WUT??? I am into music production myself.

2TB of samples? I bet not even Armin van Buuren has that many in 20 years of production. The full Vengeance Sample pack is like 50GB that's all you ever need (+100K sounds). RefX Nexus is like 100GB with all the installed expansions. The rest are just small old plugins like Sylenth1 which is like 50MB but has thousands of sounds which are a few kb each.

My next build is going to have a 256GB ssd for the Windows 10/FL Studio/VST/Plugins/Adobe Premiere etc and a 512GB ssd for my games. The 3TB is going to be used for external storage like movies. No more noisy hdd's and waste of space/airflow in my case.

And u got 310 steam games? I'm in the +500 club bro in just 1 year xD. There is no way anybody in this world can play more then 512GB worth of games and still get immersed in the story/gameplay. That's like trying to watch 10 movies at the same time. 

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

That's a great looking case but damn; stop playing with your box and do some kegel exercises.

Honestly though micro atx is bad enough, mini is just garbage.  Way too limited in upgrade flexibility.

That's a great looking box but damn; stop playing with your box and do some kegel exercises.

Honestly though micro atx is bad enough, mini is just garbage.  Way too limited in upgrade flexibility.

U can have a 295X2 in a Mini-ITX so yeah...

Can't wait until AMD or Nvidia release a quad-cpu card with watercooling, would need PCI-E 4.0 for the bandwidth     :P

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

U can have a 295X2 in a Mini-ITX so yeah...

Sure but when a new standard comes out you'll have a hard time expanding.  No sound cards, no raid controllers, no USB-Type X expander cards, just need to buy new mobos all the time.  Fine if that's what the person wants, but its a bigger pain in the butt for many.  They're just weak tea IMO.

Sure but when a new standard comes out you'll have a hard time expanding.  No sound cards, no raid controllers, no USB-Type X expander cards, just need to buy new mobos all the time.  Fine if that's what the person wants, but its a bigger pain in the butt for many.  They're just weak tea IMO.

PCI-E Soundcards? People still believe in that bullshit? 

Raid controllers? How many average users do you know who use them?

PCI-E Usb cards? You don't need 3.1, 3.0 will be supported for years to come just like 2.0. Also there are a few Mini-ITX motherboards with 3.1 already.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

My setup could probably be done on an ITX board, if I scrapped my bluray drive and my external sata port (I never use any of them anyways).

But matx can be used when you need 4 ram modules, lots of drives, 2011 platform, and all the bells and whistles, even if you only want 1 GPU. It's just interesting seeing most people's systems in here, that could easily be ITX or at least matx. Big dumb boxes full of air, ugh. And yes I have ATX as well, because my case is ATX, but my ATX case is smaller than a Corsair 450D mATX case, lol. My next upgrade sometimes in 2016 or 2017, will be matx I think.

The Corsair 450D is ATX... ;)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

The Corsair 450D is ATX... ;)

You're right, meant the 350D.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

WUT??? I am into music production myself.

2TB of samples? I bet not even Armin van Buuren has that many in 20 years of production. The full Vengeance Sample pack is like 50GB that's all you ever need (+100K sounds). 

tumblr_lpdxxa7cC61qj6sk2o1_400.gif

When you're in many different genres, yes. I'm not even that into electronic music but I still have the vengeance collection. The type of samples I use more are for orchestral production music and they total roughly 1.8TB.

Orchestral production music gets really dead really fast with low sample variance. And you also have to record some things with it to liven it up.

edit: doublepost

tumblr_lpdxxa7cC61qj6sk2o1_400.gif

When you're in many different genres, yes. I'm not even that into electronic music but I still have the vengeance collection. The type of samples I use more are for orchestral production music and they total roughly 1.8TB.

Orchestral production music gets really dead really fast with low sample variance. And you also have to record some things with it to liven it up.

EDM and especially trance is heavily based on string sessions used as pads.

You probably have the whole Native Instruments VST collection, that shit is so big they use to sell it on 500GB hdd's.

Now I'm really curious, can you post some of your "creations"?

Also, I think you might know this guy, he's Norwegian too :D

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU