windows 8.1 generic freeze

archangel7654321
Go to solution Solved by archangel7654321,

ummm... does uninstalling the mortal kombat resolve the issue?

You would have to agree that it would be freaky if a software that is not added to starup, just being there... causes issues with windows starting up.

But yes I will have to agree that there is no imaginable way to install M.2 incorectly and still make the PC boot.

My only suggestion would be trying to check if you have any restore points under system restore:

Win+R --> "rstrui" --> Enter

If both uninstalling the suspicious MK X and doing a system restore does not help.

You will be left with only trying to do a clean windows installtion.

And if that does not resolve issue, then it is likely a hardware problem.

Hello DXMember,

Found the solution to my problem yesterday....

It ended up being a bugy keyboard driver

My only USB inputs in my system is Razer Deathstalker Ultimate keyboard that takes 2 USB  ports and I thought powering up my system without pluging it

At POST my system complained that it didnt find any keyboard but it continued to boot windows

When it sat on desktop everything was loaded correctly with no hang or freeze or whatever

Unistalled / reinstalled the keyboard driver solved the issue permanetely

Maybe Switchblade touchpad caused the bugs but who knows?

Problem solved

Thank you

Hey guys

Lately I've been having a very annoying problem on windows startup

My windows 8.1 pro makes a generic freeze for 40-50 seconds after it sits on desktop

Sometimes it hangs on logging screen and then it gives a black screen and then after 50-60 seconds everything is ok

Checked that I have the latest drivers with drivertoolkit full version and with manufacturers sites

Checked that I have all windows updates

I can not access any of the files or folder when it is freezed e.g. My computer or Control Panel etc

I have noticed that some taskbar icons wont appear before the freeze:

Get windows 10

Razer Synapse 2.0

NZXT C.A.M

Asus gpu tweek

and finally Steam...

I have removed and checked one by one all above programs but the freeze insists

I didnt have this problem until I installed the latest update from Steam about Mortal Kombat X on 22/07/2015 which it let me play the game because of my i7 5960x multithreading thing

My system is 

i7 5960x

Asus x99 deluxe

corsair dominator platinum ddr4 32gb

Asus strix gtx980 in sli

Asus xonar essence stx ii 7.1

NZXT 1200W PSU

what is your storage solution?

could it be an old hard drive?

check your SATA connector

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

what is your storage solution?

could it be an old hard drive?

check your SATA connector

SAMSUNG XP941 512GB SSD M.2 is the only drive installed in my system

I dont think that is connected wrongly because as i explained the problem started after tremor patch of mortal kombat x on steam addressing the 8core cpu and above startup black screen bug

SAMSUNG XP941 512GB SSD M.2 is the only drive installed in my system

I dont think that is connected wrongly because as i explained the problem started after tremor patch of mortal kombat x on steam addressing the 8core cpu and above startup black screen bug

You would have to agree that it would be freaky if a software that is not added to starup, just being there... causes issues with windows starting up.

But yes I will have to agree that there is no imaginable way to install M.2 incorectly and still make the PC boot.

My only suggestion would be trying to check if you have any restore points under system restore:

If both uninstalling the suspicious MK X and doing a system restore does not help.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Hello DXMember,

Found the solution to my problem yesterday....

It ended up being a bugy keyboard driver

My only USB inputs in my system is Razer Deathstalker Ultimate keyboard that takes 2 USB  ports and I thought powering up my system without pluging it

At POST my system complained that it didnt find any keyboard but it continued to boot windows

When it sat on desktop everything was loaded correctly with no hang or freeze or whatever

Unistalled / reinstalled the keyboard driver solved the issue permanetely

Maybe Switchblade touchpad caused the bugs but who knows?

Problem solved

Thank you

Kewl