Thoughts on Macbook Pro?

Tyeee

Planning to purchase a macbook pro 13 inch. What are you guys' thoughts?

Planning to purchase a macbook pro 13 inch. What are you guys' thoughts?

well my borhter whos a doctor loves macs and apple products because theyre convinient and easy to use especially while hes on duty i used some macs in a video editing class and they work pretty well. depends what you wanna use them for.

askdjfasdf

I've had mine since 2011 and so far it hasn't given me any trouble. It also depends on what type of work you plan on doing with it. Now a lot of people on this forum will tell you to buy a PC instead because it's "better" well, if you need the Mac for college, video editing, graphic design, then go for it! The only thing you have to worry about is the price...unless you're buying a used one. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

wrong fourm. will get so much hate.

great battery life, paying for build quality. here its performance and nothing else. unless your paying thosuands on watercooling for zero perfomance gain. in that case your allowed to overspend for no reason besides looks.

double standard. LTT way. 

now thats out of the way, how big of a deal is OSX to you? battery life? performance? build quality ? what is your use case and whats important to you?

I have a "retina" one from 2013. Want to sell it. 

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

It has great battery life.

Cooling is okay.

Performance, depends, if you're talking about gaming then this isn't for you.

OS X is nice, easy to use, user friendly.

Software is limited, most of them are for windows. (Wineskin is the fix, but doesn't cover everything)

The problem in my opinion is the price.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

wrong fourm. will get so much hate.

great battery life, paying for build quality. here its performance and nothing else. unless your paying thosuands on watercooling for zero perfomance gain. in that case your allowed to overspend for no reason besides looks.

double standard. LTT way. 

now thats out of the way, how big of a deal is OSX to you? battery life? performance? build quality ? what is your use case and whats important to you?

Yea planning to use it for college + some light programming

I have a "retina" one from 2013. Want to sell it. 

How much you planning to sell for? Might be interested. 

You can look at my review of it. Best build quality I have ever seen. Shit cooling (new ones fix this somewhat). Very good displays. Good keyboard. The best trackpad on the face of the earth. Performance is all down to how you buy it.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Good but expensive for the hardware.

It has great battery life.

Cooling is okay.

Performance, depends, if you're talking about gaming then this isn't for you.

OS X is nice, easy to use, user friendly.

Software is limited, most of them are for windows. (Wineskin is the fix, but doesn't cover everything)

The problem in my opinion is the price.

What would be some cheaper options that you guys would consider?

Solid laptop. (I like OS X).  Meh keyboard. Quite expensive. Staingate may be a huge problem. 

http://www.staingate.org/

Interesting, looks like Foxconn used a bad batch of paint to glue the Glass to the screen and housing. Should be covered under warranty. 

Interesting, looks like Foxconn used a bad batch of paint to glue the Glass to the screen and housing. Should be covered under warranty. 

I've had my Retina Macbook for awhile now and have not experienced this at all. 

I've had my Retina Macbook for awhile now and have not experienced this at all. 

I suspect it would depend on when you bought your laptop. They are made in batches, one of the poor souls getting paid a few cents an hour messed up. :/

Stain gate was/is caused by a high amount of oils from you skin getting on the keyboard. When the screen closes on the keyboard the oils move to the screen and destroy the coating that makes some displays have anti-glare properties.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Macbook pros have great build quality, look great, and battery life but they suffer with thermals, can't be upgraded, and if you manage to break anything you are basically screwed. Basically it's a bit of a tradeoff with whatever is more important to you.

If you are planning on doing lighter load work and you need a thin and light computer then the Macbook Pro is a great option. Heavier workloads, however, not only make the computer thermal throttle like a beast, but the fan sounds like a miniature jet engine once it finally ramps up. That, coupled with the rather lackluster graphics performance make to unsuitable for any heavy gaming.

I would personally suggest looking at some of the options from Asus, Acer, or Lenovo, though watch out for Lenovo models from between 6 months to 2 years ago as that was the time period when Lenovo stuck absolute crap tons of bloatware on their machines, inducing the infamous SuperFish.

Computers from these manufacturers may not be as thin and light as the Macbook pro, but are usually better performers for the money and the slightly thicker options can usually be repaired and upgraded with just a Phillips head screwdriver.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Oops, double post. 

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Macs are a little overpriced but totally worth it if it fits your needs.The best thing is th3 Apple customer service

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

I have had my Macbook pro 15" since 2010.... Still works, Little slowed down now(a lot of shit on it, needs a little cleaning).... but it has been through a lot. the chargers suck tho. I have spilled beer dropped it traveled with me all around the country every year. They are solid. They can get pricey tho