Can i upgrade 32bit windows 7 to 64bit Windows 10

YT2002
Go to solution Solved by Exploded117,

Ok then, have you done it before, and how?

When the update rolls out on the 29th, you use the thing to upgrade to Windows 10, which will give you the 32bit version. Then you wait for the 64bit ISO to be released. You then download that and a key extractor. Put the ISO on an empty USB stick. Then use the key extractor to get your new windows key that was updated when you updated to windows 10 and write it down on a piece of paper or something. Then, turn off your computer. Mash whatever key it is for your motherboard to enter the boot menu. Then select to boot from your USB drive. You will then continue through the normal windows installation progress and when it asks you for your product key, enter in the one that you wrote down on your piece of paper. Boom, done.

Also, upgrading to a 64 bit OS will reformat your drives, so you will lose any games, pictures, etc. that you had on them. So, I would back them up to something.

I am revamping someones laptop by cleaning it out, putting windows 10 on it and new thermal paste. I was wondering if i upgrade from windows 7 32bit which is on the laptop to 64 bit windows 10

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I don't believe you are given that option. You'll probably have to do a clean install (not sure though) are you sure you the cpu is a 64 bit?

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I don't believe you are given that option. You'll probably have to do a clean install (not sure though) are you sure you the cpu is a 64 bit?

Its a sandy bridge i5, but the os is windows 7 32bit

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I am revamping someones laptop by cleaning it out, putting windows 10 on it and new thermal paste. I was wondering if i upgrade from windows 7 32bit which is on the laptop to 64 bit windows 10

Don't forget to follow your topics :P

As far as the little upgrader that shows up in your taskbar, no you will not be able to do it from there.

You will have to wait until Microsoft (or someone else) releases the 64 bit Windows 10 ISO, put that on a flashdrive and install it onto your PC using the code that you can get using any sort of code extractor.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Its a sandy bridge i5, but the os is windows 7 32bit

I think it will automatically upgrade to 32bit W10. You can try and do a fresh install if it turns out you can't change to 64-bit.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Don't forget to follow your topics :P

As far as the little upgrader that shows up in your taskbar, no you will not be able to do it from there.

You will have to wait until Microsoft (or someone else) releases the 64 bit Windows 10 ISO, put that on a flashdrive and install it onto your PC using the code that you can get using any sort of code extractor.

Im looking at my topic still, but what code extractor?

Im looking at my topic still, but what code extractor?

It is a program that you can install that will show you the codes that you used to activate certain products on your computer, like windows. It is likely that when you upgrade to windows 10, your code will be changed, so the one that you might have on your disk will not work.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

It is a program that you can install that will show you the codes that you used to activate certain products on your computer, like windows. It is likely that when you upgrade to windows 10, your code will be changed, so the one that you might have on your disk will not work.

Do i install it on the computer im upgrading?

Do i install it on the computer im upgrading?

Yes, you would install it on the computer you are upgrading after you upgrade to the 32bit version of Windows 10 through the thing on your taskbar.

-Ron White

Yes, you would install it on the computer you are upgrading after you upgrade to the 32bit version of Windows 10 through the thing on your taskbar.

When the update rolls out on the 29th, you use the thing to upgrade to Windows 10, which will give you the 32bit version. Then you wait for the 64bit ISO to be released. You then download that and a key extractor. Put the ISO on an empty USB stick. Then use the key extractor to get your new windows key that was updated when you updated to windows 10 and write it down on a piece of paper or something. Then, turn off your computer. Mash whatever key it is for your motherboard to enter the boot menu. Then select to boot from your USB drive. You will then continue through the normal windows installation progress and when it asks you for your product key, enter in the one that you wrote down on your piece of paper. Boom, done.

Also, upgrading to a 64 bit OS will reformat your drives, so you will lose any games, pictures, etc. that you had on them. So, I would back them up to something.

-Ron White

If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 32-bit, you'll upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit.

However the product key had never defined the version of Windows, only its editions. That means that you can either:

-> Clean install your Windows 7 with a friends Windows 7 64-bit disk for example of the same edition and license (OEM/Retail) using your OWN product key.

-> Or, upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit to get the WIn10 license, then download the Windows 10 64-bit ISO , and now you can clean install Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks alot. I will use that method