Noob Builds a Computer

Go to solution Solved by Hieb,

With an $800 budget fuck the 750 Ti and 960, you can get a 970 and an i5. Add an SSD later on.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($307.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.98 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($8.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $795.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 01:18 EDT-0400

That works too!

so im looking in to getting a new computer and since im quite new to the PC community and PC building community, i was wondering if some pros of this community could look at my computer spec and see if it's all good or wherever i can make some improvements for similar prices.

so the only thing im not sure about is the motherboard, because i wanted something inexpensive in the mean time that has a LGA 1150 CPU socket, DDR3 memory and Wifi; but the rest of the system looks good to me; but i still wanted to be sure. im also looking into replacing the motherboard altogether for some more expansion later when i have a bit more money. im also planning to get this sometime around black friday for some deals; if that's of any use to you guys.

spec:

case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011050-WW ​(i choose this because it was inexpensive, it looks nice, it looks like it has good airflow, and good build quality)

cpu: Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 CPU - BX80646I54460 (i chose this because it was the cheapest i5 i could find and i want more than 2 cores. and i didnt go with amd because i amd to be able to expand to more high performance cpus in the future without changing the motherboard)

storage: Corsair Force LS Series 240 GB 2.5-Inch SSD CSSD-F240GBLSB

gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (i chose this because it seemed like a good gpu for the price)
psu: Corsair CS Series 650 Watt ATX Modular and Efficient Power Supply CS650M
ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory CMY8GX3M2A1600C9B 
motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1150 B85 Bluetooth Wi-Fi HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B85N Phoenix-WIFI 

Looks good except for the PSU. I'd reccodmend a EVGA GS or G2 series. Even a B2 series would be good. Use PCPartPicker also as it helps us out a lot. Do you have more then just the 240gb SSD for storage? I'd also get a Samsung 850 Evo or Crucial bx100 instead of the corsair SSD.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

total budget? Also check out pcpartpicker.com

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What is your budget and what is your currency?

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

so im looking in to getting a new computer and since im quite new the PC community and PC building community, i was wondering if some pros of this community look at my computer spec and see if it is all good or where ever i can make some improvements for similar prices. so the only thing im not sure about is the motherboard, because i wanted something inexpensive that has a LGA 1150 CPU socket DDR3 memory and Wifi; but the rest of the system looks good to me; but i still wanted to be sure. im also planning to get this sometime around black friday for some deals.

spec:

case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011050-WW ​(i choose this because it was inexpensive, it looks nice, it looks like it has good airflow, and good build quality)

cpu: Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 CPU - BX80646I54460 (i chose this because it was the cheapest i5 i could find and i want more than 2 cores. and i didnt go with amd because i amd to be able to expand to more high performance cpus in the future without changing the motherboard)

storage: Corsair Force LS Series 240 GB 2.5-Inch SSD CSSD-F240GBLSB

gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (i chose this because it seemed like a good gpu for the price)
psu: Corsair CS Series 650 Watt ATX Modular and Efficient Power Supply CS650M
ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory CMY8GX3M2A1600C9B 
motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1150 B85 Bluetooth Wi-Fi HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B85N Phoenix-WIFI 

You should invest more in a better GPU like a GXT 960 or if you are on a budget get the R7 360. But other than that its pretty good.  Also get an HDD for more storage

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

sorry i did forget to mention i will expand to a better hard drive later, and getting a better GPU like a 960 but i thought id get what i need for now and then get better stuff later. its just right now i need a start up, where i can upgrade as few parts as possible. also i dont know my total budget right now sorry but i would think somewhere around $800

intel is releasing the 5th generation of desktop cpus around august

you might wanta change your list then

sorry i did forget to mention i will expand to a better hard drive later, and getting a better GPU like a 960 but i thought id get what i need for now and then get better stuff later. its just right now i need a start up, where i can upgrade as few parts as possible. also i dont know my total budget right now sorry but i would think somewhere around $800

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6tXJdC

This gpu is already on par with a 960. Has everything you wanted (including an overkill psu, but its cheap so whatever).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

dp

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

One thing that may or may not be a factor depending on your upgrade plans is that the spec 01 might not fit a hyper 212 evo. This means that if you ever plan on overclocking or making your pc quieter in general, you will have to go with a lower profile cooler. 

One thing that may or may not be a factor depending on your upgrade plans is that the spec 01 might not fit a hyper 212 evo. This means that if you ever plan on overclocking or making your pc quieter in general, you will have to go with a lower profile cooler. 

yes, but he would also have to change cpu, mobo etc. I wouldn't worry about that much. (yes silence, but there are lots of nice low profile coolers.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

yes, but he would also have to change cpu, mobo etc. I wouldn't worry about that much. (yes silence, but there are lots of nice low profile coolers.)

OP said he was looking to replace the motherboard at a later date when he had more money for expansion purposes, which potentially means new cpu also.

OP said he was looking to replace the motherboard at a later date when he had more money for expansion purposes, which potentially means new cpu also.

Not that it isn't an option, but by then it's probably going to be a new socket and DDR4 so I wouldn't worry about the cost of a new case (which to be honest isn't much compared to everything else that would need replacing.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Not that it isn't an option, but by then it's probably going to be a new socket and DDR4 so I wouldn't worry about the cost of a new case (which to be honest isn't much compared to everything else that would need replacing.)

yeah i figured, cases dont cost that much, and i dont think i will be upgrading a lot on the cpu side, but i have to say i would like lower temps overall

yeah i figured, cases dont cost that much, and i dont think i will be upgrading a lot on the cpu side, but i have to say i would like lower temps overall

a nice low profile fan will run from 20-50 dollars and you can grab it whenever you want. Just note that's what you are looking for. (Many say itx)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Which is exactly why he might NOT get a new case. He is already spending so much on a new socket and ram, why would he spend more money on a case? I don't know about you, but when I buy a case, I expect it to last at least one upgrade cycle. The only reason I see him getting a new case is to support things like usb 3.1 and type c, which could be supported via pci or 5.25inch bays. 

The i5 lineup is one of the higher performance CPUs for the mainstream market. It's capable of supporting extremely high end video cards, so it doesn't make too much sense to pair with a GeForce GTX 750 Ti unless you think you'll be upgrading to something more beefy within a year or two.

Radeon R9 280 3GB

Radeon R9 280X 3GB

Radeon R9 270X 4GB

Radeon R7 370 4GB

Radeon R9 380 4GB

GeForce GTX 960 4GB

If you save a significant amount, getting 2GB version of all those 4GB cards is fine, just note that a lot of current games and games coming out over the next few years will require more than 2GB of VRAM for higher textures. In GTA V you can just barely get away with running High or Very High textures on a 2GB card, and you need to turn down other settings to be able to do so.

As long as you're aware that the CPU you selected is capable of supporting much higher than the GTX 750 Ti and it's not what would be considered a balanced system, then it's up to you to make your decisions. There's nothing wrong with this, I've done the very same thing. I noticed that GPUs advance a lot faster than CPUs, so I'd rather invest in a kinda pricey CPU (4690K was $300 here) that will be able to last me for years and then I can just replace mid-range GPU every 2 or 3 years.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The i5 lineup is one of the higher performance CPUs for the mainstream market. It's capable of supporting extremely high end video cards, so it doesn't make too much sense to pair with a GeForce GTX 750 Ti unless you think you'll be upgrading to something more beefy within a year or two.

Radeon R9 280 3GB

Radeon R9 280X 3GB

Radeon R9 270X 4GB

Radeon R7 370 4GB

Radeon R9 380 4GB

GeForce GTX 960 4GB

If you save a significant amount, getting 2GB version of all those 4GB cards is fine, just note that a lot of current games and games coming out over the next few years will require more than 2GB of VRAM for higher textures. In GTA V you can just barely get away with running High or Very High textures on a 2GB card, and you need to turn down other settings to be able to do so.

See my pc list the op seems to like it.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Which is exactly why he might NOT get a new case. He is already spending so much on a new socket and ram, why would he spend more money on a case? I don't know about you, but when I buy a case, I expect it to last at least one upgrade cycle. The only reason I see him getting a new case is to support things like usb 3.1 and type c, which could be supported via pci or 5.25inch bays.

Sure, but if he likes the case stick with it and don't worry about needing low profile cpu fans. It's not like they aren't good enough for a bit of overclocking anyways. If he wants a different case then have at it, just that one is perfectly sufficient anyways.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

See my pc list the op seems to like it.

Yeah that's a really good part list for the money. The R9 380 is a great card. However one thing I'll point out is the SuperNova NEX lineup of PSUs have a pretty common fan problem where the fan is extremely noisy. In the reviews section for that PSU many are complaining that the unit is by far the loudest component of their system.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

good point, so i guess ill see what the future holds

With an $800 budget fuck the 750 Ti and 960, you can get a 970 and an i5. Add an SSD later on.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($307.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.98 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($8.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $795.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 01:18 EDT-0400

Yeah that's a really good part list for the money. The R9 380 is a great card. However one thing I'll point out is the SuperNova NEX lineup of PSUs have a pretty common fan problem where the fan is extremely noisy. In the reviews section for that PSU many are complaining that the unit is by far the loudest component of their system.

indeed. @OP any 450+ W psu you find good reviews for is fine. I kinda just grabbed one cause pcpp showed good reviews for it. So what Hieb says I'll take his word for it.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS