Car sound system

Statik

Hey guys,

So I'm looking into investing into a kickass sound system for my car.

I don't really know where to look, but at this point I'm interested in a new deck (I want a touch screen, decent size, etc), an amp, and a sub. I'm not opposed to speakers, but the ones I have now should be decent for the time being.

I'm probably looking for a 10" sub, and I want it to have a lower profile/box so I can put it on the side of my trunk (behind wheel well), so I can still fit my snowboard and all that good shit in my trunk.

I mainly listen to rap/hip-hop, and sometimes rock, or just the radio. I want to be able to crank it when I want to, but have clear, nice quality audio. 

Any help would be appreciated.

I looked around for sub reddits, but there doesn't seem to be any that are car related that actually get any attention.

EDIT: My car is a 2014 Lancer ES Sport Edition

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

all i can say is, get ready to solder.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I can't just wire things together? I don't have an issue with soddering, but is it necessary? I put a new deck and some 6.5"s in my old shitbox honda accord (1990) and all that required was a few back cramps, some strippers and electrical tape.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

crimp, you don't solder in cars, everything shakes and moves, unreliable  :P

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I can't just wire things together? I don't have an issue with soddering, but is it necessary? I put a new deck and some 6.5"s in my old shitbox honda accord (1990) and all that required was a few back cramps, some strippers and electrical tape.

You don't need to solder anything.. Just get a wire spare wire harness they sell them for every car.. It's two sided hook one side into your existing wire harness other into your touchscreen.. Run the wires down.. Run the power / ground through your firewall from your battery hook up your sub / amp and you're good to go. It's not as hard as people make you think and paying someone like a 100$ to do it is absurd. 

Just make sure to buy the gauge wire that you need for the wattage of your amp.. most come with kits already with them so you have everything you need.

Use Butt Connectors and a very good crimper.

I myself have an Alpine iDA-X305S with a Kenwood 1000W Class D Amp with a 3 Farad Cap powering a dual voice coil Kicker Comp VR 12" Sub in a Bandpass box.  

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

~

You can go on ebay look up vminnovations they sell amp / packages. Everything you need really. I don't really advise to put your sub on the side of your car, best to keep it center or the audio (bass) comes off a little weird. There's also little need to get door speakers and etc, especially for newer cars as you want those for treble / highs for clearer audio. You only need to do that if you're going full out. I recommend if you're listening to mostly rap just get a ported box. It doesn't make a big difference over an enclosed but it does sound different. A bandpass is a mix of ported / enclosed if you want the best of both worlds.

crimp, you don't solder in cars, everything shakes and moves, unreliable  :P

:huh:

soldering is a more stable solution. solder together, covering in electrical tape.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

This is what I always use for wiring. Crimp them and then heat shrink them. as long as you have a good crimp you are good to go. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PHFNN8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008HMHJDO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KC3FF1ASN0SN3FS72ZA

You can go on ebay look up vminnovations they sell amp / packages. Everything you need really. I don't really advise to put your sub on the side of your car, best to keep it center or the audio (bass) comes off a little weird. There's also little need to get door speakers and etc, especially for newer cars as you want those for treble / highs for clearer audio. You only need to do that if you're going full out. I recommend if you're listening to mostly rap just get a ported box. It doesn't make a big difference over an enclosed but it does sound different. A bandpass is a mix of ported / enclosed if you want the best of both worlds.

where would you recommend I buy a box from?

And where would be the best place to put a box? Like I actually put some shit in my trunk, and I'll have a snowboard in there plenty in the winter, so having it smack dab in the middle might get in the way a bunch, as well as getting it wet would be a bad situation.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

This is what I always use for wiring. Crimp them and then heat shrink them. as long as you have a good crimp you are good to go. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PHFNN8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008HMHJDO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KC3FF1ASN0SN3FS72ZA

I'm not to concerned on hooking everything up. I know how to wire shit together, and I can figure out where to run wires when the time comes, I'm more looking for the actual hardware.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

where would you recommend I buy a box from?

And where would be the best place to put a box? Like I actually put some shit in my trunk, and I'll have a snowboard in there plenty in the winter, so having it smack dab in the middle might get in the way a bunch, as well as getting it wet would be a bad situation.

vminnovations on ebay sells literally EVERYTHING you would need. They sell amp / speaker packages amp / speaker / box / wire kits etc. Just go on there and look and see what you need, usually they have everything packaged together so you don't need to search around for everything. their prices are usually pretty good aswell. I bought some stuff from them it was prolly about 6 years ago now.. It was 2 12" laznar 1600watt peak speakers with a 1600 watt amp. Stuff like that was alot more expensive back then.. I think it was like 300$

You can prolly get a nice 10 inch alpine type r or maybe a w7 + box + amp for like 200 - 300 if you search for it. the touch screen probably be another 200 - 300. I remember dumping like 1500$ into my system back in the day and now all of that is only worth like 500$ lol. Everything getting cheaper man.

I'm not to concerned on hooking everything up. I know how to wire shit together, and I can figure out where to run wires when the time comes, I'm more looking for the actual hardware.

That's a mater of personal preference. Go to a Car Audio Shop or a Big Box that carries Car Audio, bring what you like to listen to and see what you like. For me I bring a mix of all I listen to from Punk to old school Rap. The final test is always the Star Wars soundtrack. Then make a list and go order what you liked.