HUGE Windows 10 Question Answered!

MahtXL

So i was worried about getting windows 10 in one week because i knew i would be changing my motherboard out soon after, and of course we know windows 10 will bind to your "system" aka the hardware. Changing the motherboard would break this activation, would i then have to buy windows 10 just because i upgraded my motherboard? WELL we have an answer.

post-109182-0-75111800-1437583846_thumb.

If you upgrade to windows 10 then change your motherboard or other critical part that will then constitute a "new pc" you can simply reinstall your old legit copy of windows. install sp1 (if its windows 7) and do the GWX upgrade process again for your new motherboard. This can apparently be done as many times as needed until the free year is up. This is of course a last resort if windows 10 just refuses to re activate on your new motherboard, or calling in doesnt work. This is a last resort thing, that will apparently work.

Good news for those of us upgrading our systems post windows 10.

post-109182-0-75111800-1437583846_thumb.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Since I am on the Insider licensing and don't have an old copy of 8.1 or 7, do I have to call Microsoft and do the activation thing by phone? I plan on changing my motherboard soon as well.

This is the way it has been forever...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

If changed motherboard quite few times, and its just matter of activating by phone, after that usualy activates normaly via internet no problem.

It should work like that, as long as you make sure to write down your win 10 key before you swap the board, doing a clean install and inputting the key should work, of course if it doesnt and you need to call in and they say sorry cant do it. This method is a last resort to get 10 free again AS LONG AS, you do it within the 1 year period.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

This is the way it has been for ever...

We have NEVER had windows be a free upgrade from older versions and windows 10 locks your hardware id to the store, so you can fresh install on one system, changing the motherboard would break that verification, thus clarification was needed on how to get 10 back for free after a major upgrade.

We have NEVER had windows be a free upgrade from older versions and windows 10 locks your hardware id to the store, so you can fresh install on one system, changing the motherboard would break that verification, thus clarification was needed on how to get 10 back for free after a major upgrade.

You have never been legally allowed to install Windows on 2 different hardware configs without scraping the original hardware.  Now Microsoft is just enforcing it.

As far as a free upgrade, they havent done exactly this before.  This is a transition to a subscription based model "Windows as a Service" is a thing.  Its already happening in the business segment.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

You have never been legally allowed to install Windows on 2 different hardware configs without scraping the original hardware.  Now Microsoft is just enforcing it.

Thats not the problem here of course id format my hdd with 10 on it after swapping my motherboard, the issue here is exactly how "free" windows 10 is. We know changing a motherboard counts as a "new pc" where 10 is concerned, this raises the question of how to get 10 back for free after youve changed out your board, if its as simple as just installing an iso putting in your key and rolling along then thats great, A plus business as usual. The problem here lies with what kind of license you get when you upgrade, apparently its a single use OEM. Meaning a new motherboard will require you to go through the free upgrade process again, this hints that whatever key 10 used to stay activated on your old board, was lost with your old board since its directly tied to windows 10's store/ verification ID. Meaning you cant install an iso and input that key again, it would yell at you for being a different pc, regardless of your old install being fully gone. atleast thats how microsoft seems to be wording this entire process "life of the device" and they consider "the device" to be your motherboard.

Thats not the problem here of course id format my hdd with 10 on it after swapping my motherboard, the issue here is exactly how "free" windows 10 is. We know changing a motherboard counts as a "new pc" where 10 is concerned, this raises the question of how to get 10 back for free after youve changed out your board, if its as simple as just installing an iso putting in your key and rolling along then thats great, A plus business as usual. The problem here lies with what kind of license you get when you upgrade, apparently its a single use OEM. Meaning a new motherboard will require you to go through the free upgrade process again, this hints that whatever key 10 used to stay activated on your old board, was lost with your old board since its directly tied to windows 10's store/ verification ID. Meaning you cant install an iso and input that key again, it would yell at you for being a different pc, regardless of your old install being fully gone. atleast thats how microsoft seems to be wording this entire process "life of the device" and they consider "the device" to be your motherboard.

WINDOWS AS A SERVICE.  What dont people get about this?

Spoiler

WINDOWS AS A SERVICE.  What dont people get about this?

I dont get what you're talking or yelling about honestly, You keep going off topic trying to be smart. But failing.

I dont get what you're talking or yelling about honestly, You keep going off topic trying to be smart. But failing.

Windows is going to be ran as a SERVICE not a product.  Your copy of Windows is going to be JUST LIKE all their other services, like Xbox Music, Office 365, OneDrive, etc.

Please go to windows.com and look at all the stuff they have posted on Windows 10.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I'll do 90% of the work for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Spoiler

Windows is going to be ran as a SERVICE not a product.

I don't really know what your point is here either, with regards to the topic. That FAQ is just stuff we already know about Windows, it doesn't connect the dots for us.

I don't know what Microsoft means by Windows being a "service," but they obviously don't mean pricing. A new, retail Windows 10 license is going to cost the same as it did for 8.1: $119 for Home, $199 for Pro. To look at it another way, the only people who are getting it for "free" are those who have already paid for a license to an earlier version.

I don't really know what your point is here either, with regards to the topic. That FAQ is just stuff we already know about Windows, it doesn't connect the dots for us.

I don't know what Microsoft means by Windows being a "service," but they obviously don't mean pricing. A new, retail Windows 10 license is going to cost the same as it did for 8.1: $119 for Home, $199 for Pro. To look at it another way, the only people who are getting it for "free" are those who have already paid for a license to an earlier version.

Get Office 365, and then you'll see how Windows is going to work from here on out.

Right now, Windows 10, is going to be a one time fee.  Future updates will probably be on a "Apple" like with MacOS, where you pay for the original OS, then a small fee to update to the new version.  For example, I thought 10.8 cost something like $50 if you didn't have a copy of 10.7, but if you did have a copy of 10.7 it cost $20.

As far as how you use Windows, install Windows, or anything, it will all be the same.  The only difference is how they are preparing for a subscription based model.  It might even be a free subscription.  I got a feeling, that in a year, the way they are going to be doing Windows will change.  That's the only reason that Windows 8.1 and 7 users will have a year to upgrade.

Spoiler