Apple G4 Case mod *Name Pending*

MiauwMaster

I have an old Apple G4 Blue/White just laying around and I have been wanting to do something with that system. Because the hardware is just completely out of date and it doesn't have any features i like very much I decided to mod it and build a pc in it. Today I started with tearing down the system and deciding how far I want to go as this is my fist experience with modding.

My plan is to fit an mATX motherboard in here and go with and AMD APU, since I am on a very tight budget and this isn't my main rig, although it might be if it turns out killer. I will be trying to build as cheap as possible with the idea of upgrading gradually.

This here is the 'victim':

post-234260-0-39138000-1437572053_thumb.

I do like the current colour scheme but as this case has been misused a bit by the last owner (I got it for free, awesome) I am seriously considering painting the entire case black/white or going extreme over the top lime green/black or something crazy like that. 

Here it is sporting it's sexy internals and massive passive heatsink:

post-234260-0-01240500-1437572083_thumb.

So, even though it all looks quite nice and old school, I started removing all the parts until I had a completely blank case. It is a fairly easy process,. Only the plastic plate on the IO and expansion slots were a bit harder, requiring a few clips to be pushed/pulled simultaneously. (I have also removed the plastic piece on the inside of the door, just not yet on this picture).

post-234260-0-94161300-1437572103_thumb.

I think I will be removing the metal plate that runs through the case as a support for the PSU and fabricating some mounting mechanism myself and I will definitely remove the little bracket on the front part of the door as that has no use whatsoever.

I will do my best to update regularly and take pictures all the way through the process.

I would love to hear your ideas about this project and if you have any suggestions throughout this mod, all suggestions are welcome since I am completely new to this. 

I'm still trying to figure out a name for this build but I assume one will present itself during the build.

post-234260-0-39138000-1437572053_thumb.

post-234260-0-01240500-1437572083_thumb.

post-234260-0-94161300-1437572103_thumb.

yes do green and black just do it :D a green backlit apple logo and a mat black case 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I was thinking of going mostly black, the apple logo's on the site lime green, the front logo backlit and green LED's on the inside that switch on and off when the case is opened or shut.

The look of the case is pretty outdated as well, but if you want to restore the clear plastic use some T-cut. Don't forget to make some holes for cable management. The main problem will old cases is airflow...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

That's quite a good suggestion and I will look into that, just worried the plastic on the inside of the door won't fit anymore and without it, the case will not close.

@multifrag That's why I was thinking of going with black/green. Although it would be funny to bring a scratched up old ass apple to a LAN party and see the look on people's faces

That's quite a good suggestion and I will look into that, just worried the plastic on the inside of the door won't fit anymore and without it, the case will not close.

also just a general tip, learn how to use the quote button, otherewise the person your responding to will probably not get a notification and if your replyng to an older post noone will have a clue what your talking about if you dont quote the post your responding to :) just a tip to make forum life easyer

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

also just a general tip, learn how to use the quote button, otherewise the person your responding to will probably not get a notification and if your replyng to an older post noone will have a clue what your talking about if you dont quote the post your responding to :) just a tip to make forum life easyer

Thank you very much, that is a very good idea. Quite new here on the forum and on forums in general.

Thank you very much, that is a very good idea. Quite new here on the forum and on forums in general.

always happy to help :)

Builds:

Spoiler

i think a good name would be gray delicious instead of red delicious, the apple

I put the ass in assume

Has anything happened yet with this build?

Builds:

Spoiler

this could be awesome good luck with build!

Returning after 8 years dormant