Basic Networking

Hello, so I'm trying to learn basic networking skills for possible future jobs. I was wondering how you guys picked up your skills? 

Just messing about with modems, routers, access points, etc. I don't have any "training" so to speak, but I can install and configure wireless networks, which is one of the most basic skills to have if you want to get into networking. Honestly just try things out and you'll learn alot.

Work

Interesting point. For work you need experience and for experience you need work ;) Doesnt really work out too well

Like I said, OP, I recommend learning through practice.

Interesting point. For work you need experience and for experience you need work ;) Doesnt really work out too well

Like I said, OP, I recommend learning through practice.

Well I do have access to the network at work, it's a really basic small office. The issue is that I'm not even aware of the possibilities. I don't know what options are there to even try!

Well I do have access to the network at work, it's a really basic small office. The issue is that I'm not even aware of the possibilities. I don't know what options are there to even try!

I wouldn't experiment on a office network ;)

You could just buy a cheapo wireless router and try and set that up at home. Just login the the configuration page (usually 192.168.0.1 or similar) and play with all of the options.

Ask my dad  :P

He helped set up the fastest internet connection in the world (8tb/s) and he is currently wiring up the SKA.

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

Depends on what kind of skills you want to learn. Also I second  the guy that said don't experiment on the office network. That can only end in disaster.

If you just want to be able to setup very small home/office networks watch youtube videos explaining the different gear (What is a router? What is a switch? What is a Wireless Access Point?). You don't really need to understand the fundamentals of routing/switching logic to get something like that setup.

If you're just doing general IT and want to learn how routers/switches actually work and make decisions on what to do with packets pick up the Comp TIA Network + book and give it a read.

If you want to actually get into enterprise level networking pick up Cisco Packet Tracer and some training videos (CBT Nuggets are easy to get into). Even better pick up a Cisco Certification like a CCENT or CCNA.

Hello, so I'm trying to learn basic networking skills for possible future jobs. I was wondering how you guys picked up your skills? 

I would hesitate to use the word "skills".

But I learnt about networking at my local college.  As I was long term unemployed (carer) I enlisted as an adult returner and did the  ECDL and ECDL advanced, an SQA in web design, also did my A+ this sort of gave me the bug so I enrolled on an HND Networking course. This HND course was two and a half days a week over six terms (two years).  So formal training but older than most (one of the guys in my HND class had studied computing at school with my eldest son), but as I didn't have a lot of the distractions of a 18~20 year old (first proper girlfriend, newly aquired license to drink, finding first house/digs/flat/WHY etc) did quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_National_Diploma

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I would suggest the Cisco Learning Network or CBTNuggets if you are looking for paid services. I personally have learned a LOT from these two resources.

Pickledpie45,

There are tons of certifications, starting with Network+ is a good basic foundation (A+ for computer repair). Lynda.com, CBT Nuggets are good paid for learning methods. A new one is cybrary.com which has free courses. Reading however is cheaper and will contain more in depth information then you will absorb from videos. Common industry certs are CCNA and MCSE which both have Network+ foundations in them but more specialized (Cisco Networking and MS Server Admin respectively).

Hope this helps.

Overall anything provided by CompTia to going to be extremely helpful and we'll recognised. If you are looking for a job in IT, one of these certifications will certainly come in handy.

Overall anything provided by CompTia to going to be extremely helpful and we'll recognised. If you are looking for a job in IT, one of these certifications will certainly come in handy.

Yeah?  The A+ and Net+ are well recognised but I would hazard that as everyone and his brother (< slight hyperbole there)has these they are just about useless for getting a job.

The A+ will help you getting a saturday job at a repair shop but beyond that...

The A+ and Net+ may well be specified as a number of CVs/resumes filter but beyond showing an interest in the field they are very much entry level stuff.

However if you get the chance to sit A+ or Net + at minimum cost (or even as in my case free) go for it, just do not have very high expectations of it.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Also I forgot to mention in my previous post to check out elithecomputerguy on youtube. He has free videos that present very detailed/complex information in extremely easy to understand terms.

Also I forgot to mention in my previous post to check out elithecomputerguy on youtube. He has free videos that present very detailed/complex information in extremely easy to understand terms.

+1 on this. He gives great advice!

I started playing at home and buying used equipment. I then got the A+ and N+ and furthered my knowledge. I then was hired as an entry level NOC employee and furthered my skills. Learning more and expanding my home lab. Once I learned enough and got an Engineer job, I had access to my employers LAB and that made things easier. Now I am working on CCNP. I have used various CBT and online learning courses even Youtube videos. All of them have been good in differing ways. But in my humble opinion nothing beats hands on playing and breaking things. It takes time and effort but it pays off.

Yeah?  The A+ and Net+ are well recognised but I would hazard that as everyone and his brother (< slight hyperbole there)has these they are just about useless for getting a job.

The A+ will help you getting a saturday job at a repair shop but beyond that...

The A+ and Net+ may well be specified as a number of CVs/resumes filter but beyond showing an interest in the field they are very much entry level stuff.

However if you get the chance to sit A+ or Net + at minimum cost (or even as in my case free) go for it, just do not have very high expectations of it.

I would have to agree with this. CompTIA certs are what I like to call proof of competency. They prove you know enough about a technology to be able to use it effectively and that's about it.

One year ago I was a salesmen in a retail electroncis store.  Now I am a lead network datacenter engineer for a major player in the health insurance/hospital field.  My advice: learn the basics (routing and switching), skip A+ and Network+ certs.  Learn to love Cisco.  If you want to be invaluable, learn Datacenter technology.  So many major companies are looking for datacenter engineers.  Trust me, datacenter networking is a lot different then normal networking.  KNOW YOUR SWITCHING.  Cisco is the largest player in the enterprise network bussiness.  If you can, do what I did.  Find a company that will hire you if you can pass a training program.  I did 3 months unpaid training, passed their test and now they send me out on contracts.