Can pygame be used to make serious games?

I've seen a lot of games but most of them are lame stuff like snake pong and what not. There are a few exceptions, but I haven't seen many. I want to seriously give game design a shot and have started a project. Is it worth continuing or is there some limitation that stops games from being made?

Try Unity - it's free

Try Unreal Engine - it just went free for academia

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Try Unity - it's free

Try Unreal Engine - it just went free for academia <---- NOPE

It's free for everyone

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

It's free for everyone

Try Unity - it's free

Try Unreal Engine - it just went free for academia

So just scrap my pygame one and try unreal or unity? EDIT I know you can use boo in unity but can you use python in unreal?

So just scrap my pygame one and try unreal or unity? EDIT I know you can use boo in unity but can you use python in unreal?

I don't know... But it's kinda nice that the free Version of Unity 5 has all functions, mostly to compete with unreal since they set UE4 for free

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I don't know... But it's kinda nice that the free Version of Unity 5 has all functions, mostly to compete with unreal since they set UE4 for free

I'm pretty sure you still have to pay royalty fees if you intend to publish or sell your product for money...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

I'm pretty sure you still have to pay royalty fees if you intend to publish or sell your product for money...

I want my game to be free and open source.

Well that depends on what your intentions are and what is your end goal...

From what I see it would be pretty dificult to create any visually stunning 3D game in pygame...

Well that depends on what your intentions are and what is your end goal...

From what I see it would be pretty dificult to create any visually stunning 3D game in pygame...

I should have said this earlier but I was aiming for 2d. I would like something where I could play with friends as well.

I want my game to be free and open source.

Then go with Unity they are completely free.

They will only charge you if you want to license source code of Unity itself ar require 24/7 dedicated support team.

Might want to look up EULA for Unreal Engine they recently made some changes to how they charge developers with their newly released version.

I am positive they are free for educational purposes and academic members now but I'm still pretty sure they will charge you for publishing....

yea, 5% though

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

I should have said this earlier but I was aiming for 2d. I would like something where I could play with friends as well.

Well.. then explore what are your limits in current engine if you find it unstatisfactory then you might want to consider moving on to one of the "big" engines.

Are there any specific technical dificulties you face at the time?

Well.. then explore what are your limits in current engine if you find it unstatisfactory then you might want to consider moving on to one of the "big" engines.

Are there any specific technical dificulties you face at the time?

https://github.com/WhitePhoenix0/python_game

Well not really. I'm not far at all. Just got some keyhandling and a window and fps counter.

I tried Pygame once, it was terrible.
I tried Unity recently and have been loving it ever since.

I'd suggest unity, no idea about UE.

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!