Best RGB mechanical gaming keyboard

Hi,

I was about to buy the corsair K70 rgb from ncix today, but I found out that it has only 512 colors (or 16.8 million with bad flickering problem). When spending $200+ on a keyboard this is unacceptable. I really liked the level of customization on the K70 and thought for sure it was the best keyboard, but now I need recommendations for a new mechanical gaming keyboard.

Needs:

-Genuine cherry mx switches

-Full 16.8 million rgb with smooth transitions

-Huge amount of customization: per key lighting, animations, etc. on par with corsair

Want but not dealbreaker:

-Usb passthrough

-Standard size bottom row

-Wrist rest

Let me know which keyboard is the best!

Black Widow Chroma seems to be the one people wet their pants around.

I honestly prefer membrane keyboards (even for gaming) and thus never buy mechanical so not sure what's the best. A colleague of mine has 2 Razer black widows - 1 chroma and 1 not so I guess they are good if he was willing to dump 250 eu on them.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

To be fair they fixed the million color problem

Q9Q0CAN.png

I wouldn't go Razer either way, too cheap of a build quality.

I have a K70 RGB and do not regret.

Black Widow Chroma seems to be the one people wet their pants around.

I honestly prefer membrane keyboards (even for gaming) and thus never buy mechanical so not sure what's the best. A colleague of mine has 2 Razer black widows - 1 chroma and 1 not so I guess they are good if he was willing to dump 250 eu on them.

the issue with that though is the chroma and the ultimate dont use cherry mx switches, they use custom ones razer made themselves (and honestly, I love their green switches so I dont care if they're cherry mx)

Hi,

I was about to buy the corsair K70 rgb from ncix today, but I found out that it has only 512 colors (or 16.8 million with bad flickering problem). When spending $200+ on a keyboard this is unacceptable. I really liked the level of customization on the K70 and thought for sure it was the best keyboard, but now I need recommendations for a new mechanical gaming keyboard.

Needs:

-Genuine cherry mx switches

-Full 16.8 million rgb with smooth transitions

-Huge amount of customization: per key lighting, animations, etc. on par with corsair

Want but not dealbreaker:

-Usb passthrough

-Standard size bottom row

-Wrist rest

Let me know which keyboard is the best!

They already fixed the problem

The K70 or K95 are the ones that match your description so you don't really have a choice besides go for Razer

Please follow your own topics for updates and notifications 

To be fair they fixed the million color problem

Q9Q0CAN.png

I wouldn't go Razer either way, too cheap of a build quality.

I have a K70 RGB and do not regret.

I know they added 16.8m color mode, and I would go ahead and get the keyboard if it didn't flicker in the 16.8m mode.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140249&page=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coaehz9a2DE

I know, but you don't notice the flickering under the normal keys. (At least, I don't)

If you look on the forum there are a ton of people complaining about it. If they fix the flicker I'd get it but I doubt they will. I thought corsair was a good company but now...

If you look on the forum there are a ton of people complaining about it. If they fix the flicker I'd get it but I doubt they will. I thought corsair was a good company but now...

They still are a good company.... Lol.

If not for them experimenting in this area then the hype about these keyboards would be much less.

They aren't omnipotent, they are the first to implement rgb in mechanical keyboards, to lose faith in them is to be afraid of advancement at the cost of failure. You NEED failures to learn.

Besides, you're talking about flickering lights being the thing that changes your opinion about a company that is very good? Eh...

They still are a good company.... Lol.

If not for them experimenting in this area then the hype about these keyboards would be much less.

They aren't omnipotent, they are the first to implement rgb in mechanical keyboards, to lose faith in them is to be afraid of advancement at the cost of failure. You NEED failures to learn.

Besides, you're talking about flickering lights being the thing that changes your opinion about a company that is very good? Eh...

The way they avoided letting the truth out. They knew their keyboard could only do 512 colors properly and marketed it as "16.8 million" It's a flat out lie.

The way they avoided letting the truth out. They knew their keyboard could only do 512 colors properly and marketed it as "16.8 million" It's a flat out lie.

They since changed the marketing for it anyway.

The lie... Most people didn't even notice.

Also all companies lie, Nvidia and the GTX 970 vram? Batman Arkham game?

It's nothing new.

They since changed the marketing for it anyway.

The lie... Most people didn't even notice.

Also all companies lie, Nvidia and the GTX 970 vram? Batman Arkham game?

It's nothing new.

Months after it was revealed. I already bought a gtx 970 I'm tired of false advertising xD

Months after it was revealed. I already bought a gtx 970 I'm tired of false advertising xD

So... What's the problem, you knew about the GTX 970 and bought it anyway :P

Seems unfair to rule Corsair out

So... What's the problem, you knew about the GTX 970 and bought it anyway :P

Seems unfair to rule Corsair out

I bought the 970 before the 3.5GB problem was found.. I was not happy when it was found out.

If gigabyte replaced my 970 with a 980 like I asked (980 meets advertised specs of 970) I would have been alright with it. Even just a refund, but nope stuck with the shitty card.

I bought the 970 before the 3.5GB problem was found.. I was not happy when it was found out.

If gigabyte replaced my 970 with a 980 like I asked (980 meets advertised specs of 970) I would have been alright with it. Even just a refund, but nope stuck with the shitty card.

Ho baby, the 970 shitty?

It's a very good card

Have you seen the Logitech G910 Orion Spark?  Mechanical switches designed by logitech and omron, led back lighting with arguably the best illumination per key (no light bleeding from under and around the keys), media keys with scroll wheel volume, 9 macro keys with three profiles (27 total programmable macro keys), and it's advertised as the world's fastest gaming keyboard.

The switches are sublime, they register right at the top of the key press so it's really responsive.  They are extremely quiet for a mechanical, it's actually quieter than my membrane keyboard.  I have noticed a difference when gaming too, I don't die as easy while playing bf4.

Definitely worth a look imo, impressed the hell out of me.

Have you seen the Logitech G910 Orion Spark?  Mechanical switches designed by logitech and omron, led back lighting with arguably the best illumination per key (no light bleeding from under and around the keys), media keys with scroll wheel volume, 9 macro keys with three profiles (27 total programmable macro keys), and it's advertised as the world's fastest gaming keyboard.

The switches are sublime, they register right at the top of the key press so it's really responsive.  They are extremely quiet for a mechanical, it's actually quieter than my membrane keyboard.  I have noticed a difference when gaming too, I don't die as easy while playing bf4.

Definitely worth a look imo, impressed the hell out of me.

Those awful keycaps though. I used on in the store, and i couldn't type on the damn thing.

Actually all LEDs that can be dimmed flicker on a camera. That Youtube vid isn't relevant.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Actually all LEDs that can be dimmed flicker on a camera. That Youtube vid isn't relevant.

the fact remains it isnt perfect and more complicated animated patterns it will have anomalies. 

That being said im perfectly happy with my k70rgb

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

If you're willing to wait, Ducky will be releasing a RGB keyboard sometime in August according to their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=877858075622621&id=117547488320354

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Those awful keycaps though. I used on in the store, and i couldn't type on the damn thing.

It takes more than five minutes at a store to get used to them, trust me.  I think if you used it for a week or two you wouldn't think they're so bad,  I got used to them after a day or two and find them very comfortable.  I think this opinion has been completely blown out of proportion.  I was a little worried when I first got mine, but they are way more understated than everyone thinks