PSU above carpet - Solution

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Go buy a piece of plywood and cut it just big enough to fit under your tower. Cheap and easy.

Having your PSU fan side in is a no-no. Your fan intakes hot air from the GPUs doing that and when the GPU fans come on they'll be fighting eachother for air. Just get a plank of plywood or something and put it underneath the PC.

You don't want to suffocate your PSU airflow so I would move it to a desk or put something flat under the PC that it can rest on for cleareance

I have a plank of wood under my case, as the case holder i used to own before couldn't fit my 750D.

HIR1KTd.jpg

Thanks

I have about 1cm of clearance from the PSU - Carpet.

Would it be better to switch the PSU upside or move the PC onto my tempered glass, up or down?

If you have a filter-it will be fine.

Unless it catches on fire...

LOL JK

Would it be better to switch the PSU upside or move the PC onto my tempered glass, up or down?

I'd suggest moving the PC up onto your desk for even better protection from dust, though if you don't feel safe with it up there or prefer it down on the ground just flip the PSU over so it sucks air in from within the case.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I had a plank of wood the exact footprint of my old tower for it to stand on, and it was okay.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

I have a plank of wood under my case, as the case holder i used to own before couldn't fit my 750D.

HIR1KTd.jpg

You don't want to suffocate your PSU airflow so I would move it to a desk or put something flat under the PC that it can rest on for cleareance

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I'd just flip it over.

I did it and I don't even have a carpet. I did it because there's no PSU air filter and my old Coolmax died after years of service from being clogged with so much dust and dog hair that it overheated and died.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Having your PSU fan side in is a no-no. Your fan intakes hot air from the GPUs doing that and when the GPU fans come on they'll be fighting eachother for air. Just get a plank of plywood or something and put it underneath the PC.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Go buy a piece of plywood and cut it just big enough to fit under your tower. Cheap and easy.

It's not the end of the world to have the pus fan-side-up. Pc's have had it that way for many years. Cases with psu intakes are a relatively recent thing.

It's not the end of the world to have the pus fan-side-up. Pc's have had it that way for many years. Cases with psu intakes are a relatively recent thing.

It's really hard on the capacitors to have that much heat around them. Unless you've watercooled your system then facing your fan side up is a bad idea. Even then you don't get dust filtration...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

there is no reason that the fan up is any more detrimental to the PSU than using

the external air supply. it doesn't shorten the life as the components already create

more heat than the internals of a PC case. hence the 50° baking test. the PSU is

actually in a thermal environment of 50° to see the effects of the internals.

HIR1KTd.jpg

Thanks

It's really hard on the capacitors to have that much heat around them. Unless you've watercooled your system then facing your fan side up is a bad idea. Even then you don't get dust filtration...

No argument that more heat isn't good for the caps. But I think that the difference in fan down or up isn't enough to worry about. Of course, if your case allows for direct intake for the psu, and you don't have the PC on carpet, make it fan side down. But if you are on carpet, fan side up won't end the universe.