Do you REALLY need to upgrade?

Seeing all the hype for Skylake and Zen is very cool to see and I'm very glad to see what Intel and even AMD has to offer :) The thing is that I have a question to some people... Do you really need to upgrade? and if so what is your reason?

I don't want this to seem rantish but from what I have seen some people are going to be upgrading from Haswell to Skylake and IMO I can't see why this makes since unless for these reasons:

• Want to be on board with the latest and greatest. (New features, ect)
  • Need the benefits of DDR4.
  • Will be selling your Z97/Z87 components to upgrade. 

I don't know to be honest but thought I would get others thoughts especially people who are in this situation.

Thanks!  :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Some of my games are CPU bottlenecked hardcore. Skylake also means 20 PCIE lanes. I'll grab a SiliconLottery chip to replace my degraded Haswell chip from thousands of hours of chess.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

No reason whatsoever.

My i5 handles everything fine. My GPU handles everything fine too (1080p gaming).

So until one of the components die or is no longer capable of playing the latest and greatest at decent framerates on high/medium, I'm not upgrading.

However, people playing at 4k, I completely understand upgrading constantly. :)

Lol these people talkin about selling their Z97 boards and chips for Skylake, heck Id probably sell my 4690K for a 2700k and high end P68 board

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Lol these people talkin about selling their Z97 boards and chips for Skylake, heck Id probably sell my 4690K for a 2700k and high end P68 board

I would sell my Z97 system (If I had one  :wacko:) and go all out on a 1366 system  :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I'll probably be upgrading, not because I need it, but because having the newest hardware is nice & newer hardware benefits greatly whilst competing on hwbot.org

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

P68?

Im upgrading because im sick of searching for good z68/77/p67 boards.. And i wont buy an overprized 400€ second Hand faulty OC board. Its easier to upgrade and get all The cool new features, warranty and stuff

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

My Ivy Bridge i7 3770K still works fine and if I need a but more from it a small overclock would be fine. Still if I did come buy some money to get a Skylake CPU I would be over the moon.

Your saying what I put here will be under my posts?

PC:Rosabell

P68?

Im upgrading because im sick of searching for good z68/77/p67 boards.. And i wont buy an overprized 400€ second Hand faulty OC board. Its easier to upgrade and get all The cool new features, warranty and stuff

I probs my P67, Im not too fond of all the older stuff :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Seems like i will upgrade from AMD FX to Skylake, i would like to wait for Zen, but i cant trust the hype anymore, but i do hope Zen will kick sum ass and AMD will be back in business.