i7 4770 Overheating, Help!

Go to solution Solved by Samdb,

Haswell is notorious for having a cheap TIM between the die and the IHS. This causes most CPU's to heat more than previous generations of processors, and it seems you have one of these CPU's. Unfortunately you cannot get an RMA on your CPU, however buying an aftermarket cooler such as the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo would be a great addition and really help in lowering your temperatures.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/RallySquad

Hi, I have no I idea why my CPU is overheating so much. At idle the temps are around 35C-40C degrees. I bought the PC to render with 3dsMax and when I start to render the temps get crazy at 95C-100C degrees. I even just bought a new thermal paste (Arctic Cooling Arctic Silver 5) and it is still the same. I am using the stock cooler but there's no way it could get to this temperature. What could be the problem? I have other render machines and none get nowhere near these temps. Thanks

Have you made sure that the cooler is attached properly? Sometimes one of the pins doesn't get insterted (pushed all the way through) properly and causes the cooler to not make contact with the entire surface of the cpu.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

Make sure your case airflow isn't obstructed and clean out fans and dust filters.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

How much thermal paste did you apply? You only need as much as the size of a grain of rice. 

Also as said above the chip might be big loser of the silicone lottery. If the chip throttles itself, I think you can RMA it.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I have not overclocked it, and i am not planning to do so. I am using the stock heatsink. The fans are all clean. I've mounted the fan like every other build I have built..

I applied a drop in the middle of the CPU and put the heatsink on top so it would spread.

I have not overclocked it, and i am not planning to do so. I am using the stock heatsink. The fans are all clean. I've mounted the fan like every other build I have built..

I'd make sure that all the pins have been pushed through all the way...I've had a couple of friends now who had the same problem as you and it turned out to be one of the pins not being pushed through.

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

I'd make sure that all the pins have been pushed through all the way...I've had a couple of friends now who had the same problem as you and it turned out to be one of the pins not being pushed through.

To install it you just push down and turn to the right until it fits in place right? I don't think im doing it wrong. How could I really know if its installed correctly? When I try pulling from the fan I can't move it since it's stuck in place. Thanks

Buy a better cooler ...

edit: or try turning of Turbo Boost while rendering.

Turn turbo boost off in the bios?

xigmatek_gaia_sd1283.jpg

Turn turbo boost off in the bios?

I wouldn't turn Turbo Boost off...the standard cooler should provide adequate cooling for the cpu at stock settings..

I wouldn't turn Turbo Boost off...the standard cooler should provide adequate cooling for the cpu at stock settings..

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why turn off a feature that should work out of the box without me touching anything..  and having to spend another 30-40 euros in a cooler is not what I want to do right now.

might be that the temp in the case are to high. The CPU are going too run hot if the stock cooler is trying to cool it self with already 40 or 50 C hot air.

What temp do you have in the case?

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

might be that the temp in the case are to high. The CPU are going too run hot if the stock cooler is trying to cool it self with already 40 or 50 C hot air.

What temp do you have in the case?

I have no idea what temps are in the case, but it should be the same as my other 3 PCs that are in the same room.

Haswell is notorious for having a cheap TIM between the die and the IHS. This causes most CPU's to heat more than previous generations of processors, and it seems you have one of these CPU's. Unfortunately you cannot get an RMA on your CPU, however buying an aftermarket cooler such as the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo would be a great addition and really help in lowering your temperatures.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/RallySquad

To install it you just push down and turn to the right until it fits in place right? I don't think im doing it wrong. How could I really know if its installed correctly? When I try pulling from the fan I can't move it since it's stuck in place. Thanks

Erhmm....you shouldn't turn them to the right, that's for removal...only push down!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why turn off a feature that should work out of the box without me touching anything..  and having to spend another 30-40 euros in a cooler is not what I want to do right now.

i5/i7 and their stock coolers were never designed to be "render b**ches" though ...

3 options

1) you sell/give back/rma your CPU

2) you buy a better cooler

3) you turn your cpu down.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I have no idea what temps are in the case, but it should be the same as my other 3 PCs that are in the same room.

There are temp sensors on the motherboard. You just need run any program that can read those temp.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

manually input your cpu Vcore voltage- 1.150V

set your cpu vcore mode to "manual"

my best guess is your program is actually overvolting the cpu.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Sounds like you got a crappy CPU chip. It should not being going to 100c when you did no overclocks  :wacko:. I would return in it if i could because that is an awful chip, and you shouldn't have to pay that much money for a bad chip. The other options are down clocking the CPU or buying a decent CPU cooler.  

i5/i7 and their stock coolers were never designed to be "render b**ches" though ...

3 options

1) you sell/give back/rma your CPU

2) you buy a better cooler

3) you turn your cpu down.

I guess i don't know crap about rendering because i never rendered anything.  :D I assumed stock fans are for stock clocks and that the fan would handle whatever tasks you were doing as long as it was at stock clocks. Maybe they should throw in a better fan  :P