Headphone Help

calebp123

Ok so I could really use some help deciding on some headphones as I don't know to much about audio. I want these headphones for mainly gaming but I would also like to be able to listen to music with them. I don't listen to really bassy music but I would like them to have ok bass. My budget is $200. Thanks.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, Probably the best headphones I bought. You can find them on sale for around your budget.

M50s or M30s from Audio-Technica are a good choice.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

At this point no, but will be planning on getting one soon after the headphone purchase depending on what I decide. 

Then Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, DT770 Pro's or 990 PRos

You can also look athe the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

If you want a build in mic I'd say SteelSeries 7H, but I recommend getting a pair of headphones and a standalone mic

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

if its for gaming and more importantly for positional audio then I'd disregard most of the closed headphones. I'd go for the beyerdynamic 880, 990 or the audio technica ad series 

I don't know about you but I won the ATH-M50 and it's a great piece of device. However, the leather does go bad after a while and since they are closed headphones and make a complete seal, my ears tend to sweat ... If I wear it on a sunny day outside, it gets quite uncomfortable after long periods of time. 

So if you do decide on getting a pair of any headphones, keep in mind if you want an open or closed headphone.

And don't get me wrong, I still would recommend the ATH-M50 to anyone. Also, the M50 are actually flat headphone thus it might not be "bassy" enough for you. Beyerdynamic headphones have a bit more bass into them compared to the Audio Technicas. I know that DT770 Pro is not a flat headphone and I think that Custom One is also not flat (need to double check on this one).

if its for gaming and more importantly for positional audio then I'd disregard most of the closed headphones. I'd go for the beyerdynamic 880, 990 or the audio technica ad series 

I'm looking at the 990 and whats the difference between the 250 ohm and the 250 ohm pro? I mean I would think the pro would be more expensive but on amazon its like $150 cheaper.

I'm looking at the 990 and whats the difference between the 250 ohm and the 250 ohm pro? I mean I would think the pro would be more expensive but on amazon its like $150 cheaper.

can you link? could be a typo cause there's no such thing as ohm pro .. at least in the electrical world

250 ohm: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00193FT26

250 ohm pro: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00193FT26

can you link? could be a typo cause there's no such thing as ohm pro .. at least in the electrical world

it seems like the cheaper one is more bassy than the more expensive one

They are closed headphones if I'm not mistaken, aren't they? Also how the mids for this pair?

for me and my tastes the mids on the 770 is on the edge of being vague. its not muddy or gone in any sense but just on the edge. 

soundstage is acceptable. I've been using the 770 with the razer sound thing and have been doing ok but I prefer open headphones if I want to get serious about killing people in fps games. since the performance of the 770 80 ohm is really great with the onboard realtek I've just left that plugged in permamently there. 

basically acceptable and not outstanding for fps games. very pleasurable experience with music and movies however. 

for me and my tastes the mids on the 770 is on the edge of being vague. its not muddy or gone in any sense but just on the edge. 

soundstage is acceptable. I've been using the 770 with the razer sound thing and have been doing ok but I prefer open headphones if I want to get serious about killing people in fps games. since the performance of the 770 80 ohm is really great with the onboard realtek I've just left that plugged in permamently there. 

basically acceptable and not outstanding for fps games. very pleasurable experience with music and movies however. 

As of now I'm really leaning towards the ad700x but I'm still not 100% sure.

They are closed headphones if I'm not mistaken, aren't they? Also how the mids for this pair?

my friend have these pair and he seems to like it. They are indeed closed heaphones

As of now I'm really leaning towards the ad700x but I'm still not 100% sure.

what are you not sure about?

my friend have these pair and he seems to like it. They are indeed closed heaphones

what are you not sure about?

I'm not sure about them with music because of how little bass the seem to provide, but on the other hand they seem to be perfect for gaming.

I'm not sure about them with music because of how little bass the seem to provide, but on the other hand they seem to be perfect for gaming.

if it comes to this point, see if you can go to a music store and try them on. 

that's what I did before I bought my pair of headphones and the guy at the store also gave some professional feedback (which one is the more popular and such)

If you're wondering I went to Cosmo music, not sure if they have a store at your location.

if it comes to this point, see if you can go to a music store and try them on. 

that's what I did before I bought my pair of headphones and the guy at the store also gave some professional feedback (which one is the more popular and such)

If you're wondering I went to Cosmo music, not sure if they have a store at your location.

Awesome, thanks for all the help  :)

I've owned two pairs of Audio Technica ATH-M50(s) and I currently use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 ohm with an Asus Xonar Essence STX (unixonar drivers).

ATH-M50's were ok for on the go and on-board audio. I absolutely HATE the leather used on them; I will never wear them again for the rest of my life.

The DT 770's fit my head a lot better and are easily 100% more comfortable. The velour (similar to velvet) material used is also much higher quality and doesn't make my ears sweat in seconds.

Price wise the ATH-M50's go for about $120 on amazon and the DT 770's go for about $180. I wish I had just bought the DT 770's the first or even second time before I bought my sound card.