Win 8.1 desktop won't turn on normally...?

Circs

Hi folks, built myself a computer using *mostly* new parts and it's working *mostly* great. The problem is that after I shut it down it doesn't want to start back up.

Here's the sequence of events:

1. Shutdown computer because I'm away for a while

2. Come back and press power button

3. Computer doesn't turn on

4. Toggle switch on power strip

5. Press power button

6. Computer turns on like nothing was ever wrong

The fun part is that it doesn't seem to be the PSU as when put in a different system no issues occur... and for additional hilarity if I shut it down and then turn it back on within a short time frame the issue doesn't *seem* to happen then.

System with the issue: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d2BQsY

(i5-4670k - ASUS Z97-A - 16GB DDR3 - R9 290X - Corsair HX750 - Define R5)

The PSU was utilized in a previous build with zero trouble for several months and also put back in to test: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8jLWvK

(Phenom II x4 955 @ 4.2GHz - - 12GB DDR3 - HD 7870XT - Same Corsair HX750 - Antec 300 v1)

The PSU has not been subjected to any temperature extremes. I don't use hibernation or any fancy power features (knowingly at least) and I *am* using the ASUS Ai3 suite somewhat since it seems fairly decent.

Any thoughts?

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

hmm, I'm guessing you overclocked, try loading your default bios and see if it fixes it.

hmm, I'm guessing you overclocked, try loading your default bios and see if it fixes it.

Backed off to stock and reloaded defaults already, but no joy to be had.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

probably a software related problem

When you turn the PSU switch off you turn your PC COMPLETELY OFF, so every OS remaining configuration gets "forgotten", check if windows is not putting your PC to "sleep" or in "fast startup" mode, this could somehow cause problems.

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

probably a software related problem

When you turn the PSU switch off you turn your PC COMPLETELY OFF, so every OS remaining configuration gets "forgotten", check if windows is not putting your PC to "sleep" or in "fast startup" mode, this could somehow cause problems.

I'll have to hunt again as for some reason the "Fast Startup" option wasn't visible even when I clicked the "show currently unavailable settings" dialog. I suspected it might be the case, but was left a bit stymied by that.

I'll have to hunt again as for some reason the "Fast Startup" option wasn't visible even when I clicked the "show currently unavailable settings" dialog. I suspected it might be the case, but was left a bit stymied by that.

The fast startup option is mostly for laptops but hey, why dont you double check just to be sure? http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

• 2 weeks later...

The fast startup option is mostly for laptops but hey, why dont you double check just to be sure? http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/

I had disabled hibernation and that makes it so the checkbox doesn't even show up. Reenabled and unchecked. Testing since it's intermittent as heck.