when can you buy oculus rift

Mate

So guys, do you know when a normal consumer can buy a oculus rift? I had a look on amazon.de, but there are only other Vr headsets that are apparently fornphones or so. also, are there also any alternatives that have the same functions and can be used for gaming, because i have already saved up 250€ :)

Wasn't the consumer version planned to release end of this year? Anyhow, it's not out yet.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

So guys, do you know when a normal consumer can buy a oculus rift? I had a look on amazon.de, but there are only other Vr headsets that are apparently fornphones or so. also, are there also any alternatives that have the same functions and can be used for gaming, because i have already saved up 250€ :)

Developer- already out

Consumer-next year I believe

Steam VR and the others will be out next year too  

Wasn't the consumer version planned to release end of this year? Anyhow, it's not out yet.

i wondered cuz when i am playing simulators like dcs world there are people saying that they just got a oculus rift, but will it be in my budget and what are the alternatives?

Developer- already out

Consumer-next year I believe

Steam VR and the others will be out next year too

whats the difference between the consumer and developer kit?

Developers kit is for... well, developers. The design is not final and it lacks features. Also the resolution is quite low.

The consumer version will be the 'final' product with a new design, more features and higher res. This will become available for the masses on a later time.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

It speaks for itself really

Developer kit is used by developers to make and test vr games

Consumer will be a cheaper version for well.....consumers and gamers

Consumer version in q1 of 2016.

Controller in 1st half of 2016 aka q2.

The consumer version is much better than dk2.

There's a video on tested youtube channel posted in the last month or so. It's all about the consumer version.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

It speaks for itself really

Developer kit is used by developers to make and test vr games

Consumer will be a cheaper version for well.....consumers and gamers

ok, what resolution does each screen have on the consumer edition, cuz anything above 2x1080p cant realy get handled by my gpu on ultra settings with 60fps

ok, what resolution does each screen have on the consumer edition, cuz anything above 2x1080p cant realy get handled by my gpu on ultra settings with 60fps

2160×1200 so far.

970 or higher. 

Its good that they sey high standards and a minimum spec as a "bad" experiance on the oculus it horrible/sickening compared to a "bad" experiance on a normal screen.

2160×1200 so far.

970 or higher. 

Its good that they sey high standards and a minimum spec as a "bad" experiance on the oculus it horrible/sickening compared to a "bad" experiance on a normal screen.

2160x1200 with both screens together? so its 1080x600 for each one?my gpu is a EVGA GTX 970 oc'd to 1460mhz core with i5 4690k 4,2Ghz only

2160x1200 with both screens together? so its 1080x600 for each one?my gpu is a EVGA GTX 970 oc'd to 1460mhz core with i5 4690k 4,2Ghz only

should be enough. depends on the game tho. definitely not ultra settings by that time. then again even the effects probably have to change bit to suit the natur of the display

should be enough. depends on the game tho. definitely not ultra settings by that time. then again even the effects probably have to change bit to suit the natur of the display

how much will it cost doe?

how much will it cost doe?

no idea. they say between 200 n 400. Im guessing 300-350. but wont be suprised if its 399.

The dk2 is $350, which is not bad at all.  My brother has one and we play on it all the time.  I can't wait for the consumer version, also Sony's Morpheus is gonna be pretty competitive from what I've seen

Its1080x1200 per eye, not 1080x600. Only half the width, the height is the same.

Your specs fit the recommended ones, so you should be okay for all first party/rift exclusive games.

Other games, such as E:D, Star Citizen etc, all other games basically will depend on the game.

I also saw that you said in one of your other posts about "ultra at 60FPS". 60 FPS is fine for normal gaming, but the Rift requires 90 FPS not 60 for low-persistence.

Specs are high for a reason. A fairly high res screen, 90 FPS needed, overhead for the 3D etc, its pretty damn demanding.

Don't be expecting to play all games on Ultra.

That said there is also some cool software that should help reduce the load that both AMD/Nvidia are implementing as well as Oculus.

There is also the HTC Vive which we still haven't seen the final models for etc.

Its being made under the SteamVR branding, and is going to release earlier than the Rift, but more expensive due to the bundling of the Vive motion controllers.

Compare the two, (once the final version of the Vive has been shown). See what the advantages and disadvantages are for both, in both hardware and software, then pick.

Expect both to have "exclusive" games, so that could be a decider if one has a game you want over the other. Or it could be hardware, where you prefer the look, or tech in one of them.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Its1080x1200 per eye, not 1080x600. Only half the width, the height is the same.

Your specs fit the recommended ones, so you should be okay for all first party/rift exclusive games.

Other games, such as E:D, Star Citizen etc, all other games basically will depend on the game.

I also saw that you said in one of your other posts about "ultra at 60FPS". 60 FPS is fine for normal gaming, but the Rift requires 90 FPS not 60 for low-persistence.

Specs are high for a reason. A fairly high res screen, 90 FPS needed, overhead for the 3D etc, its pretty damn demanding.

Don't be expecting to play all games on Ultra.

That said there is also some cool software that should help reduce the load that both AMD/Nvidia are implementing as well as Oculus.

There is also the HTC Vive which we still haven't seen the final models for etc.

Its being made under the SteamVR branding, and is going to release earlier than the Rift, but more expensive due to the bundling of the Vive motion controllers.

Compare the two, (once the final version of the Vive has been shown). See what the advantages and disadvantages are for both, in both hardware and software, then pick.

Expect both to have "exclusive" games, so that could be a decider if one has a game you want over the other. Or it could be hardware, where you prefer the look, or tech in one of them.

but why exactly do I need 90Fps, can you explain it simpler please!DCS world, a pretty good sim for military aorcrafts, only supports 2 Threads and this game makes my i5 4,2ghz bottleneck my gtx 970, btw. its unplayable on AMD CPUs xD

Will it also work for Battlefield 4, so you can e.g. look around in the coxkpit of the heli or so? (isnt necessary for BF4 doe)

oh wqity at resolution of 1080x1200 per eye it shouldnt be too demanding, but why does it have a higher height than width?

but why exactly do I need 90Fps, can you explain it simpler please!DCS world, a pretty good sim for military aorcrafts, only supports 2 Threads and this game makes my i5 4,2ghz bottleneck my gtx 970, btw. its unplayable on AMD CPUs xD

Will it also work for Battlefield 4, so you can e.g. look around in the coxkpit of the heli or so? (isnt necessary for BF4 doe)

oh wqity at resolution of 1080x1200 per eye it shouldnt be too demanding, but why does it have a higher height than width?

Okay, so the rift panels use something called "low-persistence".

This basically means that the image is flickered on the screen, instead of a traditional display which leaves the image on the screen until the next frame is ready.

On the Rift, a frame is made, shown on the screen and then removed instantly after being shown. Then the next frame arrives, is shown on the screen and instantly removed.

This means that you need a much higher frame rate, other wise your eyes will perceive this flickering of the display, in that you would see black/blank frames.

Once at 75Hz +, you can't see the display flicker.

This is all done to reduce/eliminate motion blur. The first Rift Dev Kit (DK1), did not use this and the result was lots of smearing of the image.

The display was not updating fast enough so when you moved your head, the image would smear across the screen.

Low persistence fixed that.

For games like BF4, CoD, basically any game that isn't made for VR, there are ways of making it work, but its never as good as if the game was made with it.

You can get drivers that let you enable head tracking for these games, but its never as good, and could potentially cause motion sickness etc.

The other thing that some people do is instead of playing with head tracking is more to use the Rift as a virtual cinema. 

People where joking about it after the Xbone reveal of it, but being able to play games on a huge screen actually does sound pretty cool.#

Last part, the resolution is higher on the height that the width as the panels are orientated in portrait.

I'm know a lot less about this, but I think part of it is because the headset is using panels made for the mobile market, which are all used and designed to work best and look best in a portrait orientation. The aspect ratio, and maybe also the orientation, also helps reduce wasted screen space, so that could also be a reason.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Okay, so the rift panels use something called "low-persistence".

This basically means that the image is flickered on the screen, instead of a traditional display which leaves the image on the screen until the next frame is ready.

On the Rift, a frame is made, shown on the screen and then removed instantly after being shown. Then the next frame arrives, is shown on the screen and instantly removed.

This means that you need a much higher frame rate, other wise your eyes will perceive this flickering of the display, in that you would see black/blank frames.

Once at 75Hz +, you can't see the display flicker.

This is all done to reduce/eliminate motion blur. The first Rift Dev Kit (DK1), did not use this and the result was lots of smearing of the image.

The display was not updating fast enough so when you moved your head, the image would smear across the screen.

Low persistence fixed that.

For games like BF4, CoD, basically any game that isn't made for VR, there are ways of making it work, but its never as good as if the game was made with it.

You can get drivers that let you enable head tracking for these games, but its never as good, and could potentially cause motion sickness etc.

The other thing that some people do is instead of playing with head tracking is more to use the Rift as a virtual cinema. 

People where joking about it after the Xbone reveal of it, but being able to play games on a huge screen actually does sound pretty cool.#

Last part, the resolution is higher on the height that the width as the panels are orientated in portrait.

I'm know a lot less about this, but I think part of it is because the headset is using panels made for the mobile market, which are all used and designed to work best and look best in a portrait orientation. The aspect ratio, and maybe also the orientation, also helps reduce wasted screen space, so that could also be a reason.

thanks for the info, sir! So as long as i disable AA I should be able to play most games with a good experience, also, do you also see the border of the screens, or does it realy look like you were actaully there in real life?

thanks for the info, sir! So as long as i disable AA I should be able to play most games with a good experience, also, do you also see the border of the screens, or does it realy look like you were actaully there in real life?

Might have to turn down more than AA, depending the game.  Playing games on the occulus is a lot harder on your gpu because instead of displaying just one image on a display, it has to display two AND it has to distort the edges of the image so when you look through the lenses in each eye, it looks normal.  There is a glass lens in each eye that magnifies the image and the edges of the glass will distort the image, so your computer pre distorts it so it looks normal.

Also, you don't see the borders of the screens, when you are in game, all you notice is the game.  Trust me, it's a very immersive experience that really feels like you are there.