3x120mm vs 2x180mm radiator

I've been looking at possible water cooling radiator configurations for a custom case I've been planning. I came across these Coolstream WE series of radiators by EK-Waterblocks, designed for 180mm fans. When comparing the 3x120mm PE radiator to the 2x180 WE radiator, I noticed that they are extremely similar according to their specifications.

See for yourself:

3x120mm PE radiator: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-coolstream-pe-360-triple

2x180mm WE radiator: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-coolstream-we-360-dual

Their dimensions are almost identical, apart from the width of course, and they have the same split fin density of 19 FPI. Also, including the fans, they are similar price-wise as well, with the 180mm configuration being slightly cheaper.

So this got me thinking, how would these two radiators compare against each other performance-wise. On the one hand, there is a wide variety of 120mm fans optimized for static pressure, EK's Vardar series for example, where as there isn't that many 180mm fans to choose from, Silverstone's AP181 looking like the best choice IMO. On the other hand, the 2x180mm radiator has a bit more surface area due to it's width and also the 180mm fans have higher CFM on lower RPM's compared to the 120mm fans, while apparently making a lower pitch humming noise.

180mm radiators are extremely rare compared to 120mm radiators, since Silverstone is pretty much the only case manufacturer that supports them. But, what if someone were to make, oh I don't know, a custom case that supports 180mm radiators, which version of the 360mm radiator would be the smarter choice? I'm asking you, the oh-so-helpful LTT community, because I would actually want to see some real world performance comparisons.

Thank you in advance  :D

I've been looking at possible water cooling radiator configurations for a custom case I've been planning. I came across these Coolstream WE series of radiators by EK-Waterblocks, designed for 180mm fans. When comparing the 3x120mm PE radiator to the 2x180 WE radiator, I noticed that they are extremely similar according to their specifications.

See for yourself:

3x120mm PE radiator: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-coolstream-pe-360-triple

2x180mm WE radiator: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-coolstream-we-360-dual

Their dimensions are almost identical, apart from the width of course, and they have the same split fin density of 19 FPI. Also, including the fans, they are similar price-wise as well, with the 180mm configuration being slightly cheaper.

So this got me thinking, how would these two radiators compare against each other performance-wise. On the one hand, there is a wide variety of 120mm fans optimized for static pressure, EK's Vardar series for example, where as there isn't that many 180mm fans to choose from, Silverstone's AP181 looking like the best choice IMO. On the other hand, the 2x180mm radiator has a bit more surface area due to it's width and also the 180mm fans have higher CFM on lower RPM's compared to the 120mm fans, while apparently making a lower pitch humming noise.

180mm radiators are extremely rare compared to 120mm radiators, since Silverstone is pretty much the only case manufacturer that supports them. But, what if someone were to make, oh I don't know, a custom case that supports 180mm radiators, which version of the 360mm radiator would be the smarter choice? I'm asking you, the oh-so-helpful LTT community, because I would actually want to see some real world performance comparisons.

Thank you in advance  :D

Well you can find better 120mm fans for Static Pressure but 180mm could be run at lower speeds AFAIK

And surface area really does help when watercooling but idk

120/140mm are probably the better bet, I can't even think of any reputable 180mm fans.  To give you an example the EK 180mm fans push Air Flow: 122 m³/h or 1.1mm H2O Static Pressure @ 900rpm with 22db of sound. Noctua 120mm fans do Air flow 93.4 m³/h or 2,61 mm H2O Static Pressure @ 1500 rpm with 22db of sound as well.  When it comes to fans for rads static pressure is what you want and as you can see here the noctua fan kills the ek 180mm fan @ static pressure and they are approximately the same loudness (according to their info listed on their sites). 

So you could run the notcua fan at a lower speed and still get more airflow through the rad and be quiter then the ek 180mm fan, but the noctua fan costs like $10 more, there are also other good static pressure fans that are cheaper so I was just using noctua's as an example because I use them and I know they work great.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

120/140mm are probably the better bet, I can't even think of any reputable 180mm fans.  To give you an example the EK 180mm fans push Air Flow: 122 m³/h or 1.1mm H2O Static Pressure @ 900rpm with 22db of sound. Noctua 120mm fans do Air flow 93.4 m³/h or 2,61 mm H2O Static Pressure @ 1500 rpm with 22db of sound as well.  When it comes to fans for rads static pressure is what you want and as you can see here the noctua fan kills the ek 180mm fan @ static pressure and they are approximately the same loudness (according to their info listed on their sites). 

So you could run the notcua fan at a lower speed and still get more airflow through the rad and be quiter then the ek 180mm fan, but the noctua fan costs like $10 more, there are also other good static pressure fans that are cheaper so I was just using noctua's as an example because I use them and I know they work great.

Yeah I'm aware of the EK 180mm fan, which is produced by Gelid or something. However, if I were to use a 180mm fan it would be the Silverstone AP181, like I mentioned in my original post. I'm guessing you are talking about the Noctua NF-F12, but if I were to use a 120mm fan, it would be from the EK-Vardar series, which perform almost as good as the NF-F12, but look a lot better.

Comparing the options I have mentioned:

Silverstone AP181:

@600 RPM: 65 CFM, 0.9 mm H2O, 17 dB

@900 RPM: 100 CFM, 1.6 mm H2O, 25 dB

@1200 RPM: 130 CFM, 2.45 mm H2O, 34 dB

EK-Vardar 1150 RPM and 1450 RPM versions:

@1150 RPM: 40 CFM, 0.92 mm H2O, 23.7 dB

@1450 RPM: 52 CFM, 1.42 mm H2O, 25.6 dB

I highlighted the RPM's at which I would most likely run the fans at, theoretically. But trust me, I've been looking at all those numbers for a while and they don't really mean anything until they are proven with some tests :D. And my main focus in this topic are the radiators, not so much the fans I would be using, all though they matter as well.

but wouldnt the fact that you would need 3 120s replace 2 180s increase the db. also what if you have like 6 of those 2x180s would it really matter then still?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Yeah I'm aware of the EK 180mm fan, which is produced by Gelid or something. However, if I were to use a 180mm fan it would be the Silverstone AP181, like I mentioned in my original post. I'm guessing you are talking about the Noctua NF-F12, but if I were to use a 120mm fan, it would be from the EK-Vardar series, which perform almost as good as the NF-F12, but look a lot better.

Comparing the options I have mentioned:

Silverstone AP181:

@600 RPM: 65 CFM, 0.9 mm H2O, 17 dB

@900 RPM: 100 CFM, 1.6 mm H2O, 25 dB

@1200 RPM: 130 CFM, 2.45 mm H2O, 34 dB

EK-Vardar 1150 RPM and 1450 RPM versions:

@1150 RPM: 40 CFM, 0.92 mm H2O, 23.7 dB

@1450 RPM: 52 CFM, 1.42 mm H2O, 25.6 dB

I highlighted the RPM's at which I would most likely run the fans at, theoretically. But trust me, I've been looking at all those numbers for a while and they don't really mean anything until they are proven with some tests :D. And my main focus in this topic are the radiators, not so much the fans I would be using, all though they matter as well.

You for got that Silverstone AP181 is 32mm deep vs Vardar's 25mm.

Yes, it might not seem like much, but it can be enough to not manage to fit it into some cases.

I have done a comparison test already, and the EK WE360 outperforms the EK PE360 with most decent 180mm fans. Check out the Silverstone FM181 if you can fit it in.

Glad to see you here! I kind of figured the WE would outperform the PE, but do you have any results listed anywhere or can you roughly tell how big of a gap there is between these radiators. And for that matter, is the performance closer to a triple 120mm or a triple 140mm radiator? Also I bet the FM181 is a better fan, but is it really worth the extra price and in my case, no pun intended, the included fan controller will be useless.

You for got that Silverstone AP181 is 32mm deep vs Vardar's 25mm.

Yes, it might not seem like much, but it can be enough to not manage to fit it into some cases.

Yeah forgot to mention that, installing a 32mm thick fan would require some special length screws with the radiator.