Buy a 970, OR [Most likely] need an upgrade

So about a year ago i built a PC based off the full opinion of one of my friends... I've come to realize that he is not the most informed on the PC building level.  My plan was to buy all my parts without the graphics card, so I could save up my money and buy a GTX 970, so now is that time. But looking at my hardware now, and I realize, I MAY(Probably) have made some huge mistakes when buying these parts one year ago.  

I'm just looking for PC that can handle a GTX 970, and I don't think my current one can.  I am willing to buy new hardware If need be.  

Current PC

MotherBoard  -   ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

PSU                 -    CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 

CPU                 -   AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor

RAM                -  CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B

GPU                 -  None yet.

I'm looking for your input on whether I can go ahead and buy a GTX 970,  

If so: Will my system hinder the life span of the 970??

OR

Upgrade [ AND Please leave suggestions as to what I should upgrade to ]

Thank you so Much!

The fx 6300 will hold back the 970 for a bit, but judging by the fact that you don't have anything now get a r9 390 or 970 and save up for platform upgrade later.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Upgrade mobo/CPU NOW! or else it will bottleneck the 970 quite a bit

The fx 6300 will hold back the 970 for a bit, but judging by the fact that you don't have anything now get a r9 390 or 970 and save up for platform upgrade later.

970 now, CPU/mobo upgrade later when you have the money.

do this.

Alright, This is very Helpful!!

Now does anyone know if my system right now will have an effect on the life span for the 970?

Alright, This is very Helpful!!  Now do any you guys know if my system right now will have an effect on the life span for the 970?

What like..will your AMD CPU sneak into your 970s room and poison it because AMD CPUs hate Greenies? No, I dont think so...

The 6300 will for sure hold back that 970. 

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

Alright, This is very Helpful!!

Now does anyone know if my system right now will have an effect on the life span for the 970?

Not really, unless your PSU goes ghost and harms the rest of the system doing it, the 6300 may raise heat levels by a smidgen overall compared to some other CPUs but that shouldn't have any noticeably untoward effect.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate