Microsoft marries HoloLens with Autodesk's Maya 3-D modeling software

jos
Now it can be used for the 3-D modeling of products. Lorraine Bardeen, director of business development for Windows and devices, told the WPC keynote audience that enterprises can redefine work "by using existing tools in combination with Microsoft HoloLens."

Bardeen demonstrated how HoloLens could be used with Maya software to design a motorcycle. Microsoft used a specially designed camera to show the audience what Dan McCulloch, studio manager for Windows and devices, was seeing on stage while wearing a HoloLens headset.

As McCulloch worked to design a motorcycle using the Maya software, a 3-D representation along with a tool bar could be seen on the desk next to the computer screen. He noted that HoloLens could eliminate the need and expense of making physical 3-D printed images of the model.

Not only were changes made to the computer screen reflected in the 3-D model, but McCulloch was able to make the changes directly on the 3-D model using his mouse, voice command and hand gestures and then overlay the changes on an actual motorcycle on stage.

Following the demonstration, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella commented: "For the first time, we are going to have a computer that is able to mix the digital and real worlds. Ever since we announced this in January, we have been getting a tremendous amount of interest from developers and enterprise customers. We think that many of the enterprise processes that use computers can be fundamentally changed" with HoloLens.

Microsoft is really pushing for enterprise where money is. while others are on games..

If anyone was wondering some actions were happening before he said them its because the audio is out of sync, you can tell by looking at their lips when they are talking.

But my god, that is incredible. HoloLens blows me away every time I see it in action.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Hololens v1 will be a darling for enterprise, once they improve the FoV to the levels of the original promo material and increase performance is when it will be worthwhile in the consumer space

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Coming from vfx background I can tell that this will ease off the technical language barrier between the artist modeling and the director or producer as they will be able to look at it by themselves. For 3d work it is useless as you're much quicker with the monitor then walking around and time is money

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

yeah, pretty cool. Nothing I haven't seen in Star Trek episodes 20 odd years ago;)

But in all seriousness if it looks that sophisticated through the actual lens I cannot wait to see what use cases people can up with.

Has MS given a release date for the public yet? As in months or years?

Those to though the woman and that dude sound like robots, and very NOT live-like. I don't get it how they can talk about this stuff like it's completely normal.

Man this is interesting...

I wonder if my headphone stand would still be bunk if I designed it using this?

This is god damn cool, Microsoft please make this work. I'm sick of apple being considered the innovative ones !

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s