Windows 8 reactivation after Hardware change

Liam-McShane

Ok so today i changed my CPU and motherboard from an AMD based system to a Haswell system. Windows booted fine after configuring a few things. It prompted me that i needed to reactivate so i went ahead only it said "This product key is already being used on another PC. Try a different key or buy a new one." Now there is also an option to contact Microsoft support which i was willing to try to explain that i had changed hardware since others had had success using this method. I chose my country (UK) and clicked next but i got an error code: post-1657-0-35615300-1375129599_thumb.pn Is there any way around this? Will a fresh install fix this, or will i have to buy another copy?

Thank you  :)

Edit: Sorry for the overly large picture, i don't know how to resize it.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

The OS is bound to the mobo, but if you explain things to Microsoft you shouldnt have to buy a new copy. Hit up their customer service.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Have you tried activating it in Safe mode? Failing that, perhaps google / ask Microsoft for the number directly.

EDIT: Bit off Googling found this number: 0844 8002400

Try that, not sure if it's still their number to use but worth a shot nonetheless.

Ok so today i changed my CPU and motherboard from an AMD based system to a Haswell system. Windows booted fine after configuring a few things. It prompted me that i needed to reactivate so i went ahead only it said "This product key is already being used on another PC. Try a different key or buy a new one." Now there is also an option to contact Microsoft support which i was willing to try to explain that i had changed hardware since others had had success using this method. I chose my country (UK) and clicked next but i got an error code: attachicon.gifUntitled.png Is there any way around this? Will a fresh install fix this, or will i have to buy another copy?

Thank you  :)

Edit: Sorry for the overly large picture, i don't know how to resize it.

I call in all the time when I load my OEM copy... It'll give you a string of numbers that you have to say clearly into the phone. After, when the machine says "how many computers have this copy of windows installed?" say "one". and the machine will give you another set of numbers to type into a dialogue box that will activate windows again for you!

I call in all the time when I load my OEM copy... It'll give you a string of numbers that you have to say clearly into the phone. After, when the machine says "how many computers have this copy of windows installed?" say "one". and the machine will give you another set of numbers to type into a dialogue box that will activate windows again for you!

Do you have the number? Is the one Dave gave me correct? 

The Terrible HP

Do you have the number? Is the one Dave gave me correct? 

His will be different as he is from the US. Try that number i gave you, if it's wrong then it most likely won't even get to the ringing tone. It will be an automated process either way, unless you want to talk to an actual person.

Ok i called the number and it was Microsoft however i made it to the point when i was waiting to here from a Microsoft employee and music played but then it stopped and it said "Thank you for calling Microsoft" then it beeped and then nothing. I sat there for over 10 minutes. This has happened to me twice now. Is this normal or do i have to wait longer?

The Terrible HP

On another forum, someone said pressing 0 got you straight to a person so it may be an idea to do that if the automated process doesn't work.

I tried a different number and they basically said it's a registry problem and my Windows free support is out of warranty (go figure) and I'm not prepared to pay. 

Edit: I think what i'm going to try next is reinstall windows with my old hardware, therefore it will still be activated, then use my new hardware. Something last time broke my registry so hopefully this time it will be ok being a fresh install.

The Terrible HP

1) Reinstall windows

2) Go to activation, select by telephone, call the 800 number.

3) Keep telling the the automated voice you wish to speak to a person.

4) Tell person it is the same system but you had to upgrade the hardware...they will ask if the OS is on any other computers...obviously it is not so answer no.

5) Get activation code.

6) Done.

7)???

8)Profit.

I wouldn't recommend the hassle you are about put yourself through and reinstall with old hardware and then switch to new. The activation ID will still be tied to the hardware the OS was installed with.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X