4460?

Sup LTT. 

So payday has finally come and i'm all set to upgrade. 

I will be upgrading to a i5 4460 and an MSI H81.

I just wanted to know if waiting a few more weeks and getting a 4690K and Z97 would be worth it?

(NOTE: I would likely just buy a 212 EVO to overclock on, also have a cheap case) 

I know this is a cliche question but now that it's to do with my PC i'm interested!

I know that the 4460 is a MEGA jump up from my A8 and will give me 100% GPU usage in all my games so that's why im extra curious, especially as the money saved could get me a HDMI screen and a new keyboard and mouse. 

hell yeah its just few weeks I would highly suggest for you to wait.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If you would be overclocking wait and get the 4690k with z97 board. That would be a great combo

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

I just wanted to know if waiting a few more weeks and getting a 4690K and Z97 would be worth it?

i think you should save some more, check deals on a cheap Z97 board...drive to a micro-center if possible.

You can overclock the 4690K on a 212 EVO quite a bit, giving it an easy 20% boost over the 4460...but then if you don't plan on upgrading to a more powerful GPU and play AAA titles on Ultra settings then there's no point and you better save and order the 4460...also it's the fact that the H81 board from MSI is VERY cheap i would try to get at least an MSI or Asrock H97 motherboard..

Here for example they have a combo with the Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard and i5-4460, they have a promo code (PRIMOPROMO) for 15% off on both the motherboard and CPU and it ends tomorrow:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($161.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.70 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $231.65

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-15 07:32 EDT-0400

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

But he wants new monitor if I get it correctly and keyboard and mouse. What gpu are you using and what monitor you want to get?

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

Sup LTT. 

(NOTE: I would likely just buy a 212 EVO to overclock on, also have a cheap case) 

I know this is a cliche question but now that it's to do with my PC i'm interested!

I know that the 4460 is a MEGA jump up from my A8 and will give me 100% GPU usage in all my games so that's why im extra curious, especially as the money saved could get me a HDMI screen and a new keyboard and mouse. 

As a 4690k user, i would say stick with the 4460 an h81. In gaming/daily tasks you wont be getting much more for the price premium.

Better off to spend elsewhere, so go get urself a better screen, cus thats what you will be looking at anyways.

Who cares if compression takes few seconds longer and and maybe 0-3fps less in games, if you have a crappy monitor. 

Honeslty i dont know why people hate on the h81 so much, most of the features on the 97 chipset wont be used anyways. Just get one with a usb3 header(if your case uses front panel usb3)  just check that ur case doesnt. and a version with updated bios. Hit me up if you need help choosing. 

As a 4690k user, i would say stick with the 4460 an h81. In gaming/daily tasks you wont be getting much more for the price premium.

Better off to spend elsewhere, so go get urself a better screen, cus thats what you will be looking at anyways.

Who cares if compression takes few seconds longer and and maybe 0-3fps less in games, if you have a crappy monitor.

Honeslty i dont know why people hate on the h81 so much, most of the features on the 97 chipset wont be used anyways. Just get one with a usb3 header(if your case uses front panel usb3) just check that ur case doesnt. and a version with updated bios. Hit me up if you need help choosing.

Yup and better still get a i5 4590. Cost almost the same with much better performace than i5 4460.

I would get the I5 4690K. If you don't overclock, you won't notice much difference; however overclocking just extends the lifetime of the system and means you won't have to upgrade so soon.

I would get the I5 4690K. If you don't overclock, you won't notice much difference; however overclocking just extends the lifetime of the system and means you won't have to upgrade so soon.

No its not. "Feeling" pc speed involves more than just a higher clocked cpu.

I have run many benchmarks on my 4690k at stock and at 4.8ghz, only things that require raw cpu speed benefit (video encoding, compression and installation to a certain degree), games not so much.

I think most people can agree Ocing the 4690k isnt worth as much as Ocing the 4790k for example.

As for "system lifetime" it will be time to move on to a more power/cost friendly solution by the time he upgrades again, in i donno 2 years?. Correct me if im wrong.

I think most people can agree Ocing the 4690k isnt worth as much as Ocing the 4790k for example.

As for "system lifetime" it will be time to move on to a more power/cost friendly solution by the time he upgrades again, in i donno 2 years?. Correct me if im wrong.

Yeah id say that's correct. 

Thanks for the help, I really wanted the opinion of someone with a 4690k.

I don't see myself upgrading my 760 anytime soon anyway, and a 4460 will be way more than enough to drive it!

My main point of upgrade is my monitor as im still using a VGA one. 

Why is OCing the I7 4790K better than the I5 4690K? Presuming you get the same OC, and you are using it for the same things, they will both improve equally as well. ANyways, most games use 1 or 2 cores, in which case OCing is a big benefit. And as for system lifespan, if I, for example, bought an I7 875K (max turbo 3.6), now I could OC it and it would be running at 4.6, which is a big improvement. If I had just bought an I7 875, I could do nothing.

Yeah id say that's correct. 

Thanks for the help, I really wanted the opinion of someone with a 4690k.

I don't see myself upgrading my 760 anytime soon anyway, and a 4460 will be way more than enough to drive it!

My main point of upgrade is my monitor as im still using a VGA one. 

Treat yourself to a nice screen :) 

Why is OCing the I7 4790K better than the I5 4690K? Presuming you get the same OC, and you are using it for the same things, they will both improve equally as well. ANyways, most games use 1 or 2 cores, in which case OCing is a big benefit. And as for system lifespan, if I, for example, bought an I7 875K (max turbo 3.6), now I could OC it and it would be running at 4.6, which is a big improvement. If I had just bought an I7 875, I could do nothing.

ratio wise. the stock xeons and stock i7 cant turbo high on all 4 cores. 

If you own a 4960k, and have tried this extensively then please show some screenshots. 

You are corerct bout the 875k but IPC improvements from the first gen Core I cpus were big(relatively). but since 2/3/4/5gen not so much.

Maybe the skylake is another big jump i donno, havent seen it, but is the 4460/4590 gonna be slow in the next 2-3 years? i doubt it.

if it is, then so will the the entire 4th gen linup pretty much.

More cores. 

In games you wont see a difference though, unless you are running 3/4 way SLI or Crossfire. 

Sup LTT. 

I have a 4460 and a Z97 for some reason