GTX 960 | 2GB or 4GB?

ShaunOfNintendo

So here's my situation.

I'm about to get a GTX 960 to replace my Radeon HD 7870

My main issue is that I can't spend more than about €250 on this card.

Most 2GB version of this card I found were priced around €210 with most 4GB ones being €300+ aside from this one.

My only reason for hesitating with that one is that I've been told that I'd be better off with either the Aaus Strix or Windforce variants of this card as they are more efficient with cooling. I'm not sure how good PYN's cards are my comparison.

Also, I've had many people tell me that I'd be better off spending more to get something like the GTX 970, but it's just more than I'm willing to spend for now.

1080p 30fps (maybe 60fps if I'm lucky) is more than enough or what I'm looking to play since I only have a 1080p monitor right now anyways

I've made the mistake before of buying a a graphics card before getting more solid opinions, so I just want to make sure I don't make that mistake again.

Thanks for your time!

get a 280x, you'll get better performance and more vram

In answer to your title:

4gb these days is pretty much the minimum for 1080p, you can just brush by with 2gb but not better than MED on AAA's

Response to your post:

I would have to say that Gigabyte rules here! I am getting a 970 from them, depends on if u are going to overclock and system colour theme! But I think Gigabyte wins!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

I think for your situation you'd be better off by getting yourself an AMD R9 290. Those cards are extremely good, and they go on sale alot. 

In most games the r9 290 beats the gtx970. You get much more bang for your buck.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

I think for your situation you'd be better off by getting yourself an AMD R9 290. Those cards are extremely good, and they go on sale alot. 

In most games the r9 290 beats the gtx970. You get much more bang for your buck.

no... the 290x is on par with the 970, the 290 is less powerful but cheaper, but yeah dont get a 960, pointless, its a rebrand basically.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

So here's my situation.

Most 2GB version of this card I found were priced around €210 with most 4GB ones being €300+ aside from this one.

My only reason for hesitating with that one is that I've been told that I'd be better off with either the Aaus Strix or Windforce variants of this card as they are more efficient with cooling. I'm not sure how good PYN's cards are my comparison.

Also, I've had many people tell me that I'd be better off spending more to get something like the GTX 970, but it's just more than I'm willing to spend for now.

1080p 30fps (maybe 60fps if I'm lucky) is more than enough or what I'm looking to play since I only have a 1080p monitor right now anyways

I've made the mistake before of buying a a graphics card before getting more solid opinions, so I just want to make sure I don't make that mistake again.

Thanks for your time!

Get an AMD R9 380. Offers better performance. Also, ignore @Samsterstorm . These cards are not really powerful enough to use more than 2GB, unless you are using Ultra settings on an AAA title; but, these cards cannot run Ultra smoothly anyways. 4GB budget cards are a waste of money, avoid them.

I'd rather get a xfx r9 290, it sells for 240 dollars right now.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

So here's my situation.

Thanks for your time!

I'd say go for the 280X or 290 if you can find one that fits your budget. They will both outperform the 960 and they have mote ram(the 280X has 3 and 4 for the 290

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Get an AMD R9 380. Offers better performance. Also, ignore @Samsterstorm . These cards are not really powerful enough to use more than 2GB, unless you are using Ultra settings on an AAA title; but, these cards cannot run Ultra smoothly anyways. 4GB budget cards are a waste of money, avoid them.

I believe the 380 is a 2GB card...in which case he would be better off with a 280X

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I got 4 gig 960 and and really dont regret spending the little extra for 2 more gigs, it pays off best in GTA V which can use over 2 GB of VRAM in 1050p for me.

EVGA-NVIDIA-GTX-750Ti-2GB-SC-Graphics-Ca

More than enough for what you're looking for.  Can be had for as little as $120.  No need a huge power supply.  Gave a copy of The Witcher 3 for free last month.  Check around.

I got 4 gig 960 and and really dont regret spending the little extra for 2 more gigs, it pays off best in GTA V which can use over 2 GB of VRAM in 1050p for me.

what settings do u use? what fps do you get?

i was thinking 2gb may cut it on the kind of (lower) settings suitable on a 960

So here's my situation.

Thanks for your time!

Where do you live cause those prices seem way to high for me...

Look at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Overclocked-GDDR5-Graphics-GV-N960WF2OC-4GD/dp/B00VBNT41G/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436980556&sr=1-13&keywords=gtx+960&pebp=1436980619185&perid=1W2JYC89EX89DATYXNMW

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

what settings do u use? what fps do you get?

i was thinking 2gb may cut it on the kind of (lower) settings suitable on a 960

I dont use any form of AA, V Sync is off, every other setting is Seto to High or Very High as far theyre allowed, i dont use Ultra settings since they draw so much fps but dont improve visual quality, HD Shadows are off too, all slider settings are maxed aswell, Long Shadows and High Detail Streaming are on too, i get near 70 fps average with dips below 60 - 50 fps at times.