A GPU Dilemma

I am looking to buy a new GPU to replace my GTX 660 3GB.  It's getting a bit old and games are starting to turn their noses up at it.  This will not do. I need an upgrade.  So I have been having a bit of an internal struggle lately.   I've been looking at the AMD's 390 and 390X as well as the GTX 970 and 980.  About twice a week, I make a soft decision on one card or another, then change my mind and plan on getting another card.  I'm hoping you fine experts and hobbyist can help me with my indecision and get me playing "The Witcher 3" in style.

What I Am Working With

- My TV is a 1080p with a 60 fps refresh rate.

- I have a new Corsair HX750i PSU (Love it!)

- I have a humble FX 6300 that I OC'd to 4.4 Ghz (I will upgrade this next)

- 16GB RAM

What I Am Going Back And Forth Over

- I like the R9 300 series mainly because of the extra RAM.  I realize that the vast majority of games today don't need more than the 3.5GB Nvidia gives you.  however, what does the future hold?  Will developers start asking for more VRAM now that the AMD (and I assume Nvidia's next line) gives you more?

- If i go 390(X) i'll have the VRAM to spare and keep my card relevant for the unknown future.  However, my 750 watt GPU won't be able to handle 2 in crossfire.  So, I'm stuck with a single card.  That means i'd likely go with the R9 390X and that makes the AMD route a pricier one.

- The Nvidia GTX 970 is an attractive option due to it's lower price and it's low power consumption.  I can SLI 970's to keep up with the times if I need to and not trash my pretty new power supply in a year or so.   From what I've been reading and watching, two 970's can keep the pace with the best cards currently out there.

- Though, SLIing a 970 doesn't give me more VRAM.  If games start demanding more VRAM, I'll need to replace the card in a few years.

- Lately developers have taken an apathetic approach to PC hardware optimization.  Will the 970 even be able to handle games in these dark times?

Conclusion

So, I go in circles over this.  Lately I've been thinking about getting a card that will get me through the next couple years, kick the can down the road and choose between the GTX 1180 and R9 590X.  By then i'll have more money to throw at this problem.  So, what card do you think would be best to keep me playing games for the 1.5-2 years?  Will VRAM be something i need to worry of or shut up about already? 

thank you for reading and your help.

I love my GTX 960 to bits. It's overkill for all the games I play and I never get more than 45C (except for the stress test I recently did, which took it up to 64C)

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

Why don't you just get a 980Ti if you have enough money to buy two 970s? It's better in every possible way.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

Isn't it better to upgrade the CPU first?

I think it would significantly boost performance.

Anyway, 980Ti is your answer.

I don't know if this has been confirmed, but if you use DX12, you can physically stack the VRAM. So, SLI 970's would give you 8GB (or rather 7GB of fast) of VRAM. 

That is wonderful news and, if true will make my decision on the spot.

Why don't you just get a 980Ti if you have enough money to buy two 970s? It's better in every possible way.

I should have been more clear.  I would be adding the 970 months, if not a year later.  I do not have the budget for a 980ti.  Though, I agree, that would be best.

Isn't it better to upgrade the CPU first?

I think it would significantly boost performance.

Anyway, 980Ti is your answer.

I'll be upgrading that next.  probably this summer.  Both chips are long in the tooth.

i would choose the r9 390 route

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Just a heads up, my 970 gets around 40-60fps in The Witcher 3 at ultra (OC Core 1478mhz OC memory 8001mhz) I also use my 660 as a dedicated PhysX card. I have to recheck my Vram usage.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

Previously using a 970, and before picking up a 980 Ti, I had planned to SLI 970's with the only real limiting factor being the lack of VRAM. If DirectX 12 genuinely fixes this across the board - keeping in mind, you may not see widespread adoption of this for a year or more - this is probably the best bang for the buck. nVidia releases drivers like the world is running out of them, so SLI profiles are plentiful.

Core i7 5820k 4.0Ghz (all 6 cores, Noctua NH-D15) | Asus X99-Deluxe | ZOTAC GeForce 980 Ti (water cooled) @ 1400 core/stock VRAM | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 | 1.5TB SSD | Corsair 400Q | eVGA Supernova G2 850 watt | Dell UltraSharp U2515H, 25.5" 1440p IPS